2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I reckon Langfords body of work, and probably ability,

is analogous to Colby McKercher (yeah, mckercher is quicker)/

which is a kind of form line that Langford is top 3 most years.

but I think this year he is 5-10.

its not hard to make a case he's better at everything Sam Lalor does.

But I think Lalor is just getting fit.

we make these kind of calls with horses every Saturday

Reactions: 1 users
agree.

its a kind of FOMO Ghost of Richard Tambling I reckon.

I get it
And Tambling isn't in the top 10 worst pick 4's!

The Buddy factor might loom large but Tambo was fine.

Tambo was a better footballer than Conca.

Reactions: 4 users
It's just an opinion piece that WC should ask for AFL assistance.

Motormouth Mitch: West Coast Eagles should ask for compensation pick from AFL to land Richmond star Liam Baker​

Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Sun, 1 September 2024 4:30PM
Comments
Mitchell Woodcock
West Coast should ask the AFL for a compensation pick following another season at the bottom of the ladder in a bid to help them land Richmond’s Liam Baker, writes Mitchell Woodcock.

Best Baker Bet​

Priority picks are a murky subject and often compromise the draft.
The AFL set the precedent last year though when they handed North Melbourne three picks at the end of the first round over 2023 and 2024.
North Melbourne traded out those picks to better their draft hand and bring in players such as Dylan Stephens.
After 10 wins in three seasons, West Coast would have a compelling case to ask for a priority pick themselves.
I said earlier this year they shouldn’t get a compensation pick because a lot of their struggles are their own doing and I stand by that, but it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t ask.
All that matters is what the AFL think and given they would want the Eagles to be rebuilding quickly after three horror seasons, they might be inclined to give a compensation pick to the Eagles.
Getting a pick at the end of the first round in this year’s draft could be used to trade to Richmond for Liam Baker without hurting their rebuild.
Simply because right now they are expected to use a first-round draft pick to land the Tigers’ vice-captain despite needing early picks to bring in young talent.
West Coast need to get smart to get Liam Baker and hold a good draft hand. AFL Photos
Currently the Eagles have pick No.3 and are set to land Hawthorn’s first pick for the expected trade of premiership defender Tom Barrass later this year.
They consensus is that West Coast will use the pick from the Hawks to land Baker because the Subiaco-product wants to ensure the Tigers get proper compensation for losing him.
If the Eagles swallow a bit of pride and get some help from the AFL then they could possibly still keep two first-round picks and land Baker, which is a crucial move in the development of the list.
Otherwise, they’re likely going to only have one first-round pick in consecutive seasons which is not ideal considering they’re in a rebuild alongside North Melbourne and Richmond.
And with Tasmania coming into the league in the not-to-distance future, they really need to get their hands on as much young talent as they can.
West Coast need to think left of centre to land Baker and a strong draft hand this year. Asking the AFL for a compensation pick might be a smart move.

simple if this happens then WC have picks 3 and 19 and we still get Hawks first rounder for Bakes (a future tiger captain)……

Reactions: 1 user
Give me extended top tier performance against peers in their top age year as a barometer. Can't think of a midfielder that was taken at 1 who didn't have that.

agree.

I reckon on top age performance, the top 10 would look something like

Jagga, Ashcroft, lombard, langford, trainor, Lindsay, Draper, joe berry, murphy reid, travaglia

Note: thats not my top 10

agree.

I reckon on top age performance, the top 10 would look something like

Jagga, Ashcroft, lombard, langford, trainor, Lindsay, Draper, joe berry, murphy reid, travaglia

Note: thats not my top 10
Draper at 2, Murphy Reid at 4.

And Tambling isn't in the top 10 worst pick 4's!

The Buddy factor might loom large but Tambo was fine.

Tambo was a better footballer than Conca.
He should have been played in the backline very early in the piece. Speed & skills. Would do very well the way the game is played now. Could have a Rioli like impact.

Reactions: 4 users
He should have been played in the backline very early in the piece. Speed & skills. Would do very well the way the game is played now. Could have a Rioli like impact.
That's where he played his best footy, in 2009.

Ah good old Richard Tambling AKA The Witness. No awareness or vision.

Still remember the ongoing debates with Disco08 telling him how limited he was.

• Haha
Those times dont reflect what he does on the field. I assume there has been improvement since the start of the year.

Regardless you cant ignore what he is doing on field.

He finds the footy against juniors, is very good overhead and a very nice long kick.

The concern is that with his lack of pace, he also doesn't have a step. He's not exactly twinkle toes. Have a fear it will limit him against the big boys when the pace goes up 50 notches.

Reckon very best you can hope for is Hayden Young (a very good player), but a very good chance he doesn't make that.

This was Xavier Lindsay on him for a reasonable portion of the first qtr last week before getting injured (11 possessions).

Personally, would be just as happy getting Lindsay as Langford. Similar style and outputs through the year and one projected to go a decent lick lower. Reckon Lindsay has more agility and more versatile.

On that - anyone have Lindsay's test results.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Ah good old Richard Tambling AKA The Witness. No awareness or vision.

Still remember the ongoing debates with Disco08 telling him how limited he was.
The ole Duck. Another one who came a cropper. Heh heh heh....he was even one of her best allies there for a long time. What a "regime". :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

FOOTBALLER. That simple. Kicking in blustery conditions. Clean hands in a tornado. I'm struggling to find fault in him. Been a fan all year and more so now than ever.

Reactions: 5 users

FOOTBALLER. That simple. Kicking in blustery conditions. Clean hands in a tornado. I'm struggling to find fault in him. Been a fan all year and more so now than ever.
Lack of genuine pace is the only question mark. Otherwise, he would be a top 5 lock.

Draper at 2, Murphy Reid at 4.

I think on 2024 form, ashcroft, lombard and langford have to be ahead of draper.

Drapers champs were just OK, langford and lombard won the Larke, and all 3 had good senior form like draper.

I think objectivity is like pregnancy,

You cant half do it.

And to be honest, Reid has slipped between my cracks, ive hardly seen him play

Coates quarter finals:
Falcons v Rebels
Dandy v Gippy
Sandy v Calder
Oakleigh v Knights

Could see prelims:.
Sandy v Dandy
Oakleigh v Rebels

Sandy v Oakleigh GF

Rioli for 6, 20
Shai 9, 17
Baker 12
Brisbane 1st (14) for late picks

All hyperbole aside - is this a realistic expectation of what we are likely to get?

Or is it more likely to be
Rioli - 1 pick in the high teens
Baker - early second round
Shai - 9 with something back or 17

Sincere question -trying to guess that the other clubs would be prepared to pay (not what we think we should get)?