2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Talk of pick 3 for Baker and a top 10 pick is crazy talk from a Richmond perspective IMO.
If you do it purely on points value the difference between 3 and 10 is 839 points which would value Baker at around pick 22, which to me is unders.
If we get their 2nd rounder and send our pick 29 back that’s another 162 points.
Baker would be valued at 17.
The points system is just a guide of course, but it’s a starting point.
Baker, 10 and 29 for 3 and 23
Would give us 2 of the first 3 picks in the 2nd round, maybe 3 if the Graham deal happens favourably. I would try and trade for a future 1st.

Reactions: 3 users
So you're happy to let the best kid in the draft go to a powerful, flag chasing Brisvegas at half value instead of three qtr value. Bugger that for a joke, get a handful of Brisvegas nads n give em a good tweak.
TM the best value for RFC is to trade with Brisbane.
We get their first, say 17, for chump change. Sure it helps them get Ashcroft cheaply, they'd do it anyway with another club. Lets face it getting the best kid in the draft for 17 is still a win for Brissie.
Bidding on Ashcroft gives us no benefit. It slightly affects the Lions who will use picks 40ish and 50whatever. But we dont get anything. Apart from some fans being able to momentarily squeal Gotcha!

Reactions: 8 users
We dont bid on Ashcroft or Lombard. And we dont need to threaten it.
We will amicably trade.
And not bid.
And not speak at all about it.

Reactions: 8 users
Yes that's pretty much what I said. Pick 3 is probably there if we want it.
Yep you've nailed it.
WCE stating its not 3.
And stating we want both mature age players and top draft picks. But its a deep draft.
Unsaid - so we are gunna trade 3 for Baker and a top pick.

This is preparing their members for the trade.
At the end they will point to a top 10 pick and Baker. We got our man Bo! they'll say.
And we get FOS.

Maybe we convince them to accept 12, but possibly it will be 9.

Reactions: 4 users
Yep you've nailed it.
WCE stating its not 3.
And stating we want both mature age players and top draft picks. But its a deep draft.

At the end they will point to a top 10 pick and Baker. We got our man Bo! they'll say.
And we get FOS.

Exactly

Reactions: 1 user
Yep you've nailed it.
WCE stating its not 3.

And we get FOS.

Yeah I think you are right, they want mature age players AND they still want to take draftees. Therefore for me the mooted trade of Pick 3 and 23 for Bakes, 10 and 29 makes a lot of sense for them.

They get their mature age player, but retain the same number of picks, but slide back down the order.
We get to trade our picks up the order to get as high as possible.

I've just had a quick stab at some trades, and if we did that, we might still end up with 1, 3, 6, 9, 12 and 21. With those trades I've given up our F3rd but thats not a huge loss.

I've also held our very late picks 66 and 73 (which will come in a bit) to take the NGA kid (can't remember his name) if we want him.

Yeah I think you are right, they want mature age players AND they still want to take draftees. Therefore for me the mooted trade of Pick 3 and 23 for Bakes, 10 and 29 makes a lot of sense for them.

They get their mature age player, but retain the same number of picks, but slide back down the order.

I've just had a quick stab at some trades, and if we did that, we might still end up with 1, 3, 6, 9, 12 and 21. With those trades I've given up our F3rd but thats not a huge loss.

I've also held our very late picks 66 and 73 (which will come in a bit) to take the NGA kid (can't remember his name) if we want him.
Agree we might throw in a f3.
We might get brissies f3 (or even f2) to balance that trade. But next year doesnt matter too much. We'll have 1 and 19 and the rest will be what it is. We might do some moneyball trades next year

Also 1 3 6 9 12 21 will be huge.

Jags FOS Reid/Langford Berry Lindsey/Hotton/JWhitlock and Faull

I think Lalor goes to Dees otherwise id take him at 6.

You dont think we get the lions 14? Or a JG compo?

I had a bit of a slightly different trade with the Lions. I had them trading us their 1st and their F1 and we gave them 22 (JG compo), 23 (from WC), and then I think about 4 later picks. They gained about 250 picks in the trade (but obviously we'd tell them we wouldn't bid on Ashcroft when in reality, he is probably the best player in the draft). I then included the F1 from Brisbane in the trade for Rioli, had that as 6 and 12 for Rioli and Brisbanes F1.

Playing devils advocate, but if we had Picks 1,3 and 6, could we get the trifecta of FOS, Lalor and Smith?

1 - Rich - FOS
2 - NM - Trainor - would they do this or try and trade down?
3 - Rich - Lalor
4 - Adel - Draper
5 - Melb - Reid
6 - Rich - Smith

Could that happen? Would be a dream come true for a lot on here I suspect.

If we got Berry at 9, then someone might need to check on Ezy - he could be in some sort of ecstatic coma

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Jayden Lockwood

Reactions: 1 users

I reckon with that hand we'd be crazy not to grab Armstrong if he presents. Kids going to be a beauty imo

All this draft talk is pointless

Baker Bolton rioli Graeme will all still be at punt road next year

• Haha
Baker + #10+#29 +#57
For
#3 + #23

That would be a great result combined with a Graham compo

Baker + #10+#29 +#57
For
#3 + #23

If we had a hand like that I would suspect we would trade into 2025.
Also if we want to draft Sam Davidson we would be using pick 23 on him which is probably not necessary

Playing devils advocate, but if we had Picks 1,3 and 6, could we get the trifecta of FOS, Lalor and Smith?

1 - Rich - FOS
2 - NM - Trainor - would they do this or try and trade down?
3 - Rich - Lalor
4 - Adel - Draper
5 - Melb - Reid
6 - Rich - Smith

Could that happen? Would be a dream come true for a lot on here I suspect.

If we got Berry at 9, then someone might need to check on Ezy - he could be in some sort of ecstatic coma
Baker + #10+#29 +#57
For
#3 + #23

Why not make sure of getting FOS/Lalor & Jagga.
Offer North pick 6 & 21 for pick 3.
They'll still get Trainor@6 or at Worst Armstrong(pending on the Dees)
1/.Jagga(deserves the 10k)
2/.Fos
3/.Lalor
4./Draper(crows)
5/.Armstrong or Trainor(dees)
6/.As above(North)
And we still have 9/15/16/22/23.
Its a no brainer really.

Reactions: 2 users
TM the best value for RFC is to trade with Brisbane.
We get their first, say 17, for chump change. Sure it helps them get Ashcroft cheaply, they'd do it anyway with another club. Lets face it getting the best kid in the draft for 17 is still a win for Brissie.
Bidding on Ashcroft gives us no benefit. It slightly affects the Lions who will use picks 40ish and 50whatever. But we dont get anything. Apart from some fans being able to momentarily squeal Gotcha!
Ummm.
Pretty sure that pick 40 n 50 won't be anywhere remotely near enough points to get Ashcroft unless no-one bids on him till around pick 20 something. Brisvegas have bugger all drafting points available even if they keep their first pick in the draft. Just to get Ashcroft they need to give up their pick 14 valued at approx 1100 points for a bunch of junk picks that will total somewhere around 1500 to 2000 points to add to their other scrap points depending on if Ashcroft is bid at 1 or 2. Then on top of that, they'll still need to find some more junk points so they can draft that academy kid they've got floating around, if they actually want him.

It's not simply a matter of a gotcha call, it's simply a matter of doing some fair n worthwhile deals rather than just handing out freebies. If we're getting anywhere near the supposed draft picks this year that so many punters are salivating about. Then getting a pick around 16 to 20 off Brisvegas for helping them get the best kid in the draft super cheap while torching a bunch of our own trading value is fairly *smile* stupid. There'll be other clubs that we can do deals with for some of our mid draft picks to either bolster a trade or patch into next years draft if our blokes have half an idea of what they are doing.