2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Yeah I think you are right, they want mature age players AND they still want to take draftees. Therefore for me the mooted trade of Pick 3 and 23 for Bakes, 10 and 29 makes a lot of sense for them.

They get their mature age player, but retain the same number of picks, but slide back down the order.
We get to trade our picks up the order to get as high as possible.

I've just had a quick stab at some trades, and if we did that, we might still end up with 1, 3, 6, 9, 12 and 21. With those trades I've given up our F3rd but thats not a huge loss.

I've also held our very late picks 66 and 73 (which will come in a bit) to take the NGA kid (can't remember his name) if we want him.
Future picks become way more valuable with the rule change so we need to be careful about trading them out when we are rebuilding. If anything we want to trade some in .

Reactions: 1 user
If I'm Brisbane and the Tigers and North are talking about bidding on Ashcroft "so pay up", I'd be reminding clubs about JHF and the certainty that Ashcroft would be traded to Brisbane within 2 years.

If I'm Brisbane and the Tigers and North are talking about bidding on Ashcroft "so pay up", I'd be reminding clubs about JHF and the certainty that Ashcroft would be traded to Brisbane within 2 years.
Right, so its an amicable negotiation.
Plus Brisbane can only pay once, to one club. If we get the trade and dont bid, then north will bid at 2. The lions will still need a lot of points regardless.

There is little incentive for bris to keep their first pick. It will be used up on the ashcroft bid, and their 2025 first will also be pushed back. So they get stung twice.

If they pick swap they can accumulate points to match and not have their future first impacted.
In essence for the lions they want to protect their f1

Ummm.
Pretty sure that pick 40 n 50 won't be anywhere remotely near enough points to get Ashcroft unless no-one bids on him till around pick 20 something. Brisvegas have bugger all drafting points available even if they keep their first pick in the draft. Just to get Ashcroft they need to give up their pick 14 valued at approx 1100 points for a bunch of junk picks that will total somewhere around 1500 to 2000 points to add to their other scrap points depending on if Ashcroft is bid at 1 or 2. Then on top of that, they'll still need to find some more junk points so they can draft that academy kid they've got floating around, if they actually want him.

It's not simply a matter of a gotcha call, it's simply a matter of doing some fair n worthwhile deals rather than just handing out freebies. If we're getting anywhere near the supposed draft picks this year that so many punters are salivating about. Then getting a pick around 16 to 20 off Brisvegas for helping them get the best kid in the draft super cheap while torching a bunch of our own trading value is fairly *smile* stupid. There'll be other clubs that we can do deals with for some of our mid draft picks to either bolster a trade or patch into next years draft if our blokes have half an idea of what they are doing.
We trade late picks for pick 14.
Torch the late picks for someone with a higher chance of being elite.
Yep!

Your proposal is to be involved in some future possible trades that havent yet eventuated. Its wishing and hoping.
And most likely doesnt happen.
And at best could give us more picks in the 30s and 40s.
Nup.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
In relation to trading for brisbanes first round pick we are in an excellent position given that there are very few clubs that have points to spare and so we should t overpay. It all depends on what happens at end of the trade period but at the moment only GC and Richmond are likely to have abundant draft capital. As such with limited options to deal with they should not get a points premium (and if they are desperate for points may even pay a premium).

I reckon with that hand we'd be crazy not to grab Armstrong if he presents. Kids going to be a beauty imo
What do you think of his contested marking and ability to hold his position and bring the ball to ground?

He seems a JUH type without the insane vertical leap

Good call. That's exactly why it was put in place.
Ashcroft might well want to stay a Tiger after 3 seasons. Even still we'd be well compensated then. Don't think the Lions will take that punt.
Only problem then will be Tasmania and their fist full of top end picks devaluing any other club's picks

Reactions: 2 users
What do you think of his contested marking and ability to hold his position and bring the ball to ground?

He seems a JUH type without the insane vertical leap
He took some awesome contested marks in the National U18 final at Marvel including a beauty on the wing opposed to two defenders that had the recruiters gasping in awe. He's also a lovely kick, particularly set shot kicking. He's the best KPF in the draft by a mile imo. Kicked 5 goals in the final that they won by a kick.

There is little incentive for bris to keep their first pick. It will be used up on the ashcroft bid, and their 2025 first will also be pushed back. So they get stung twice.
Is there any other club who has the late picks they could trade with or are we the only option?
Playing devils advocate, but if we had Picks 1,3 and 6, could we get the trifecta of FOS, Lalor and Smith?

1 - Rich - FOS
2 - NM - Trainor - would they do this or try and trade down?
3 - Rich - Lalor
4 - Adel - Draper
5 - Melb - Reid
6 - Rich - Smith

Could that happen? Would be a dream come true for a lot on here I suspect.

If we got Berry at 9, then someone might need to check on Ezy - he could be in some sort of ecstatic coma
I understand the need for mids and small/medium forwards but personally I would like to see us target the best KPF in the draft as well. We have a massive need for a young high quality tall forward.

If there was one still there at pick 9 I would be seriously thinking of taking him.

It’s absolutely essential we bid on Ashcroft at 1. Let’s bleed the lions given they will have to trade with us for points. Let’s convert later picks this year into their first next year and make it in our favour. We will give you the 1000 points you need this year for your first pick next year. Let them waste this years first round pick so our later picks also come in. Given we need speed I would also bid on Lombard at 9 or 10 as you know the suns will match and it also s makes our later picks come in.
100%,only way Brisbane gets off the hook us,sell is your first pick or more than happy to land Ashcroft

JHF was 1 year, and already the punters are gossiping abut when Reid will come back to Vic. Ashcroft will be the same. (Draper will also be targeted by SA clubs with each contract.)
its irrelevant because the Lions will match any bid on Ashcroft, but he is Victorian, so there is a big difference between he and those other guys who want to go "home".

Reactions: 4 users