2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

No way should we be trading up to 2 and losing pick 6 and 10 etc This draft is to even and deep

One draft scenario no one has really run with is should we ourselves pick trainor with 6?

Mid year a lot of talk that 2 gun key position defenders was maybe preferable to 2 forwards

Taking Trainor gives us a gibcus / balta / trainor punch. Also back up on gibcus injury woes?
Agree we dont trade out 6 if we get it.
Only trade later picks.

On Trainor we have Balta and Gibcus.
And bupkis in the middle. Lets fix that.

Reactions: 1 users

FOOTBALLER. That simple. Kicking in blustery conditions. Clean hands in a tornado. I'm struggling to find fault in him. Been a fan all year and more so now than ever.
Real good footy IQ.
Moves nicely in traffic and always looking to put the pill into someone clear. Can see why you like him.

He and Jags would have the top footy smarts.

Reactions: 5 users
Agree we dont trade out 6 if we get it.
Only trade later picks.

On Trainor we have Balta and Gibcus.
And bupkis in the middle. Lets fix that.
But if we think Trainor is best available at our pick (whichever it may be) we should take him.

We would then have the option of letting Balta go next year in free agency if it were for first round compensation. Particularly if we were to finish in a similar position as this year (which unfortunately looks quite likely if Bolton, Rioli, Graham and Baker depart).

Reactions: 1 user
If I put myself in their shoes i might do it if it included pick 6 that Richmond gets in the Rioli deal. Anything worse than that is a big risk imo. 6 and something in the low teens.
Not sure we would do that however.
Sure but if I,m Richmond then I,m not selling 6 to get 2.
There'll be very good players at 6.

We can use points as a comparison, though i dont fully agree as i think they are too low for the top 5.
But to trade 2 requires 6 and 25.
A club would only do that if they need 25 for another swap.

But 9 and 17 are equal in points. If we gave up 9 and 14 they might be interested.

All conjecture anyway

Reactions: 2 users
But if we think Trainor is best available at our pick (whichever it may be) we should take him.

We would then have the option of letting Balta go next year in free agency if it were for first round compensation. Particularly if we were to finish in a similar position as this year (which unfortunately looks quite likely if Bolton, Rioli, Graham and Baker depart).
Will need to keep players. This is a once of deal.
Otherwise we'll be like gold coast

1. Smith (Richmond)
2. O'Sullivan (Richmond)
3. Ashcroft (Brisbane)
4. Draper (West Coast)
5. Lalor (Adelaide)
6. Smillie (Melbourne)
7. Trainor (North Melbourne)
8. Langford (St Kilda)
9. Reid (Essendon)
10. Lombard (Gold Coast)
11. Armstrong (North Melbourne)
12. Berry (Fremantle)
13. Hotton (Carlton)
14. Travaglia (Richmond)
15. Allan (Richmond)
16. Lindsay (GWS)
17. Kako (Essendon)
18. Marshall (Brisbane)
19. Shanahan (Geelong)
20. Davis (Richmond)
21. J.Whitlock (Sydney)
22. Tauru (Sydney)
23. Dattoli (Richmond)
24. Faull (Richmond)
25. Hynes (West Coast)
26. Oliver (St Kilda)
27. Moraes (St Kilda)
28. L.Camporeale (Carlton)
29. Dodson (Adelaide)
30. Gross (Gold Coast)
31. Champion (West Coast)
32. Sulzberger (Fremantle)
33. Welsh (Adelaide)
34. Sims (Essendon)
35. Gerreyn (Richmond)
36. M.Whitlock (Hawthorn)
37. Mraz (Carlton)
38. O'Farrell (Collingwood)
39. Day-Wicks (Western Bulldogs)

Adelaide: Lalor (5), Dodson (29), Welsh (33),

Brisbane: Ashcroft (3), Marshall (18)

Carlton: Hotton (13), L.Camporeale (28), Mraz (37)

Collingwood: O'Farrell (38)

Essendon: Reid (9), Kako (17), Sims (34)

Fremantle: Berry (12), Sulzberger (32)

Geelong: Shanahan (19)

Gold Coast: Lombard (10), Gross (30)

GWS: Lindsay (16)

Hawthorn: M.Whitlock (36)

Melbourne: Smillie (6)

North Melbourne: Trainor (7), Armstrong (11)

Richmond: Smith (1), O'Sullivan (2), Travaglia (14), Allan (15), Davis (20), Dattoli (23), Faull (24), Gerreyn (35)

St Kilda: Langford (8), Oliver (26), Moraes (27)

Sydney: J.Whitlock (21), Tauru (22)

West Coast: Draper (4), Hynes (25), Champion (31)

Western Bulldogs: Day-Wicks (39)

because to make certain we get who we want, we have to relinquish two blokes we want.

You can walk into the Vic Fish Market with $100 and buy 1kg of Abalone*,

or 1kg of Lobster, a dozen oysters and a kilo of king prawns?

But I fully understand peoples desires, hopes and dreams vary wildly

some circumstances dictate you take 20kg of mullet

*I love Abalone, but I'll take 1/2kg plus a lobster

ok ive made my gourmet marinara, back on footballers.

I think its likely one of Trainor, Smilie, Reid, Langford, Berry, Armstrong

goes Top 5 and throws the cat amongst the pigeons. Its possible 2 of them go top 5.

it not a huge cat, they are all top 10 talent and in many top 10 rankings.

you dont have to look past Guru Twomeys latest ranks, who has draper and lalor there at 6

to realise how wildly unpredictable it is.

Hamish Davis kicked 4 goals from 20d in the WAFL elimination final yesterday. thats 7 goals from 2 league games from a 190cm smooth mover with an overhead game.

There's still a lot to play out, If Claremont win the flag, and this kid kicks 5 and wins the Simpson medal,

WC could take him at 2 :oops:
Real men go and catch the dogs not go to market spanner crab

• Haha

Good player this kid but he does have a weird Jim Krakouer type kicking style. Feeds the ball down onto his right with both hands much like Jim used to but not as pronounced as Phil's kicking style.

Tigers had a full back a few years ago that used to kick the same way (?) Long and accurate but ungainly. Not sure how that translates to the top level.

What I do like about him as that he seems to adapt well the higher the levels go. Good size for a med fwd at about 190cms.

He's the nephew of former Subiaco and fringe Eagles player Damian Hampson.
Yeah, it looks like he drops it rather than guides it but it doesn’t seem to affect his kicking efficiency.

Are you talking about Gaspar as the Richmond full back?

Im hoping and certain we should end up with
1 , 7 , 10 , 11 , 16 , 17, 21 , 22
16 from eagles
17 brisbane

1. FOS
7. Lalor
10. langford /Smillie
11. Shannahan
16. Hotton
17. Berry
--- Later pick Sims
3 x Mids
2 x small Fwds
2 x KPF

21 & 22 trade for 1st rounders in 25 if good offers

Combined with Sharp in 2025 thats 4 very good mids + McAullif , Sonsie , Campbell, Clarke

• Love
  • Sad
Im hoping and certain we should end up with
1 , 7 , 10 , 11 , 16 , 17, 21 , 22
16 from eagles
17 brisbane

1. FOS
7. Lalor
10. langford /Smillie
11. Shannahan
16. Hotton
17. Berry
--- Later pick Sims
3 x Mids
2 x small Fwds
2 x KPF

21 & 22 trade for 1st rounders in 25 if good offers

Combined with Sharp in 2025 thats 4 very good mids + McAullif , Sonsie , Campbell, Clarke
You lost me at Sonsie 😄

Reactions: 3 users
Sure but if I,m Richmond then I,m not selling 6 to get 2.
There'll be very good players at 6.

We can use points as a comparison, though i dont fully agree as i think they are too low for the top 5.
But to trade 2 requires 6 and 25.
A club would only do that if they need 25 for another swap.

But 9 and 17 are equal in points. If we gave up 9 and 14 they might be interested.

All conjecture anyway
Yeah, we probably wouldn’t do it.

But as far as north is concerned if they are going to swap pick 2 and they want the best kpp in the draft they are going to want to have a pick before 9.

No way should we be trading up to 2 and losing pick 6 and 10 etc This draft is to even and deep

One draft scenario no one has really run with is should we ourselves pick trainor with 6?

Mid year a lot of talk that 2 gun key position defenders was maybe preferable to 2 forwards

Taking Trainor gives us a gibcus / balta / trainor punch. Also back up on gibcus injury woes?
Get midfielders
Get talls later.
Talyor in the 20's
Oscar Allan in the 20's
Larkey in the 70's
Tracey rookie

Get midfielders
Get talls later.
Talyor in the 20's
Oscar Allan in the 20's
Larkey in the 70's
Tracey rookie
Certainly in the teens you can get them. Curnow, McKay, Jack R as examples.

Cadman, JUH, Darcy are the real up and coming forwards, forget Vandenhoogenband, all very high draft picks. If there is quality we should take it imo.

Cadman, JUH, Darcy are the real up and coming forwards, forget Vandenhoogenband, all very high draft picks. If there is quality we should take it imo.
100%

We desperately need the best key fwd, best defender and best ruck in the draft inaddition to a couple of the best mids.

Not the biggest ask seeing how many picks we will end up with.

agree.

if all the picks materialise, we should identify the best, snakiest, most athletic KPF, and take them at 10,

then another couple in the 20's

going by the media rankings, you take Armstrong at 10, and two of Simms, jack Whitlock, Faull, shanahan , etc in the 20's

a haul something like Jagga, lalor, Armstrong, JoeBerry, toby travaglia, tom Simms, jack whitlock

ideally all the talls come on and we end up with a Roach/Taylor/Jackson situation

Last edited:
100%

We desperately need the best key fwd, best defender and best ruck in the draft inaddition to a couple of the best mids.

Not the biggest ask seeing how many picks we will end up with.

and the two best wingman, the four best flankers, the four best pockets, the best sub, 3 of the best emergencies, and an elite whipping boy

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Great wrap. I’ve noticed Sulzberger as well, I’m a fan. Just posted it.

Sims rucking is interesting, it makes him more involved and even more versatile prospect but I prefer Dotson as a ruck forward and Sims as a key forward who clunks in a pack and leads hard and fast. On a horrible windy day, it gives him a chance to showcase his tank.
If l had to pick the player of the day ,it would be Dattoli ,he was very good .
Sulzberger was also very good,l think better than Reid ,and more damaging ,but the opposition the Jets weren't that good.

Sims lm not that keen on at all,they have been playing him as a ruck for a few weeks now ,he doesn't get involved enough as a forward .
I would take Dodson if a few other's are off the board ,not sure we will do that though

agree.

if all the picks materialise, we should identify the best, snakiest, most athletic KPF, and take them at 10,

then another couple in the 20's

going by the media rankings, you take Armstrong at 10, and two of Simms, jack Whitlock, Faull, shanahan , etc in the 20's

a haul something like Jagga, lalor, Armstrong, JoeBerry, toby travaglia, tom Simms, jack whitlock

ideally all the talls come on and we end up with a Roach/Taylor/Jackson situation

Be amazed if we take that many talls EZ.

Expecting one. Two at a push.

Reactions: 2 users