2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

There is a comment he made on Freo's actual 1st rounder. Any idea what the underlined bit means?

Fremantle have the most ammunition in this draft and are unlikely to take all three picks with them given their links to Shai Bolton and Liam Baker, but they can’t trade here so they might consider Murphy Reid instead.
For his phantom selections he listed the prospective players at the current clubs picks now, without any projection of possible trading alterations. Simply because no-one knows what trades are going to be done yet. Hence Frockers pick Reid, because as his phantom draft specifies he's not allowing for any possible trade adjustments.

Reactions: 1 user
Think this will be like 2017 with very very good players cropping up 15-25
Interestingly in 2017, the players drafted 10, 11, 13 & 14 are no longer on AFL lists.
& pick 1 hasnt lived up to expectations, yet, and picks 3 & 6 are very average footballers.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Interestingly in 2017, the players drafted 10, 11, 13 & 14 are no longer on AFL lists.
& pick 1 hasnt lived up to expectations, yet, and picks 3 & 6 are very average footballers.
That is the reality of the draft isn’t it.

Reactions: 2 users
Hate to break it to ya G&T.

There will be busts in the first round, probably multiple one's in the top 10. For various reasons, every year has them:

If we go to 2019 (which is even time to call it) and just top 10:

2019: - Dylan Stephens, McAsey
2018 - Thomas, Jones
2017 - Dow, Stephenson, Coffield
2016 - Setterfield, Petrevski-Seton, Brodie
2015 - Schache, Francis, Weidemann
2014 - Pickett, Ahern, Cockatoo
2013 - Scharenberg, Freeman (both unlucky with injury)
2012 - O'Rourke, Toumpas,
2011 - Buntine, Longer, Sumner.

2024 will be the first draft ever if all the top 10 end up having good career's. We "just" need to pick and develop right. :D
2021? might be early but assuming Gibcus gets on the park, Eramus @10 is probably the only question mark at this stage (and i think he was always going to be a slow burn.)

Reactions: 1 user
Just wondering did Jagga as a kid fail to deliver you your H/sun one day?
I think a few on here have blinkers on when it comes to Jagga,l have seen player's /mids get less possessions and do more damage with them .
What are Jagga's elite traits that would make him a no 1,,,,endurance ,high possession winner,,but his skills aren't elite compared to many ,he isn't versatile ,he isn't strong defensively ,would he be a inside mid at AFL level ,you wouldn't think so .

Reactions: 5 users

Zac Butters u18. no way is Jagga as strong or have the same traits Butters had at 18. Butters is levels above in the contest and the air.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd imagine one of the key traits they will be looking for when interviewing the top draftees will be leadership attributes.

There's been a massive exodus in this area in recent times & it's been compounded with some imminent departures..

Cotch, Jack, Rance, Astbury, Grimesy, Bachar, Tigga, Lambo, Shedda even Dusty had this in spades.

We've got a strong need to regenerate the leadership & hunger in our club.

Reactions: 8 users
I think a few on here have blinkers on when it comes to Jagga,l have seen player's /mids get less possessions and do more damage with them .
What are Jagga's elite traits that would make him a no 1,,,,endurance ,high possession winner,,but his skills aren't elite compared to many ,he isn't versatile ,he isn't strong defensively ,would he be a inside mid at AFL level ,you wouldn't think so .
Every kid has a ? mark.Can they do it at senior level.All types have failed to make the grade even #1's.
Is Jagga #1?
I don't know but he is the type we need.We lack creativity in the middle.We had it part time with Bolton.
The one advantage Jagga has over most of his peers is he performed against men in the VFL.
I like the FOS/Jagga combo and it would be amiss of us not to explore the option of getting both.

Reactions: 1 users
Interestingly Riley Beveridge said that Richmond had a crew of 10 to 15 Richmond officials including Adem Yze at Bundoora on Sunday watching the Coates Talent League.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Interestingly Riley Beveridge said that Richmond had a crew of 10 to 15 Richmond officials including Adem Yze at Bundoora on Sunday watching the Coates Talent League.

one official for each pick we're taking

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
I'd imagine one of the key traits they will be looking for when interviewing the top draftees will be leadership attributes.

There's been a massive exodus in this area in recent times & it's been compounded with some imminent departures..

Cotch, Jack, Rance, Astbury, Grimesy, Bachar, Tigga, Lambo, Shedda even Dusty had this in spades.

We've got a strong need to regenerate the leadership & hunger in our club.
I thought Bakes and DRioli had leadership attributes as well. Maybe they did but leaving sort of takes the gloss of it for me :cry:

If I was told which 2 players are the least risky has in will definitely play 150-250 games if afl,I would say Draper, fos.
Interesting comment considering FOS can’t get on the park and hasn’t had many games over 20 possessions this year.
Think there’s a lot of bias going on here.
Surely Smith and Ashcroft are the favourites at this point for least risk?

Last edited:

Zac Butters u18. no way is Jagga as strong or have the same traits Butters had at 18. Butters is levels above in the contest and the air.

Butters averages 0.5 clearances a game at his top age champs

Jagga averaged 6 clearances a game top age champs, 5 clearances a game bottom age.

i.e. pretty different players

Butter > jagga overhead, jagga >>>>> butters at clearance.

around the ground they look pretty similar to my eye.

Jagga will be No.1 clearance mid. get a contested ball into Richmond hands. that will be his job. thats what he does almost unprecedentedly well.

I say almost, because only Will Ashcroft exceeded him.

Clearances Avg/game U18 champs

Jagga 6

will Ashcroft 8
McKercher 5.5
sid Draper 4
Jason HF 3.5 (sanfl)
Levi Ashcroft 3
Murphy Reid 3
Darcy Wilson 2
Harley Reid 1.25
Harry sheezel 1
FOS 1
zac butter 0.5

An interesting comparison is jagga/JHF/Sid Draper clearances at state level

Jagga 7 (3 games)
Sid Draper 5 (9 games)
JHF 3.5 (20 games)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
For his phantom selections he listed the prospective players at the current clubs picks now, without any projection of possible trading alterations. Simply because no-one knows what trades are going to be done yet. Hence Frockers pick Reid, because as his phantom draft specifies he's not allowing for any possible trade adjustments.
I was wondering whether there is some limitation on Freo trading their first round pick but you are saying that is not the case?

Gettable had the GWS Talent Manager on and was asked about the number 1 pick and he said there is 2 or 3 that could mount a case but as the year's gone on it is probably a bit clearer on pure talent, what they've put out there and what they project to be in the AFL. He said FOS - had some injuries but we know what he is capable at his best and also Sam Lalor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Gettable had the GWS Talent Manager on and was asked about the number 1 pick and he said there is 2 or 3 that could mount a case but as the year's gone on it is probably a bit clearer - on pure talent, what they've put out there and what they project to be in the AFL he said FOS and Sam Lalor.

Probably about where I'd think they'd be to. I've said it a number of times on here I reckon Jagga slides to about 5/6, hopefully to our GCS pick for Rioli.

Reactions: 7 users

Is this really relevant? Considering the assessment that this year's draft is not normal being fairly even and deep past pick 20

There is one massive massive flaw in this argument.

What you posted are highlights of Butters year. A best of. Anything that wasn't amazing gets edited out.

The only like for like comparison to this are Mick's highlights from the champs - even this doesn't even include his coates/vfl games. Butters is from all year and most in a lesser grade (Coates).

Honest question - If you only saw this from Jagga what would your opinion be? How is the last play? Move of the year!

A lot different yeah. And this is the thing - because he's been at the pointy end of draft discussion all year, because we've known we'll have pick 1, because he's one of the few (only?) at the top end up fronting up each week and performing, because he played VFL for us, because we get packages each week of every involvement - good and bad.

He is the single most watched and critiqued junior in PRE history. By a mile.

Which means he's on display more than anyone else to get picked apart with every little flaw.

Apples and Apples.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users