2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

There is one massive massive flaw in this argument.

What you posted are highlights of Butters year. A best of. Anything that wasn't amazing gets edited out.

The only like for like comparison to this are Mick's highlights from the champs - even this doesn't even include his coates/vfl games. Butters is from all year and most in a lesser grade (Coates).

Honest question - If you only saw this from Jagga what would your opinion be? How is the last play? Move of the year!

A lot different yeah. And this is the thing - because he's been at the pointy end of draft discussion all year, because we've known we'll have pick 1, because he's one of the few (only?) at the top end up fronting up each week and performing, because he played VFL for us, because we get packages each week of every involvement - good and bad.

He is the single most watched and critiqued junior in PRE history. By a mile.

Which means he's on display more than anyone else to get picked apart with every little flaw.

Apples and Apples.

how's the second passage on the clip?

it doesn't enter his head to turn 180 and kick the goal when hes 20m out.

he just thinks 'why would I turn around, when one of my teammates is already facing that way'

in my experiences, the real gooduns do that.

I reckon part of the scrutiny he attracts, is approaches the game in quite a unique way for an 18yo.

every possession (and there's a lot), his aim is to put the ball in the best spot for his team to attack the goals.

I reckon Yze could build an entire gameplay around him, given how much hes gonna win the ball, and how he changes the pathway to goal.

he plays like a kind of air traffic controller from Heathrow's kelpie

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Interesting comment considering FOS can’t get on the park and hasn’t had many games over 20 possessions this year.
Think there’s a lot of bias going on here.
Surely Smith and Ashcroft are the favourites at this point for least risk?
With fos,it's his multiple afl weapons,
Booming kick,high mark, agility at pace.
U just can't miss with these traits as it's going to mean a high-quality afl.player.
U couldn't go into your first ever vfl game in worse condition.
He's not super ripped.
He's got injured during the game.
He's not had continuity playing in 2024.
BUT DESPITE THIS,MORRIS THOUGHT FOS WAS TOO GOOD FOR VFL.

Reactions: 8 users
i take little notice of draft prospects .. but it's an animated thread right now so i took a look ...

pick 1 - Jagga Smith no doubt. speed and vision - reminds me of Shane Edwards
pick 2 - FOS
pick 3 - Sam Lalor
pick 4 - Joe Berry
pick 5 - Cooper Hynes

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

he just thinks 'why would I turn around, when one of my teammates is already facing that way'

I reckon part of the scrutiny he attracts, is approaches the game in quite a unique way for an 18yo.

every possession (and there's a lot), his aim is to put the ball in the best spot for his team to attack the goals.

I reckon Yze could build an entire gameplay around him, given how much hes gonna win the ball, and how he changes the pathway to goal.

Yeah, from what i have seen Smith isnt flashy, he isnt highlight material, but he is just very good. He is very good at winning the ball, and despite the knocks he is very good at using it, pretty much every time. Not 55 mtr worm burner passes onto a chest, or 60mtr goals on the run, but accurate and effective nearly every time.

What you posted are highlights of Butters year. A best of. Anything that wasn't amazing gets edited out.

The only like for like comparison to this are Mick's highlights from the champs - even this doesn't even include his coates/vfl games. Butters is from all year and most in a lesser grade (Coates).

Honest question - If you only saw this from Jagga what would your opinion be? How is the last play? Move of the year!

A lot different yeah. And this is the thing - because he's been at the pointy end of draft discussion all year, because we've known we'll have pick 1, because he's one of the few (only?) at the top end up fronting up each week and performing, because he played VFL for us, because we get packages each week of every involvement - good and bad.

Which means he's on display more than anyone else to get picked apart with every little flaw.

Apples and Apples.
Been thinking about this subject for many weeks now. Most - me included - are just looking at highlights of players for the large part. You really need to be at games to get the full picture of a player or at least watching full games on replay, and then multiples of full games at that.

Highlights are almost always gratifying.

There's a few players in particular that, if you were actually at the game, you might have a different perspective of. Josh Smillie comes to mind.

Last edited:

Apples and Apples.
I am not against drafting Jagga.
Just pointing out he aint Zac Butters clone.
Leading Clearances in the AFL 2024 98% of the leading clearance players are big bodied mids.

Screenshot (521).jpeg

Those highlights are bloody impressive. Whether he comes to us or not he is going to be a high quality AFL player.

The thing I notice the most is that he has the quality very few players have which is when it looks like there is no space suddenly there is and only the very best do that. Some are like Dusty, they do it with raw power and others do it because it’s just inate and he looks to be one of those.

@bengal tigers @Redford If i were to go to only one of the Coates finals days this weekend is it Sunday that would get me the most exposure to the top end talent potentially available to the Tige's?

Reactions: 1 user
I am not against drafting Jagga.
Just pointing out he aint Zac Butters clone.
Leading Clearances in the AFL 2024 98% of the leading clearance players are big bodied mids.

View attachment 24200
Of those 25, 3 are rucks, then about 6/7 are not big bodies. So we are down to about 75% including no2.
And a few of them ain't exactly quick.

The chance to add a clearance machine who is then just as good on the run is rare. And we will get that chance in a couple of months.

@bengal tigers @Redford If i were to go to only one of the Coates finals days this weekend is it Sunday that would get me the most exposure to the top end talent potentially available to the Tige's?
Heh heh heh Bungal may say otherwise because he's a big Rebels fan, but yes, me personally, I'd go Sunday over Saturday.

Sandy - Reid, Trainor, Armstrong, Oliver, Ashcroft, Cole, Dalton, Sulzberger.
Oakleigh - Jagga, FOS (hopefully), Alger, Gross, Richardson,Retschko.
Knights - Dattoli, Sims, Gillard, Lawson

I probably missed a few...

Langford will play on Saturday. Tauru, Hynes, Ivisic, Jacques as well.

I'm gonna try to get to both days.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Been thinking about this subject for many weeks now. Most - me included - are just looking at highlights of players for the large part. You really need to be at games to get the full picture of a player or at least watching full games on replay, and then multiples of full games at that.

Highlights are almost always gratifying.

There's a few players in particular that, if you were actually at the game, you might have a different perspective of. Josh Smillie comes to mind.

Smillie in a positive or negative way?

Heh heh heh Bungal may say otherwise because he's a big Rebels fan, but yes, me personally, I'd go Sunday over Saturday.

All at Port Melb yeah?

A sneaky chance for Sunday. Will have my youngest with me, so can fill her up with chips and sugar to keep her occupied.

All at Port Melb yeah?

A sneaky chance for Sunday. Will have my youngest with me, so can fill her up with chips and sugar to keep her occupied.
Sandy v Calder 11am
Oakleigh v Knight 1.30pm
Sunday @ Port Melbourne

Those highlights are bloody impressive. Whether he comes to us or not he is going to be a high quality AFL player.

The thing I notice the most is that he has the quality very few players have which is when it looks like there is no space suddenly there is and only the very best do that. Some are like Dusty, they do it with raw power and others do it because it’s just inate and he looks to be one of those.

yep, finds space with grace, like water finds a hollow.

Bolton and Pendlebury do it

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Jagga's ability to get boot to ball in traffic is elite as well, which I rate highly.

My god this debate is never going to end.

HURRY THE *smile* UP DRAFT !

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Yeah your right Robert ,l would say otherwise :LOL: ,maybe 2 of the possible 3 who could go at no 1 are playing on Saturday ,Lalor and Langford ...
Plus a host of other possible 1st-2nd-3rd rounders .

I hope on sunday Dattoli play's the majority as a mid,,l thought he was highly impressive on Saturday ......