2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Yes if we trade baker plus 10 for pick 3 we need something back for sure maybe a future 2nd. Personally I want more 1st round picks in this draft not less.

Reactions: 2 users
No way we give them baker and pick 6 For pick 3
baker and Brisbane’s first pick which we will get for not bidding on Ashcroft

Reactions: 4 users
Yep FOS only 16 disp Jagga 31d and a goal
If FOS goes number 1, he’ll be the lowest possession non key position player I can remember in the last 10 years picked at number 1.
Many on here have understandably bemoaned drafting low possession midfielders from junior ranks and yet here we are still justifying it due to injuries.
Big risk. Weight of draft picks may assist having a throw at the stumps and potentially missing out on a Smith or Draper because of it but picking up a Lalor and Reid
Interesting times.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
The West Australian reported today that the Eagles have ruled out a straight swap for Baker and Pick 3. No surprise there. I wonder if they will consider Baker and Pick 10 (with a later exchange). Pick 10 would get them Bo Allen you'd think (saw him interviewed at Peel today and he is an impressive specimen and a well spoken young fella).

The deeper Hawthorn go into finals, the harder it will be to get Allen with the Hawks pick for Barrass if it ends up being 15/16+
No surprise there
Baker + 10 = WC pick 3

Reactions: 1 users
The West Australian quoting Don Pyke that WC are interested in Bolton, Baker, Graham and Warner.

Pick 3 not on the table in a direct trade for Baker - no surprise. Not much in the story and The West Australian just speculated about pick 6 because Richmond are dealing with Gold Coast. Couldn't possibly see Richmond trading that for 3 with Baker - just a reporter putting that in.

Of course did not mention the other 1st round picks the Richmond might get from Fremantle etc as it's a story mainly quoting Don Pyke on WC interest in Baker and other players.

West Coast Eagles rule out trading pick three for Richmond vice captain Liam Baker in ‘standalone’ trade​

Glen QuartermainThe West Australian
Sun, 8 September 2024 1:28PM

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke has ruled out giving up pick three on its own in this year’s draft to Richmond in a direct trade for Liam Baker.
But Pyke did not rule out parting with three and securing a top-10 pick and the West Australian premiership mid-forward.

The Tigers are in negotiations with Gold Coast over the future of Daniel Rioli with the pick six mentioned in that deal a chance to be on-traded to the Eagles.
“Not as a standalone,” Pyke told ABC Radio.

“The scenarios are varied and different with ultimately what we would be prepared to part with for Liam versus what does it look like for us in our trade hand and the draft table.

“It’s hard because the trade stuff starts in about a month’s time. I know the conversations have already started but there is a fair bit of water to go under the bridge before we get to that.

“We are really mindful and want to reassure our members and fans we are going to make sure we do this in a really diligent way and really sensible way that hopefully we can bring in some mature talent but we can also make sure we have a good draft hand to bring in our younger talent.

‘Historically that is where the club has done very well. And this year’s draft falls very deep I am led to believe. We don’t want to miss out.

“I’ve said probably from the middle of the year, where we are at, we want the best of both worlds. We want to bring in some talent, mature, that can help us but we also want to make sure we have our draft talent to keep that draft talent coming on board so that we have some high-end picks.”

He confirmed Baker, Shai Bolton, Jack Graham and Chad Warner were also part of discussions.

”We are having conversations around what that might look like,” Pyke said.

“There are negotiations around trade, around contracts, term, and we are working through that.

“We are trying to have the view that if we put enough lines in the water we will add something there. We need to be sure we are adding to the list in the right way that builds towards what we need for the future. That’s where it’s at.”

Richmond’s new CEO Shane Dunne said this week if would take an “extraordinary” deal to part with contracted players Bolton and Rioli.

Baker is uncontracted, and while he is leaning towards the Eagles, his management has told the Dockers and West Coast he is yet to come to an official decision.

The Dockers have three first-round picks in this year’s draft and are also in the mix for Baker and Bolton, along with Sydney’s Chad Warner, who is out of contract at the end of next season.

Eagles defender Tom Barrass has requested a trade to Hawthorn with the Hawks will be prepared to give up a first-round pick, which will depend on how deep the go in September.

“The situation with Tom is those conversations will have started now and we will have those with Hawthorn without necessarily putting it out there as to what we want,” Pyke said.

“Understanding he is a contracted player and is a required player. He has made a decision and so we will try and negotiate in our best interests to get what we can for that trade if it is to eventuate.”

Do we bid on Ashcroft or do a deal with Brisbane agreeing not to?

Don't like the idea of bidding first for a player we can't get, sort of takes the shine off the number 1 pick.

DS
If we rate Ashcroft worthy of pick 1 We must bid on him and keep draft honest

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
If we rate Ashcroft number 1 or close to it, we have to bid on him. Or threaten to to get what we want.
No more Mr Nice Guys. Threaten every club and cause mayhem.
Time to get nasty.

Yep no way Brisbane wouldn't match if we bid at 1 and there would be no egg on our face if they didn't, (which is just not going to happen).
So you go to them and say we can save you upfront 473 points minimum, (= to pick #37), by not bidding at 1 if you choose us to deal with us for pick 14, (or whatever), rather than someone else, (other clubs are already looking to get hold of that pick).

Last edited:
Haven’t seen much talk about the SA kid Dobson , I never like giving up high picks on big doofuses, however this bloke looks pretty good with the added bonus of being a basketballer 😁 , with the potential of having a lot of picks I wouldn’t be against getting a young ruck in the Dobson class with a pick around 20

West Coast Eagles rule out trading pick three for Richmond vice captain Liam Baker in ‘standalone’ trade​

Glen QuartermainThe West Australian
Sun, 8 September 2024 1:28PM

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke has ruled out giving up pick three on its own in this year’s draft to Richmond in a direct trade for Liam Baker.

Don Pyke ruling something out,

is like the MFC doctor giving you a clean bill of health

• Haha
Baker is start to sound like the steak knives. He is a fantastic leader and player and is worthy of a high pick

Reactions: 6 users
Talk of pick 3 for Baker and a top 10 pick is crazy talk from a Richmond perspective IMO.

Good because on some Hawks forum they were lin a lather as they thought they had access to him
yeah you prompted me to look into it, there wasn't any source to him being their nga in the first place. The only inkling I could find is his dad is Swedish (not a country/region covered by nga eligibility)

Talk of pick 3 for Baker and a top 10 pick is crazy talk from a Richmond perspective IMO.

Personally don't think its too far off. Yes we want 1st round draft picks, but big difference between those in the teens and the top 5, even in a relatively even draft.

If it was something like Baker, 10 and 29 for 3 and 23, I'd be in personally.

Don't reckon there is much chance we get the Barass pick, if we didn't get a deal like the above, its probably their 2nd a F2, with something going back.

Reckon the 1st deal above is better for us than the 2nd one.

From my viewing of the two games today you are 100% bidding on Levi Ashcroft at 1, (40d 2.2 today), and making Brisbane either pay up or deal for their 1st round pick.
Murphy Reid 25d and 3.1 looked very good in an understated way, kicked one of his goals from 65 out with the wind that cleared the pack. He doesn't look quick but @Mr Brightside said he sees a bit of Steele Sidebottom in him which probably isn't far off the mark.
Jagga keeps on keeping on, 31d and a goal
FOS quiet, 16d, but I still love him.
Tom Gross had 21d and kicked 2.3
Dattoli had 21d
Amstrong 13d and 4.0
Simms: Solely rucked in first half and then did his ankle in first ruck contest in the 2nd half and took no further part and ending up on crutches.
IMO we do a deal with Bris with the "handshake" agreement that if we get a decent deal done for us we won't be doing any bidding. Ditto GC with Rioli etc.

Do we bid on Ashcroft or do a deal with Brisbane agreeing not to?

Don't like the idea of bidding first for a player we can't get, sort of takes the shine off the number 1 pick.

DS
So you're happy to let the best kid in the draft go to a powerful, flag chasing Brisvegas at half value instead of three qtr value. Bugger that for a joke, get a handful of Brisvegas nads n give em a good tweak.

• Love
  • Haha
Doesn't pick 1 get a bonus or something from NAB as well? I'd rather give that to our player than theirs.

Let's get pick 2 off North and bid on him there
Nah. The bonus is what $20k? Bloody loose change compared to what they'll earn over their careers. Bidding at pick 2 just makes him cheaper still for Brisvegas. Ashcroft is more than good enough to b pick 1, make the call n make Brisvegas pay the maximum we can force them to for the privilege.

Reactions: 1 user
Posh you floated the two second rounders for baker way back. I reckon that is west coast offer.

I think that pushes us to deal him to freo in a package with Bolton. Can we get a better deal with Freo

Freo will also be considering how far away they actually are. Just got beaten by port Adelaide who folded in the finals

Me, I've got bugger all idea about who trades who for what so I just went n had me a random thought.
Bakes n Shai to Wet Coke for pick 3, the Hawforn trade pick for Barrass and their future 1st pick.

Hawforn's Barrass pick could wind up a fairly late first rounder this year n perhaps Wet Coke might think they'll improve a bit next year with a new coach n a bit of extra talent like Bakes n Shai so their future 1st might end up around 6 or 8 next year.

Reactions: 1 user