2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Story in the HS today again that Melbourne want more experienced players and will hit the trade period with Pick 5 and Future first on the table.

That lines up with Melbourne GM Alan Richardson saying last week "We need to get older, we know we can't get younger, it's a recipe for disaster". Basically prepared to go all in with this group.

Melbourne also emphatic Pickett won't be moving back to WA.

For Richmond - Will be interesting if Melbourne look to split pick 5 or say make a play for someone like Andrew Brayshaw who is a restricted free agent at the end of next year and is yet to extend. Pick 5 to Fremantle could certainly change up the Bolton trade - or the other way of Bolton + salary (improve the trade) to help Fremantle re-sign Brayshaw if offers came in at trade time. Melbourne's future first may be worth a look at in a pick trade too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
All hyperbole aside - is this a realistic expectation of what we are likely to get?

Or is it more likely to be
Rioli - 1 pick in the high teens
Baker - early second round
Shai - 9 with something back or 17

Sincere question -trying to guess that the other clubs would be prepared to pay (not what we think we should get)?
WC gave picks 14 24 37 & F1 for Kelly from Cats
Cats gave picks 13 15 20 & F4 for Cameron from GWS
Freo gave picks 13 F1 & F2 for Jackson from Dees

IMO Dans our best player in 2024 we should get 2 firsts 6 & 20 from GC for him
$hai should also be 2 firsts from Freo picks 9 & 10

Reactions: 5 users

Good player this kid but he does have a weird Jim Krakouer type kicking style. Feeds the ball down onto his right with both hands much like Jim used to but not as pronounced as Phil's kicking style.

Tigers had a full back a few years ago that used to kick the same way (?) Long and accurate but ungainly. Not sure how that translates to the top level.

What I do like about him as that he seems to adapt well the higher the levels go. Good size for a med fwd at about 190cms.

He's the nephew of former Subiaco and fringe Eagles player Damian Hampson.

I watched the first half. He felt for his left hammy a couple of times in the first quarter. He went to the bench twice in the first half of the second quarter and to full-forward when he came back on. Didn't move far from the goal square.

Hannaford and big Floyd the ones to impress from what I saw.
I think it was tightness ,but l guess they will find out today.
I thought from this match Faull was good in his work rate up and down the forward line,the conditions looked worse than what was at Ballarat.
Jack O looked good .
We haven't mentioned any Tassie boys on here,But l thought Connor Ling looked alright ,great work rate .

Anyway l was at the Ballarat Games Long day and stayed sober ,it was quite windy ,but not as bad as it was on Sunday ,or today for that matter.

I thought the first match was the best ,a bit of oomph in it .
I thought Jagga didn't handle the close attention that well,and they went for him which was a good test Still not in the top 5 for me .
A number of bottom agers played well, Emmett and Cooper Duff where good ,as was Kneipp ,has a bit of hardness about him ,Hannegraf did some nice things .

Second match Eastern vrs Northern .
I thought Smillie was good ,but he doesn't follow up very well,and his size wins him quite a few possessions against much smaller player's ,still maintain he doesn't have a big leap.
Dattoli was really good ,probably his best all round game this year .
Cody Anderson ,l wish we could get him with a second round onwards ,,his attack on the ball is great,would love him in the Tiges forward line .
A player l haven't seen much of this year Jordyn Gillard was also really good ,great work rate .
Tom Sims playing mainly as ruck was solid ,but lm not a fan for him to come to Tigerland ,,sorry Scoop.

The Dragons vrs Jets .

This was very one sided ,the Jets just didn't have the cattle to match the dragons in many areas .
I thought the Jets best where the 2 bottom agers Tom Burton,and Magpies f/s Tom Mcguane ,with mention to 2026 hope Lachlan Hicks who did some nice things .

Dragons,,,Tasmanian boarding school player Nath Sulzberger was really good in the midfield.
Murphy Reid was good ,nice user of the ball,and dangerous around ,if l have a knock on him he's not a physical player ,l rate him higher than Jagga.
Armstrong got a lot more involved in this match ,and hit the scoreboard ,he is a really good shot at goal .
The usual suspects like Ashcroft and Trainor where good .

I wouldn't go ranting about the Dragons performance because the Jets just didn't have the match ups ,and played there best football in the first quarter .

Reactions: 13 users

Good player this kid but he does have a weird Jim Krakouer type kicking style. Feeds the ball down onto his right with both hands much like Jim used to but not as pronounced as Phil's kicking style.

Tigers had a full back a few years ago that used to kick the same way (?) Long and accurate but ungainly. Not sure how that translates to the top level.

What I do like about him as that he seems to adapt well the higher the levels go. Good size for a med fwd at about 190cms.

He's the nephew of former Subiaco and fringe Eagles player Damian Hampson.

yeah, Ryan garthwaite

I think on 2024 form, ashcroft, lombard and langford have to be ahead of draper.

Drapers champs were just OK, langford and lombard won the Larke, and all 3 had good senior form like draper.

I think objectivity is like pregnancy,

You cant half do it.

And to be honest, Reid has slipped between my cracks, ive hardly seen him play
I have Draper that high based on SANFL form, Ashcroft is probs still 1 if I'm honest but I take the academy boys out when I rank. Lombard I would have behind Jagga, Draper, Langford, Reid on performance. And then FOS on potential sits comfortably in that first 2.

Reactions: 2 users
All hyperbole aside - is this a realistic expectation of what we are likely to get?

Or is it more likely to be
Rioli - 1 pick in the high teens
Baker - early second round
Shai - 9 with something back or 17

Sincere question -trying to guess that the other clubs would be prepared to pay (not what we think we should get)?
Richmond holds all the bargaining power with Bolton and Rioli

Even just pick 6 for Rioli is not enough. If Suns don't go with pick 6 plus another of their first rounders then we just say no thanks and hand Rioli his expected training dates. There maybe later picks involved

With Fremantle it has to be 9 and 10 minimum or again we keep Bolton

Reactions: 10 users
I don't know why people are talking about Tanbling .
We took Lids before Roughead ,Franklin, Lewis,,l would love to know how many goals Lids had kicked on him as a back line player .

I have Draper that high based on SANFL form, Ashcroft is probs still 1 if I'm honest but I take the academy boys out when I rank. Lombard I would have behind Jagga, Draper, Langford, Reid on performance. And then FOS on potential sits comfortably in that first 2.

you're doing very well only having 3 blokes comfortably in the top 2.

I reckon ive got 6

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Nathaniel Sulzberger - High half forward, just so busy. Runs up and back all day. Lateral movement in traffic was outstanding. According to the Age has a sub 6 minutes 2Km already. I believe that, ran all day hard. Would love to know the score involvements for this lad, felt like every time he got involved Sandy scored. And another one who is clean with the footy. Good kick, plays inside out. Gets in and OUT of traffic. Keep watching.
Had 29 and kicked 3 on the weekend. APS with Melbourne Grammar for most of the year. I like elite runners. I like elite runners who can win their own footy, think Connor MacDonald. With a late pick, I’m interested in this lad. Coming home with a rush.

Reactions: 7 users
I think it was tightness ,but l guess they will find out today.
I thought from this match Faull was good in his work rate up and down the forward line,the conditions looked worse than what was at Ballarat.
Jack O looked good .
We haven't mentioned any Tassie boys on here,But l thought Connor Ling looked alright ,great work rate .

Anyway l was at the Ballarat Games Long day and stayed sober ,it was quite windy ,but not as bad as it was on Sunday ,or today for that matter.

I thought the first match was the best ,a bit of oomph in it .
I thought Jagga didn't handle the close attention that well,and they went for him which was a good test Still not in the top 5 for me .
A number of bottom agers played well, Emmett and Cooper Duff where good ,as was Kneipp ,has a bit of hardness about him ,Hannegraf did some nice things .

Second match Eastern vrs Northern .
I thought Smillie was good ,but he doesn't follow up very well,and his size wins him quite a few possessions against much smaller player's ,still maintain he doesn't have a big leap.
Dattoli was really good ,probably his best all round game this year .
Cody Anderson ,l wish we could get him with a second round onwards ,,his attack on the ball is great,would love him in the Tiges forward line .
A player l haven't seen much of this year Jordyn Gillard was also really good ,great work rate .
Tom Sims playing mainly as ruck was solid ,but lm not a fan for him to come to Tigerland ,,sorry Scoop.

The Dragons vrs Jets .

This was very one sided ,the Jets just didn't have the cattle to match the dragons in many areas .
I thought the Jets best where the 2 bottom agers Tom Burton,and Magpies f/s Tom Mcguane ,with mention to 2026 hope Lachlan Hicks who did some nice things .

Dragons,,,Tasmanian boarding school player Nath Sulzberger was really good in the midfield.
Murphy Reid was good ,nice user of the ball,and dangerous around ,if l have a knock on him he's not a physical player ,l rate him higher than Jagga.
Armstrong got a lot more involved in this match ,and hit the scoreboard ,he is a really good shot at goal .
The usual suspects like Ashcroft and Trainor where good .

I wouldn't go ranting about the Dragons performance because the Jets just didn't have the match ups ,and played there best football in the first quarter .
Great wrap. I’ve noticed Sulzberger as well, I’m a fan. Just posted it.

Sims rucking is interesting, it makes him more involved and even more versatile prospect but I prefer Dotson as a ruck forward and Sims as a key forward who clunks in a pack and leads hard and fast. On a horrible windy day, it gives him a chance to showcase his tank.

Great wrap. I’ve noticed Sulzberger as well, I’m a fan. Just posted it.

Sims rucking is interesting, it makes him more involved and even more versatile prospect but I prefer Dotson as a ruck forward and Sims as a key forward who clunks in a pack and leads hard and fast. On a horrible windy day, it gives him a chance to showcase his tank.
Dodson ? Datsun ?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
No way should we be trading up to 2 and losing pick 6 and 10 etc This draft is to even and deep

One draft scenario no one has really run with is should we ourselves pick trainor with 6?

Mid year a lot of talk that 2 gun key position defenders was maybe preferable to 2 forwards

Taking Trainor gives us a gibcus / balta / trainor punch. Also back up on gibcus injury woes?

Reactions: 7 users
I see 2025 prospect Cooper Duff-Tytler was named in Cannons best AGAIN, any of you Junior watchers got a bead on him for 2025?

ANOTHER ‘UNICORN’ ON THE WAY

He’s known at the Calder Cannons as ‘The Unicorn’ and Cooper Duff-Tytler is quickly emerging as one of the top draft prospects for 2025.

The ruckman – who celebrated his 17th birthday on Thursday – was named the Cannons’ second-best player last weekend after gathering 30 disposals, 10 marks, 17 hit-outs and kicking two goals in a loss to the Dandenong Stingrays.

It was just his third match at under-18 level in the Coates Talent League.

The outing came a week after Duff-Tytler had also caught the eye in an under-17 trial match for Vic Metro, gathering 13 disposals, five marks, five hit-outs, five clearances and kicking two goals in that match against Queensland.

A dual-sport athlete, Duff-Tytler last year represented Australia at the FIBA under-16 Asian Championship in Qatar.

He already tops 200cm and is still growing.

Duff-Tytler has been likened to Fremantle ruckman Luke Jackson, who similarly had a strong basketball background and can take hit-outs before turning into a 199cm midfielder.

The No. 3 draft pick in 2019, Jackson has also been referred to as a ‘Unicorn’.

“We can see him (Duff-Tytler) as a very early prospect for next year if he commits to footy,” Calder Cannons talent manager Sebastian Spagnuolo told this column.

“He moves like no 200cm player can move, he gets involved in handball chains, he’s like an old-fashioned follower that takes the hitout and then he’s another midfielder.”
If his dad's name is Jason, I used to play cricket against him. He was 6'5" in u16, and a fairly quick bowler, ended up playing district for Essendon. That surname is very unusual...