2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I am not against drafting Jagga.
Just pointing out he aint Zac Butters clone.
Leading Clearances in the AFL 2024 98% of the leading clearance players are big bodied mids.

View attachment 24200

not sure what you threshold of 'big bodied' is?

half of that top 15 would seem like little blokes if an average middle aged man stood beside em.

from the top,

I don't reckon any of

Daicos, Serong, Neale, Rowbottom, butters, merret, worpel

are big?

I dunno, I can't know if you are Chris Munce in real life?

in which case, yeah, they're all huge

But if we are talking binary, over or under say 85kg?, I'd say your data suggests the size of the 25 best clearance players in The AFL

is pretty similar to tossing a coin 25 times?

I reckon Jagga is playing at 74kg now, and at 24, I'd reckon he'll be about 82kg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jagga's ability to get boot to ball in traffic is elite as well, which I rate highly.

My god this debate is never going to end.

HURRY THE *smile* UP DRAFT !

yeah ive been prosecuting the case for Jagga for 2 years.

im gonna rest my case. 👍

:banana

Last edited:
All at Port Melb yeah?

A sneaky chance for Sunday. Will have my youngest with me, so can fill her up with chips and sugar to keep her occupied.

Heh heh heh Bungal may say otherwise because he's a big Rebels fan, but yes, me personally, I'd go Sunday over Saturday.

Sandy - Reid, Trainor, Armstrong, Oliver, Ashcroft, Cole, Dalton, Sulzberger.
Oakleigh - Jagga, FOS (hopefully), Alger, Gross, Richardson,Retschko.
Knights - Dattoli, Sims, Gillard, Lawson

I probably missed a few...

Langford will play on Saturday. Tauru, Hynes, Ivisic, Jacques as well.

I'm gonna try to get to both days.
See you both there,,Sat and Sunday ,,l wished there was night racing on Sat night,so l don't have to spend it with the outlaws :eek:

Yeah your right Robert ,l would say otherwise :LOL: ,maybe 2 of the possible 3 who could go at no 1 are playing on Saturday ,Lalor and Langford ...
Plus a host of other possible 1st-2nd-3rd rounders .

I hope on sunday Dattoli play's the majority as a mid,,l thought he was highly impressive on Saturday ......
Suspect Dattoli is rising up the rankings for a few clubs.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm finding that the fence is uncomfortable, are you? :))
First things first: the kid’s name is Smillie. Not “Smiley”. So if you hear anyone on radio, tv or whatever calling him “Smiley”, call, text, social media post (or whatever you do) these abject morons and get them to pronounce his name properly. It’s as bad as people who can’t get Ryan Sampson’s name correct. Geez…….

Anyway, from first hand observations, and so as to not offend the Smillie fans, Josh will be a good player for someone. He is elite at stoppages. Reads the ball very well and then uses his body to great advantage. He finds his team mates by hand just as well as Jagga Smith does. Maybe better. He is also a very good kick. The odd pass will miss but by and large he is very solid and his long range kicking is excellent. He also isn’t afraid to mix it up physically. He’ll tackle, give and take a knock. He doesn’t mind the physical side of playing inside. He can also pinch hit up forward, obviously at 194cm.

But you gotta fully know what you’re getting, and to that end, Josh where his midfield craft is concerned, is a real loper. He jogs from stoppage to stoppage and bits of space where he can get an easy, short, kick-receive from someone. He really has no other gear when getting around the ground at the moment. If you thought Jacob Hopper was a bit like that, well Josh takes it to another level I reckon. You're not gonna see that watching highlights or games on tv.

He has been told that he needs to improve the athletic or running side of his game for AFL football. Get the kph’s up and to run harder to receive the ball, and to get to places around the ground that warrant a longer kick to him from his teammates. He’s not that gifted where running is concerned. He cramps up a fair bit. Did a hamstring last year too, incidentally.

Bottom line is this. He is a good player but he is a country mile off where comparisons with Cripps and Bont are concerned. Those guys run themselves into the ground. Can Smillie get there ? Not sure. If he does, awesome. He’ll be one of the best kids taken. If he doesn’t, he’ll be a jog to contest player like Hopper that may struggle with the pace of the game at times.

With Hopper, Taranto, Prestia, McAuliffe, Dow and co in our midfield, and 2 of our best/quickest runners leaving (Bolton and D Rioli), then if Richmond were to go with Smillie, they would have to look at many others with pace to offset what’s really, a pretty damn ordinary running midfield group. Dunno if there's much midfield pace in this draft to do that.

Again, good player, not saying he won’t be once he gets into the system. Just that I dunno if he quite fits for us at this particular point in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
I reckon Jagga is playing at 74kg now, and at 24, I'd reckon he'll be about 82kg
There's no way he's 74. I was 75 at 17 and I was 6'2.

Shane Edwards was 67 when we drafted him, Jagga would be around that.

I am not against drafting Jagga.
Just pointing out he aint Zac Butters clone.
Leading Clearances in the AFL 2024 98% of the leading clearance players are big bodied mids.

View attachment 24200

Have you been taking Trump lessons again in exaggerating. 98% of 25 is 24.5.

I can see that 3 of the top 9 are not big bodied midfielders (Daicos, Serong and Neale). Libba, Merrett, Butters and Viney won't be regarded as that either. Some are mid size (around 185/186) and there are a bunch of rucks in there, but other than that, 98% of the top 25 are big bodied midfielders.

I was wondering whether there is some limitation on Freo trading their first round pick but you are saying that is not the case?
None that I've heard or read about. They've got 3 first round picks available this year n can trade them all I think. Might come into difficulty with trading their first pick next year due to AFL rules on using a certain amount of first rounders every 4 year period.

You realise that article is just some fans phantom draft speculation story. He's put the no trading restriction into his story purely for simplicity coz no-one yet knows what the actual draft order will be.

None that I've heard or read about. They've got 3 first round picks available this year n can trade them all I think. Might come into difficulty with trading their first pick next year due to AFL rules on using a certain amount of first rounders every 4 year period.

You realise that article is just some fans phantom draft speculation story. He's put the no trading restriction into his story purely for simplicity coz no-one yet knows what the actual draft order will be.
No I understand what the phantom draft is, I was wondering about the comment and whether Fremantle had some restrictions because of their past trade history but it's all good !!

Lets assume we end up with pick 6 & 9 from the Rioli/Bolton trade.

Would you swap picks 6 & 9 to North for picks 2 & 22?

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
how's the second passage on the clip?

it doesn't enter his head to turn 180 and kick the goal when hes 20m out.

he just thinks 'why would I turn around, when one of my teammates is already facing that way'

in my experiences, the real gooduns do that.

I reckon part of the scrutiny he attracts, is approaches the game in quite a unique way for an 18yo.

every possession (and there's a lot), his aim is to put the ball in the best spot for his team to attack the goals.

I reckon Yze could build an entire gameplay around him, given how much hes gonna win the ball, and how he changes the pathway to goal.

he plays like a kind of air traffic controller from Heathrow's kelpie
Yeh, that is a special talent/player right there. Vision/Agility/Reading the ball in congestion and decision making are all elite. Add pace and endurance.

Oh, and he generally finds it more than anyone else.

So many plays he sees the next move before anyone and almost draws his teammate to where he wants him to go, either by hand or foot.

Why won't he get better?

Crazy to see him going anywhere but Top 3.

I hope we call him at 1.

Reactions: 4 users
There's no way he's 74. I was 75 at 17 and I was 6'2.

Shane Edwards was 67 when we drafted him, Jagga would be around that.

bit more pace, discipline, professionalism, a little less existential thinking, and just a bit more footy ability, and you could have been anything.

and ive rested my case

and we'll never know what anyone weighs anymore anyway; bloody woke PC police marxist activist elites, telling us that Will Gould and Irving Mosquito are equal

Last edited:
  • Haha
First things first: the kid’s name is Smillie. Not “Smiley”. So if you hear anyone on radio, tv or whatever calling him “Smiley”, call, text, social media post (or whatever you do) these abject morons and get them to pronounce his name properly. It’s as bad as people who can’t get Ryan Sampson’s name correct. Geez…….

Anyway, from first hand observations, and so as to not offend the Smillie fans, Josh will be a good player for someone. He is elite at stoppages. Reads the ball very well and then uses his body to great advantage. He finds his team mates by hand just as well as Jagga Smith does. Maybe better. He is also a very good kick. The odd pass will miss but by and large he is very solid and his long range kicking is excellent. He also isn’t afraid to mix it up physically. He’ll tackle, give and take a knock. He doesn’t mind the physical side of playing inside. He can also pinch hit up forward, obviously at 194cm.

But you gotta fully know what you’re getting, and to that end, Josh where his midfield craft is concerned, is a real loper. He jogs from stoppage to stoppage and bits of space where he can get an easy, short, kick-receive from someone. He really has no other gear when getting around the ground at the moment. If you thought Jacob Hopper was a bit like that, well Josh takes it to another level I reckon. You're not gonna see that watching highlights or games on tv.

He has been told that he needs to improve the athletic or running side of his game for AFL football. Get the kph’s up and to run harder to receive the ball, and to get to places around the ground that warrant a longer kick to him from his teammates. He’s not that gifted where running is concerned. He cramps up a fair bit. Did a hamstring last year too, incidentally.

Bottom line is this. He is a good player but he is a country mile off where comparisons with Cripps and Bont are concerned. Those guys run themselves into the ground. Can Smillie get there ? Not sure. If he does, awesome. He’ll be one of the best kids taken. If he doesn’t, he’ll be a jog to contest player like Hopper that may struggle with the pace of the game at times.

With Hopper, Taranto, Prestia, McAuliffe, Dow and co in our midfield, and 2 of our best/quickest runners leaving (Bolton and D Rioli), then if Richmond were to go with Smillie, they would have to look at many others with pace to offset what’s really, a pretty damn ordinary running midfield group. Dunno if there's much midfield pace in this draft to do that.

Again, good player, not saying he won’t be once he gets into the system. Just that I dunno if he quite fits for us at this particular point in time.

Many Thanks RedHenry. Very comprehensive & much appreciated.:clap1

I wouldn't Aces.

there's simply too much talent at 6 and 9,

and I dont think its clearly differentiated enough from 2.

I think your essentially asking, would you swap Sam Lalor and Joe Berry

for Finn O'sullivan and Tom Gross

you can sub players out to your preference,

but I reckon this year it means 1 blue chip + 1 speculative for 2 blue chip

most other years, yes.

But this year,

not me.

the flip side is, this year you could get Joe Berry at 22

and your swapping say Sam Lalor and Bo allen

for FOS and JB.

I think id do that?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How about 9 and Baker for pick 3 ?

Likely we wouldn't have pick 9/10 until later in the trade window as the Bolton trade might take longer to play out. Fremantle are also interested in Baker so West Coast probably wouldn't want to wait for a week in the hope that a Bolton deal gets done. Not sure Richmond would or should trade 9 or 10 anyway.

But Richmond could do a trade with Brisbane pretty early - later picks for pick 14.

Richmond could look at pick 13 off the Suns too.

West coast only have 3, 23, 59.

Would West Coast trade pick 3 for a mid teens pick (Brisbane or GC pick) + Baker + maybe say 21/29? Would leave them with 2 first round picks (including the Barrass pick), Baker, plus another 2 second round picks. Could fill some gaps in their list.

In a even draft and if they think the best 2 players will be gone before their pick (3) is that a better deal for them than 3, Baker and 23 with the Barrass pick going to Richmond? Trade time should be pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Those highlights are bloody impressive. Whether he comes to us or not he is going to be a high quality AFL player.

The thing I notice the most is that he has the quality very few players have which is when it looks like there is no space suddenly there is and only the very best do that. Some are like Dusty, they do it with raw power and others do it because it’s just inate and he looks to be one of those.
Matty Knights like the way he can find space where there is none.

Very handy skill to have

Reactions: 4 users

I don't think I'd do that, but 2 for 9 and either 14 or 17 might be more amenable to both parties. I'm not sure there will be much of a premium on pick swaps like this, as I think it would be mutually beneficial to both parties (us and North).

In that instance we would have 1,2, and 6. Then probably 1 of 14/17 and the early 2nds that we have (hopefully 1 for Graham). Then the Baker trade comes on top of this.

Reactions: 1 users