2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Really cant see any busts.
Smillie is slow and rough by foot..so at risk of man child problems.
Every other player looks excellent.
I see no busts likely in the first 15. On the contrary, I see likely surprises past 20 ie Gross Urquart....many more.
There are SA and WA players we have little knowledge of that are sure to surprise.
It is a draft with no H Reid but multiple next level players. Great to have 5 or 6 picks.
My thoughts on Urquart is that he was underwhelming against SA.
Untidy and rushed.

Havent looked too hard as i cant see us interested with our first 8 picks!

Reactions: 1 users
Really cant see any busts.
Smillie is slow and rough by foot..so at risk of man child problems.
Every other player looks excellent.
I see no busts likely in the first 15. On the contrary, I see likely surprises past 20 ie Gross Urquart....many more.
There are SA and WA players we have little knowledge of that are sure to surprise.
It is a draft with no H Reid but multiple next level players. Great to have 5 or 6 picks.

Hate to break it to ya G&T.

There will be busts in the first round, probably multiple one's in the top 10. For various reasons, every year has them:

If we go to 2019 (which is even time to call it) and just top 10:

2019: - Dylan Stephens, McAsey
2018 - Thomas, Jones
2017 - Dow, Stephenson, Coffield
2016 - Setterfield, Petrevski-Seton, Brodie
2015 - Schache, Francis, Weidemann
2014 - Pickett, Ahern, Cockatoo
2013 - Scharenberg, Freeman (both unlucky with injury)
2012 - O'Rourke, Toumpas,
2011 - Buntine, Longer, Sumner.

2024 will be the first draft ever if all the top 10 end up having good career's. We "just" need to pick and develop right. :D

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

There will be busts in the first round, probably multiple one's in the top 10. For various reasons, every year has them:

2018 - Thomas, Jones

2024 will be the first draft ever if all the top 10 end up having good career's. We "just" need to pick and develop right. :D
I so loved Dylan Stephens, amazed he hasn’t made it.

Rest, I don’t think I was all in on.

Reactions: 1 user
The Langford Hotel, 32 possessions. 5 marks. 4 tackles. 2 goals.
I liked what I saw too. Also a big mid at 190cm I think; can take a CM, kicks well and can convert. So not Smillie size but a hard-running mid, clearly with a strong tank alraedy, penetrating kick (not certain, need to watch more highlights but looked so) who can mark around the ground, go forward and score from getting his own ball or CM, and find the goals.
Much to recommend. Including a leftie.

jeez I hope wolf mans right

we'd get jagga, draper, lalor, berry, Lindsay and Allen :oops:
Hope it will, but can't see that ever happening.

The AFL's collective head would explode!

Reactions: 2 users
I mean busts relative to where they are taken

like 2020 Will Phillips (3), Luke Peddlar (11) and 2019 Fischer McAsey (6)

all players massively under performing against their selection

If Jagga is the best bet and Smillie is the unknown. Who are the other 'risk" picks in the top echelon

desperately trying to find risk with twomeys first round (and the likelihood of the risk realising), there doesn't appear to be to many Dodoro types to me????

excluding academy selection cause who cares?

Jagga - build dictates hes a flanker at the highest level (very low)
Langford - too slow (low)
FOS - is a 20 possession player/durability (very low)
Smilie - man child who peaked in 2023 (medium)
Reid - slow (low)
Draper - ?
armstrong - tall risk (medium)
lalor - tank (very low)
Trainor - 3rd man up (very low)
Allen - ?
Travglia - ?
Hotton - exposed form - knee (low)
Lindsay - ?
Berry - that he wins the Coleman medal in his debut season, fails to handle the limelight and becomes a GC hermit never seen or heard of again. (very high)
Jack Whitlock - tall risk (medium)
Tauru - never seen him play

? - I can't really identify a specific risk, other than they might have reached their ceiling and can't take the step, which is always there past 5

most years, there's a couple of very outside, eye catching players with a big UP%, who do nothing defensively, but rather bludge off the good players and kick great looking goals, who are fairly predictable busts to everyone except Dodoro (note even these blokes can come on - Massimo d'ambrosia was very much this at 18, but never a bust prospects because he took the hard road, now hes AA)

I dont see a single one of those this year. I think every bloke above works hard and wins their own footy? I dont see any bludgers inside the top 40. I think the depth of the pool has relegated them all to the 4th round.

there doesn't appear much risk? I would rank the riskiest picks (at the pick Twomey projects them currently)

1. Smilie
2. Armstrong
3. Jack Whitlock
4. Taj Hotton

Last edited:
If I was told which 2 players are the least risky has in will definitely play 150-250 games if afl,I would say Draper, fos.

2018 - Thomas, Jones

We'll have to wait and see in 2029..if we are still around that is.
But eyes wide open..I am optomistic< and there is no greater pessimist than me>.
Possibly few champions ..maybe FOS or Lalor..but everyone looks talented and the picks suggested by some on here look very likely to be very good players.
Any duds to Cats and Bombers please...oh..and Blues Dees um ...Pies Swans Lions WCE ....

He should have been played in the backline very early in the piece. Speed & skills. Would do very well the way the game is played now. Could have a Rioli like impact.
Tambling was born 12yrs too early.
Imaging him between 17-20?

• Sad
If I was told which 2 players are the least risky has in will definitely play 150-250 games if afl,I would say Draper, fos.

my 3 least risky of Twomeys current first round, excluding academy picks, would be

Jagga, JoeBerry, Luke Trainor

agree I dont think we will,

but I reckon given the likely number of high picks we have, and the lag of them coming on,

I would take 3 full forwards/CHF's.

unless there's some rippers next year?

if we take one, as is more likely, I hope its Simms
Take maybe 2.
If you want a 3rd.
Rookie Archie May.

Reactions: 3 users

2018 - Thomas, Jones

id like to dig into UP% in 18yo year and try correlate it to busts? I dont know some of these kids (for obvious reasons),

but the ones I do know, I reckon the bludging flashy 18yo's are very over represented?

possibly pace is the seductive quality?

There is a comment he made on Freo's actual 1st rounder. Any idea what the underlined bit means?

Fremantle have the most ammunition in this draft and are unlikely to take all three picks with them given their links to Shai Bolton and Liam Baker, but they can’t trade here so they might consider Murphy Reid instead.

My view with players like him is that every team needs one or two who are accumulaters and just get the pill. The key is having players around him who have the hurt factor.
We need to pick with a balance of both.
Fos/Smith combo works for me.

So you would be happy to take a Bakes type with no 1.
Jagga is a average kick ,unless it is short,does a lot of dinky handballs ,which a lot of them puts his team mates under pressure ,but it still goes on his efficiency as good,,gets bustled out the way in hard contests easily ,he is lucky he has elite endurance ,because if he didn't you would be looking at a top 20 pick.
Just wondering did Jagga as a kid fail to deliver you your H/sun one day?

• Haha