2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

and the two best wingman, the four best flankers, the four best pockets, the best sub, 3 of the best emergencies, and an elite whipping boy
Greedy bugger. Gotta leave some crumbs for the rest of the comp or they'll be whinging n complaining.

Reactions: 1 user
Be amazed if we take that many talls EZ.

Expecting one. Two at a push.

agree I dont think we will,

but I reckon given the likely number of high picks we have, and the lag of them coming on,

I would take 3 full forwards/CHF's.

unless there's some rippers next year?

if we take one, as is more likely, I hope its Simms

1. Smith (Richmond)
2. O'Sullivan (Richmond)
3. Ashcroft (Brisbane)
4. Draper (West Coast)
5. Lalor (Adelaide)
6. Smillie (Melbourne)
7. Trainor (North Melbourne)
8. Langford (St Kilda)
9. Reid (Essendon)
10. Lombard (Gold Coast)
11. Armstrong (North Melbourne)
12. Berry (Fremantle)
13. Hotton (Carlton)
14. Travaglia (Richmond)
15. Allan (Richmond)
16. Lindsay (GWS)
17. Kako (Essendon)
18. Marshall (Brisbane)
19. Shanahan (Geelong)
20. Davis (Richmond)
21. J.Whitlock (Sydney)
22. Tauru (Sydney)
23. Dattoli (Richmond)
24. Faull (Richmond)
25. Hynes (West Coast)
26. Oliver (St Kilda)
27. Moraes (St Kilda)
28. L.Camporeale (Carlton)
29. Dodson (Adelaide)
30. Gross (Gold Coast)
31. Champion (West Coast)
32. Sulzberger (Fremantle)
33. Welsh (Adelaide)
34. Sims (Essendon)
35. Gerreyn (Richmond)
36. M.Whitlock (Hawthorn)
37. Mraz (Carlton)
38. O'Farrell (Collingwood)
39. Day-Wicks (Western Bulldogs)

Adelaide: Lalor (5), Dodson (29), Welsh (33),

Brisbane: Ashcroft (3), Marshall (18)

Carlton: Hotton (13), L.Camporeale (28), Mraz (37)

Collingwood: O'Farrell (38)

Essendon: Reid (9), Kako (17), Sims (34)

Fremantle: Berry (12), Sulzberger (32)

Geelong: Shanahan (19)

Gold Coast: Lombard (10), Gross (30)

GWS: Lindsay (16)

Hawthorn: M.Whitlock (36)

Melbourne: Smillie (6)

North Melbourne: Trainor (7), Armstrong (11)

Richmond: Smith (1), O'Sullivan (2), Travaglia (14), Allan (15), Davis (20), Dattoli (23), Faull (24), Gerreyn (35)

St Kilda: Langford (8), Oliver (26), Moraes (27)

Sydney: J.Whitlock (21), Tauru (22)

West Coast: Draper (4), Hynes (25), Champion (31)

Western Bulldogs: Day-Wicks (39)
Awesome effort gappy!

Reactions: 1 users
If l had to pick the player of the day ,it would be Dattoli ,he was very good .
Sulzberger was also very good,l think better than Reid ,and more damaging ,but the opposition the Jets weren't that good.

Sims lm not that keen on at all,they have been playing him as a ruck for a few weeks now ,he doesn't get involved enough as a forward .
I would take Dodson if a few other's are off the board ,not sure we will do that though
Sims is like a number of touted forwards: likes it a bit easy. Great athletically, but right now he likes it a bit easy and there is little second effort with him either. Shanahan the same. Whitlock...not sure. Maybe.

Faull, Nicholls, Armstrong the most competitive for mine in the tall forward stakes. And I'd also take Dodson ahead of some of the others too. I'd also look at Tauru and O'Farrell ahead of a couple as well.

Be amazed if we take that many talls EZ.

Expecting one. Two at a push.
yeah me too, a KPF. I would take a ruck a bit later if there was one left in the 20s or 30s.

I am not sure we need a KPD. If we can fix the forward half we have Balta and Gibcus as pillars down back for the next 5-6 years at least.
and an elite whipping boy

We still have Dow, Ryan, Short and Sonsie on the list. Whipping boys are well represented at RFC atm :)

We still have Dow, Ryan, Short and Sonsie on the list. Whipping boys are well represented at RFC atm :)

yeah Shorty is a pretty elite whipping boy.

By elite, I mean our list is so deep, even the whipping boy is great

you know your in good shape when you have whipping boys of the calibre of Shaun Griggs, Reece Conca, Marlion Pickett etc

dunno if Dow or Sons are gonna make the grade of elite whipping boy?

• Haha
Sims is like a number of touted forwards: likes it a bit easy. Great athletically, but right now he likes it a bit easy and there is little second effort with him either. Shanahan the same. Whitlock...not sure. Maybe.

Faull, Nicholls, Armstrong the most competitive for mine in the tall forward stakes. And I'd also take Dodson ahead of some of the others too. I'd also look at Tauru and O'Farrell ahead of a couple as well.
Jack Whitlock is good ,he works hard ,Armstrong lm still not sold on,he did get involved more in general play on Saturday ,but he doesn't usually ,he is a very good set shot one of the best out of the tall forwards .
Faull lm a little biased towards ,but he does have great work rate ,and that aggression needed for the AFL.

Reactions: 6 users
yeah me too, a KPF. I would take a ruck a bit later if there was one left in the 20s or 30s.

I am not sure we need a KPD. If we can fix the forward half we have Balta and Gibcus as pillars down back for the next 5-6 years at least.

I still think Kosi could play his best football down back.,we need goal kickers in all areas ,FF/CHF/FP/HF.

Reactions: 2 users
this is a good insight into Tom Simms capabilities. He hits his groove and kicks 7.3 in a quarter and a half.

The opponent he unleashes on, Oakleigh No.23 , is no patsy: Lucas Tovey, top age 198cm who made the VM squad and played a champs game.

He does it all in this clip, including turning on a dime and below knees stuff.

18 yo Talls are never gonna do this for 4 quarters, week in/week out.

But this give an insights into what he could be at 22

His quick!

Reactions: 2 users
this is a good insight into Tom Simms capabilities. He hits his groove and kicks 7.3 in a quarter and a half.

The opponent he unleashes on, Oakleigh No.23 , is no patsy: Lucas Tovey, top age 198cm who made the VM squad and played a champs game.

He does it all in this clip, including turning on a dime and below knees stuff.

18 yo Talls are never gonna do this for 4 quarters, week in/week out.

But this give an insights into what he could be at 22

His quick!

Poor work rate as a key forward ,if he's not marking it,he doesn't do much else ,thats why he is playing as a ruck lately.,
We can do better.

Jack Whitlock is good ,he works hard ,Armstrong lm still not sold on,he did get involved more in general play on Saturday ,but he doesn't usually ,he is a very good set shot one of the best out of the tall forwards .
Faull lm a little biased towards ,but he does have great work rate ,and that aggression needed for the AFL.
Yeah. Need more convincing on Whitlock. Have him in the "possibly" category at the moment.

Shanahan and Sims - for now - like almost everything given to them on a nice, simple lead up, ball out in front. If they can begin taking some heavier marks, great. Need to see some of that though.

Love reading this thread. However read one post that says Player X is the one. Next post says player X does not quite measure up but players A,B,C do. The next post pans Players B and C. And around we go

Need to get the finals done and dusted so we can get onto the important stuff

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Love reading this thread. However read one post that says Player X is the one. Next post says player X does not quite measure up but players A,B,C do. The next post pans Players B and C. And around we go

Never been a good judge of young talent (apart from Dusty and blind freddy could see he was elite) so i just read the thread. Thankfull for all the peoples who know their stuff and observe the juniors.

Reactions: 11 users
Poor work rate as a key forward ,if he's not marking it,he doesn't do much else ,thats why he is playing as a ruck lately.,
We can do better.

you've seen him live and I havnt so I respect that.

He appears to have the athleticism.

do you reckon his pick and choose work rate could explain why he barely touched the ball for 3/4 in that clip above, and then kicked 7 in a quarter and a bit, late?

i.e. could he learn whats required?

its not uncommon for talls to not grasp what they need to do with their gifts until they are >22?

where do you have the KPF's ranked against each other currently?

At the end of the day they're just opinions. Don't take it too seriously.
I too appreciate the insight of those that put the time in.

I stopped worrying too much about watching the kids when I realised how much goes on behind the scenes that we're not privy to that goes a long way toward the decision making of who our professional recruiters draft. There's a lot more to it than how they play footy..

Reactions: 8 users
I like the idea of taking both Whitlocks and making one of them our CEO in ~25yrs

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Story in the HS today again that Melbourne want more experienced players and will hit the trade period with Pick 5 and Future first on the table.

That lines up with Melbourne GM Alan Richardson saying last week "We need to get older, we know we can't get younger, it's a recipe for disaster". Basically prepared to go all in with this group.

Melbourne also emphatic Pickett won't be moving back to WA.

For Richmond - Will be interesting if Melbourne look to split pick 5 or say make a play for someone like Andrew Brayshaw who is a restricted free agent at the end of next year and is yet to extend. Pick 5 to Fremantle could certainly change up the Bolton trade - or the other way of Bolton + salary (improve the trade) to help Fremantle re-sign Brayshaw if offers came in at trade time. Melbourne's future first may be worth a look at in a pick trade too.
Ive said this before, so i risk repeating myself. Narmbin might downgrade 5.
Its the only pick below 38 (which blows out to 50 in the real thing).
If they split 5 they can trade in a top mature age and also have a top draft pick.
It gives them cake to have and to eat