2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Just looking through some of the early picks that haven't (or don't look like) working out.

A couple spring to mind - Hobbs and Ward. Ward still has time but they are both currently struggling to make inroads into the AFL system.

Reckon it's because whilst decent all round players, they are both a bit vanilla. They aren't overly quick, or agile, they don't have a step, OK but not great kicks, not especially big etc etc.

Bit of a believer that whilst most footballers at AFL level need an overall solid skillset, they also need a trait that is elite - be it kicking, pace, endurance, smarts, overhead marking, brute strength, agility/athleticism, vision etc.

Without it, reckon it makes it hard.
Reckon Ward is an inside mid and is kept behind the best inside mid trio in the league of Worps, Day and Jai.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Just looking through some of the early picks that haven't (or don't look like) working out.

A couple spring to mind - Hobbs and Ward. Ward still has time but they are both currently struggling to make inroads into the AFL system.

Reckon it's because whilst decent all round players, they are both a bit vanilla. They aren't overly quick, or agile, they don't have a step, OK but not great kicks, not especially big etc etc.

Bit of a believer that whilst most footballers at AFL level need an overall solid skillset, they also need a trait that is elite - be it kicking, pace, endurance, smarts, overhead marking, brute strength, agility/athleticism, vision etc.

And its this part that still makes me think that this draft is being overrated a bit. It's ok, but not off the charts like a lot of people keep saying. And making it difficult to pick which ones are going to be successful when its so even or flat from 1 to 20, throws in another question mark about it.

Where are the definitive, 99.9% certainties in this draft ? The ones totally locked and loaded with modern day attributes ? Where are the Harley Reid's, the Nick Daicos', the JHF's ? Specifically, the ones with explosive power and hard, quick running ability with good boots to match ? I don't see it in this draft.

Yes, there's some handy looking players that have a bit of agility eg Jagga, FOS, Reid. Yes, there's some good inside types. But where are these express power units that go hard, fast, all game long like Harley, Daicos, JHF, Warner, Butters, Goulden, Max Holmes etc.

I don't quite see them in this draft at the moment. Maybe a few will step up, but when I think of previous drafts and what I was seeing at the time, I just don't see some of these essential modern day qualities.

This draft on it's own, even with a stack of picks, isn't going to be some massive platform for success in years to come. Its gonna take another 3 or 4 drafts on top of it.

I might be happy enough to try and split some of our picks into earlier picks in 2025 for the fact. Dunno....

Reactions: 2 users
I posted on that previously if you are interested as to why and how Brisbane need to trade out their first round pick https://www.puntroadend.com/threads/2024-draft-thread.57949/page-243#post-3091784
So you're thinking they get to trade out roughly pick 14 at 1100 points value, leaving themselves with another 400 points still in their kitty from their later picks. For a return of somewhere between between 1600 to 2000 points from a bunch of junk picks to ensure they cheap bid Ashcroft as F/S at picks 1 or 2. That's one hell of a discount to be giving away for a later first round pick. Also would still leave them with nil points available for their academy kid selection. Considering their current list status, I'm not thinking they will drop out of finals contention next year so wouldn't think they'd have a lot of points value to trade out of next years draft.

footy is about time and space.
All the best players have this factor to complement whatever other skill factors they have. Plenty of players have a combination of pace, foot or hand skills, strength, burst, marking etc. It's the rare few that have that extra little snippet of virtually always finding that extra half second of time or half yard of space to execute from.

So you're thinking they get to trade out roughly pick 14 at 1100 points value, leaving themselves with another 400 points still in their kitty from their later picks. For a return of somewhere between between 1600 to 2000 points from a bunch of junk picks to ensure they cheap bid Ashcroft as F/S at picks 1 or 2. That's one hell of a discount to be giving away for a later first round pick. Also would still leave them with nil points available for their academy kid selection. Considering their current list status, I'm not thinking they will drop out of finals contention next year so wouldn't think they'd have a lot of points value to trade out of next years draft.
The only value pick 14 has for Brisbane is the ability to convert it to a greater amount of points by swapping it for later picks. Richmond has the points they need as they set up for this exact situation by accumulating later picks to trade with clubs that need the points. Plus have the leverage of Bidding pick 1 for Ashcroft - Brisbane don't want that as it would require even more points. No guarantee that they do the trade with Richmond but it looks to be of clear benefit to both sides.

Reactions: 4 users
And its this part that still makes me think that this draft is being overrated a bit. It's ok, but not off the charts like a lot of people keep saying.
Yep. I’m hoping that if we do get a number of first-round picks, that we invest in next year’s draft as well as this year’s

Been thinking about the concerns about Jager's size. Everyone is concerned about his ability to take contact at the next level.

FOS has missed so much footy this year through non-serious issues, basically the ability of his body to take contact and play week to week.

Isn't that contact going to be more extreme at the next level? So much discussion about Jager's ability to take contact when he has shown that he can back up week to week and perform but FOS's body hasn't allowed him to put together a body of work.

Whose body is better equipped to cop midfielder contact at the next level?
Wiry players like Smith have often had very successful careers so I certainly aren’t writing him off on that basis. However it would be foolish to dismiss any player that has had a couple of injuries, sometimes it is purely bad luck, nothing to do with durability. Otherwise we have to take FOS, Draper, Lalor and Hotton out of the reckoning just for starters. I don’t think the recruiters will be doing that.

The only value pick 14 has for Brisbane is the ability to convert it to a greater amount of points by swapping it for later picks. Richmond has the points they need as they set up for this exact situation by accumulating later picks to trade with clubs that need the points. Plus have the leverage of Bidding pick 1 for Ashcroft - Brisbane don't want that as it would require even more points. No guarantee that they do the trade with Richmond but it looks to be of clear benefit to both sides.
Dunno that it's much benefit to us if there's not a massive sweetener hidden somewhere to us. We'd be handing over a massive points advantage on the deal, plus not bidding on probably the best talent in the draft, would add another extra points advantage while receiving what might be somewhere between pick 14 to 18 in the draft.
Reckon that might nearly be one deal we could avoid doing then simply bid Ashcroft at pick 1 n watch Brisvegas rupture themselves trying to cobble together enough points to match the bid. Then simply go on our merry way n pick the kids we were gunna anyway.

Dunno that it's much benefit to us if there's not a massive sweetener hidden somewhere to us. We'd be handing over a massive points advantage on the deal, plus not bidding on probably the best talent in the draft, would add another extra points advantage while receiving what might be somewhere between pick 14 to 18 in the draft.
Reckon that might nearly be one deal we could avoid doing then simply bid Ashcroft at pick 1 n watch Brisvegas rupture themselves trying to cobble together enough points to match the bid. Then simply go on our merry way n pick the kids we were gunna anyway.

There is a huge benefit to Richmond as they get another very valuable first round pick. Can use it, split it, package it to move to a higher pick, or trade into another future first round pick.

Richmond also needs to offload the later picks as we will be getting multiple high picks with the players to be traded and will not have enough list spots open to use all the later picks..

Not really any benefit for Richmond to do all the homework on Ashcroft to bid at pick 1 as Brisbane will still match. Have no chance of getting the player.

How risky do PR Enders think trading into next year’s draft is? It’s probably my paranoia but if we end up with a monster haul this year, particularly 3 in the first ten and 6 in the first twenty, I think there’s a very real chance the AFL change the rules.

As someone else in this thread joked, first a comment from Chris Scott, then an Abe Lincoln style piece from Whately on 360 calling for a review etc.

If we get the picks we expect for Rioli, Bolton, Baker and Graham, then we won't be using all the picks that we have. Of course there is a massive benefit to us to trade into another 1st rounder.

How risky do PR Enders think trading into next year’s draft is? It’s probably my paranoia but if we end up with a monster haul this year, particularly 3 in the first ten and 6 in the first twenty, I think there’s a very real chance the AFL change the rules.

As someone else in this thread joked, first a comment from Chris Scott, then an Abe Lincoln style piece from Whately on 360 calling for a review etc.

How could they change the rules though? You can only trade out x number of players per year? Or you are capped at what you receive so you get nothing for a player once you have traded others out. I'm not sure there is any rule they could implement that wouldn't make them seem incredibly petty. Its not like we are gaining a load of free picks like North, we are actually losing something tangible (North only lost their soul).

How could they change the rules though? You can only trade out x number of players per year? Or you are capped at what you receive so you get nothing for a player once you have traded others out. I'm not sure there is any rule they could implement that wouldn't make them seem incredibly petty. Its not like we are gaining a load of free picks like North, we are actually losing something tangible (North only lost their soul).
Thank you for talking me down off the ledge. :notworthy:

• Haha
And its this part that still makes me think that this draft is being overrated a bit. It's ok, but not off the charts like a lot of people keep saying. And making it difficult to pick which ones are going to be successful when its so even or flat from 1 to 20, throws in another question mark about it.

Where are the definitive, 99.9% certainties in this draft ? The ones totally locked and loaded with modern day attributes ? Where are the Harley Reid's, the Nick Daicos', the JHF's ? Specifically, the ones with explosive power and hard, quick running ability with good boots to match ? I don't see it in this draft.

Yes, there's some handy looking players that have a bit of agility eg Jagga, FOS, Reid. Yes, there's some good inside types. But where are these express power units that go hard, fast, all game long like Harley, Daicos, JHF, Warner, Butters, Goulden, Max Holmes etc.

I don't quite see them in this draft at the moment. Maybe a few will step up, but when I think of previous drafts and what I was seeing at the time, I just don't see some of these essential modern day qualities.

This draft on it's own, even with a stack of picks, isn't going to be some massive platform for success in years to come. Its gonna take another 3 or 4 drafts on top of it.

I might be happy enough to try and split some of our picks into earlier picks in 2025 for the fact. Dunno....

Yeah that's very fair and you're right - there are some holes or disadvantages with every player. No Reid's, JHF's etc at the very top end that you can't see any issues and jusr know will be a topline footballer to build a team around.

Saying that, reckon it's actually a strong draft though. The depth of talent is there. There are guys right through the top 25-30 that have genuine talent and AFL traits (bit also flaws) more than most years.

Personally, the word would describe this year is "risky".

Think in time when its looked back on, some clubs and picks will make out like bandits and others will be left saying what if. Hopefully that's not us.

Probably why we look like trading some picks into first round selections next year to spread that "risk"

Reactions: 3 users
In 2025:

Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.

Pity it wasn't this year as I am sure smarter men than me could use our hand to even more advantage.

In initial stages this new rule would just suit Tassie as they would have a mortgage on the higher first round picks and clubs would be offering Tassie decent players to get their hands on earlier first rounders?

In 2025:

Future trading of picks will be extended to two years in advance.

Pity it wasn't this year as I am sure smarter men than me could use our hand to even more advantage.

In initial stages this new rule would just suit Tassie as they would have a mortgage on the higher first round picks and clubs would be offering Tassie decent players to get their hands on earlier first rounders?
It still can be an advantage next year because of the uncertainty of the 2027 compromised draft.

Will clubs look at 2025 to dump out 2027 1st round picks for bargain prices and not have many takers? If so, could still do very well by picking up these on the cheap.

Yeah that's very fair and you're right - there are some holes or disadvantages with every player. No Reid's, JHF's etc at the very top end that you can't see any issues and jusr know will be a topline footballer to build a team around.

Saying that, reckon it's actually a strong draft though. The depth of talent is there. There are guys right through the top 25-30 that have genuine talent and AFL traits (bit also flaws) more than most years.

Personally, the word would describe this year is "risky".

Think in time when its looked back on, some clubs and picks will make out like bandits and others will be left saying what if. Hopefully that's not us.

Probably why we look like trading some picks into first round selections next year to spread that "risk"

The state of our list dictates we need to completely rebuild. We lack talent across all lines.

Agree this year's draft doesn't have the stand out impact player but as you say it is strong draft and runs deeper than normal years. So we can fix the list in one/two years instead of 7 to 10 years.

The question for, as I simply do not know, is there a stand out player in 2025? We are going to hold the #1 pick next year purely as we will be too young at this point. So if there is a stand out player in 2025 then we add the depth of talent this year and in 2025 we add the very top talent.

Past that it is free agency to cover the holes

• Love

Bit of a believer that whilst most footballers (not just mids) at AFL level need an overall solid skillset, they also need a trait that is elite - be it kicking, pace, endurance, smarts, overhead marking, brute strength, agility/athleticism, vision etc.

Absolutely 100%,just spoke to a well known afl recruiter,and it's 1 of the very main things he looks for.