2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Not saying he's Wayne Carey but he does have the same sort of build - long torso, big arse (hello @Leysy Days) and stumpy legs.

Certainly looks a talent.
The big arse is handed down. His Dad Chris was a beast. 1996 WAFL gf if you want to see someone take a game by the scruff of the neck. East Perth didn't win the game but Gerreyn was involved in a fantastic ding dong in the goal square lol

Kicked 11 in one game that year too I think.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Draper doesn't get much love here going under the raider. Not at number 1 , but at 6 if crows don't take him I'll pounce.His exactly what we need speed and explosiveness and skill.

Reactions: 6 users
Draper doesn't get much love here going under the raider. Not at number 1 , but at 6 if crows don't take him I'll pounce.His exactly what we need speed and explosiveness and skill.
Cant see how wce or crows dont take him.
So if we want him we'd need to pull the trigger at 1

Reactions: 1 users
Geez....Gerreyn is miles ahead of Samson. He competes hard and can mark and kick.
Slow yes...but would be a big target forward and competes in the ruck around the ground. Not an AFL class key forward but big enough and tough enough to be valuable....Samson is not!
Tough to judge on that performance...
Did you notice the stick figure that was the opposing ruckman...
He does look a bit like Wayne Carey...
A bit like Stevan Jackson...

Reactions: 1 user
Cant see how wce or crows dont take him.
So if we want him we'd need to pull the trigger at 1

I'd read something on BF (I know) from some Crows supporters, that the word out of the club is that they aren't sold on Draper, and Lalor is in their sights. I guess they've got history of getting that powerful midfielder out of stoppages that can also impact forward in having taken Dangerfield all those years ago.

Reactions: 3 users
FOS is a Rolls Royce

1.FOS
6.Lalor
10. Trainor
11.Shannahan
14.Hotton
17.Berry

My Wish list

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks to all for their contributions to this thread...well, thanks to those of you have an informed opinion anyway. The rest of us appreciate the differing views and and analysis. It's going to be interesting to see what happens after all this energy is expended and draft night actually arrives.

I'm curious though. So many rankings of best to least best of what seems to be a (largely) agreed group of 12-20 players. But history shows that in any year there will be many busts in the top fifteen. Yes, I get that this appears to be a deep year. But, I wonder, what are the rankings for the highest chance to be a bust. Because even in a draft that is predicted to be deep there will surely be more than a handful of complete busts in those being touted

It seems that most agree that Jagga is going to be a player (just argument about how good) and that Smillie could be anything but might also be a bust

I wonder who others think are top 5 at risk of being a complete bust out of those that are touted as top 15
With what I have seen. Highlights/games.
Smith. Leather poisoning. He gets the sherrin a million times.
Reminds me of a Walsh/Mcluggage.
Langford classy footballer Edwards type
Draper good kick and smooth footballer, runs all day. Roozee
Lalor Big & strong good kick Riccuto
FOS could be the next Walsh Quick and clean.

Interestingly in 2017, the players drafted 10, 11, 13 & 14 are no longer on AFL lists.
& pick 1 hasnt lived up to expectations, yet, and picks 3 & 6 are very average footballers.
Just goes to show how overrated draft picks can be. Never a sure thing. That is why I liked the Taranto and Prestia trades when they happened.

Reactions: 7 users
Why and how are Brisvegas gunna trade out pick 14? They need a *smile* load of points to be able to get Ashcroft and their academy kid this year and are way short of points already. Trading out pick 14 is going to leave them with enough value to get into the 4th round of the draft.
Are we supposedly somehow giving Brisvegas 3000 points worth of value for pick 14?
I posted on that previously if you are interested as to why and how Brisbane need to trade out their first round pick https://www.puntroadend.com/threads/2024-draft-thread.57949/page-243#post-3091784

Reactions: 1 users
Been thinking about the concerns about Jager's size. Everyone is concerned about his ability to take contact at the next level.

FOS has missed so much footy this year through non-serious issues, basically the ability of his body to take contact and play week to week.

Isn't that contact going to be more extreme at the next level? So much discussion about Jager's ability to take contact when he has shown that he can back up week to week and perform but FOS's body hasn't allowed him to put together a body of work.

Whose body is better equipped to cop midfielder contact at the next level?

Reactions: 6 users
Just looking through some of the early picks that haven't (or don't look like) working out.

A couple spring to mind - Hobbs and Ward. Ward still has time but they are both currently struggling to make inroads into the AFL system.

Reckon it's because whilst decent all round players, they are both a bit vanilla. They aren't overly quick, or agile, they don't have a step, OK but not great kicks, not especially big etc etc.

Bit of a believer that whilst most footballers (not just mids) at AFL level need an overall solid skillset, they also need a trait that is elite - be it kicking, pace, endurance, smarts, overhead marking, brute strength, agility/athleticism, vision etc.

Without it, reckon it makes it hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Been thinking about the concerns about Jager's size. Everyone is concerned about his ability to take contact at the next level.

FOS has missed so much footy this year through non-serious issues, basically the ability of his body to take contact and play week to week.

Isn't that contact going to be more extreme at the next level? So much discussion about Jager's ability to take contact when he has shown that he can back up week to week and perform but FOS's body hasn't allowed him to put together a body of work.

Whose body is better equipped to cop midfielder contact at the next level?
Just looking at that video above - FOS has the frame for contact. Jagga looks even more whippet like sitting next to him.

Just looking through some of the early picks that haven't (or don't look like) working out.

A couple spring to mind - Hobbs and Ward. Ward still has time but they are both currently struggling to make inroads into the AFL system.

Reckon it's because whilst decent all round players, they are both a bit vanilla. They aren't overly quick, or agile, they don't have a step, OK but not great kicks, not especially big etc etc.

Bit of a believer that whilst most footballers at AFL level need an overall solid skillset, they also need a trait that is elite - be it kicking, pace, endurance, smarts, overhead marking, brute strength, agility/athleticism, vision etc.

This is what worries me about a few of the higher rated mids. You typically need speed or agility or better both (plus size) to be elite at AFL. Draper, FOS, Lalor tick all those boxes. Jagga, Smillie, Langford, Reid - don't tick some of these boxes.

I understand there are lots of other factors, e.g. ball winning, clean hands, kicking ability, hard at it etc...but speed, agility and size feel like table stakes. It's probably only our pick #1 where we have a chance to get all 3 attributes.

Bit of a believer that whilst most footballers at AFL level need an overall solid skillset, they also need a trait that is elite - be it kicking, pace, endurance, smarts, overhead marking, brute strength, agility/athleticism, vision etc.

agree 100% either explosiveness or a set of very good evasion tricks, is almost the primary indicator of <190cm players likelihood to make it at modern AFL level.

10 years ago, you could make it without it, but these days, you'll always be under pressure.

footy is about time and space.

Reactions: 3 users