2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

There’s been a stack of different scenarios as to what picks will end up after the Bolton, Rioli, Baker and Graham (FA) trades however I think realistically this will be where it will end up.

Bolton - 9 & 10
Rioli - 6
Baker - 24 and West Coast F2
Graham - 22 Compo pick

Points trade with Brisbane for circa pick 14.

This would leave us with 1,6,9,10,14,21,22,24

I think we need to be taking 6 top 25 picks this year and push the rest to next year and would love something like this:

Trade 21 & 22 for future firsts.

This would give us a future hand of one early first (ours), 2 mid/late firsts, 2 early seconds (ours and WC).

That is a lot of picks in the next 2 years and would really set us up for our next push while spreading potential risk across 2 drafts.

On a side note I use this years hand on Fos, LalorSmith/Langford, Armstrong, Berry, Travaglia/Hotton, Wittlock/Faull

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with most of that but very unlikely you are trading 21 and 22 for more than 1 x future 1st

Stars would need to align with a player sliding that a club in the premiership window really loves available at those picks.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with most of that but very unlikely you are trading 21 and 22 for more than 1 x future 1st

Stars would need to align with a player sliding that a club in the premiership window really loves available at those picks.
That may be the case and if so if look to move the Brissy pick and pick 21 into next year and take 22 instead.

Reckon we need to find away to get 2 firsts into next year and can’t really see another way without weakening this years hand too much.

Reactions: 1 users
West coast wont trade 3?
Any reasons? New coach would be one.

On the trade side
- need everything. So multiple picks help
- getting Trainor helps cover the loss of Barass. Should be available later 5-12
- best west aussie mid Bo Allen should be available 10-15
- key forward / back can be selected 10-20
- chief recruiter is known to trade back. And he can point to RFC's current hand as the best way

In essence they can pick the best WA mid to counter go-home factor and get a key back.
By trading away 3 on someone they werent going to choose anyway.
Matuhew clarke as list manager? They trade.

In my no idea opinion
Hard to know but to me the reason west coast wouldn’t trade pick 3 is the same reason we want to keep pick 1, they want the best player they can get. We can put up all the trade deals we like to get pick 2 or pick 3 but I would have thought it is probably unlikely the kangas or eagles will deal.
But as you say, I don’t have any idea either so just opinion.
The only thing I could think of is if they are so spooked by go home factor they are going to get the best WA kids they can but I doubt that.
I heard 3-4 months ago through a mate in the kangas coterie that they were aiming at the best KPP they can get in this draft because they are stacked with mids. I don’t know if that has changed but maybe they might deal if they thought they could achieve that still.
If we can get pick 6 in a Rioli deal we are still going to get 2 of the top 6 available players, that’s pretty good in itself.

Reactions: 3 users
Combine testing will tell us a lot. But as you say he keeps on finding the pill but more importantly consistently hits the scoreboard. You cant underestimate the value in that as a mid. Speed or no speed.

I also wouldnt judge him on that 1 VFL game.

He is producing better numbers than Lalor who all have in the top 5.

Spook posted his numbers from pre-season:

Vertical: 61cm
Vertical R: 70cm
Vertical L: 72cm
5m: 1.210
10m: 1.949
20m: 3.213
Agility: 8.721
Yo-yo: 720

Poor 20m time (you can see that on-field) and average Yo-Yo.

The latter is the one that will be interesting at the end of the year. He does seem to keep chugging along OK in games.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
not sure, I'm not subscribed either.

It's just an opinion piece that WC should ask for AFL assistance.

Motormouth Mitch: West Coast Eagles should ask for compensation pick from AFL to land Richmond star Liam Baker​

Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Sun, 1 September 2024 4:30PM
Comments
Mitchell Woodcock
West Coast should ask the AFL for a compensation pick following another season at the bottom of the ladder in a bid to help them land Richmond’s Liam Baker, writes Mitchell Woodcock.

Best Baker Bet​

Priority picks are a murky subject and often compromise the draft.
The AFL set the precedent last year though when they handed North Melbourne three picks at the end of the first round over 2023 and 2024.
North Melbourne traded out those picks to better their draft hand and bring in players such as Dylan Stephens.
After 10 wins in three seasons, West Coast would have a compelling case to ask for a priority pick themselves.
I said earlier this year they shouldn’t get a compensation pick because a lot of their struggles are their own doing and I stand by that, but it doesn’t mean they shouldn’t ask.
All that matters is what the AFL think and given they would want the Eagles to be rebuilding quickly after three horror seasons, they might be inclined to give a compensation pick to the Eagles.
Getting a pick at the end of the first round in this year’s draft could be used to trade to Richmond for Liam Baker without hurting their rebuild.
Simply because right now they are expected to use a first-round draft pick to land the Tigers’ vice-captain despite needing early picks to bring in young talent.
West Coast need to get smart to get Liam Baker and hold a good draft hand. AFL Photos
Currently the Eagles have pick No.3 and are set to land Hawthorn’s first pick for the expected trade of premiership defender Tom Barrass later this year.
They consensus is that West Coast will use the pick from the Hawks to land Baker because the Subiaco-product wants to ensure the Tigers get proper compensation for losing him.
If the Eagles swallow a bit of pride and get some help from the AFL then they could possibly still keep two first-round picks and land Baker, which is a crucial move in the development of the list.
Otherwise, they’re likely going to only have one first-round pick in consecutive seasons which is not ideal considering they’re in a rebuild alongside North Melbourne and Richmond.
And with Tasmania coming into the league in the not-to-distance future, they really need to get their hands on as much young talent as they can.
West Coast need to think left of centre to land Baker and a strong draft hand this year. Asking the AFL for a compensation pick might be a smart move.

Don't reckon I've seen PRE ignore or down play actual production more than this draft class.

And not just down play, talk down actual production. Those that have produced have had more holes poked in their games than those that haven't.
It's an interesting comparison for the stat-minded. What's better - Jagga's 34 disposals and 0.5 goals per game, or Langford's 25 and 2.1? Does it put them on a relatively even par, so that we can say there is not much between them? If so, does Cooper Hynes' 25 and 2.1 then put him even with Langford and therefore close to or even par with Jagga? On paper Hynes is equally as productive as Langford, and it's not hard to argue their extra 1.6 goals per game each are worth as much or more than Jagga's extra 9 disposals.

George Stevens averaged 29 disposals for the Rebels last year.

I heard 3-4 months ago through a mate in the kangas coterie that they were aiming at the best KPP they can get in this draft because they are stacked with mids. I don’t know if that has changed but maybe they might deal if they thought they could achieve that still.
Speaking to someone who would know last week and think that's still the plan. They are probably only going to take three picks in the draft as well. Currently they have 2, 22 and 40, so there could be a chance to trade for pick 2. Depends what we want to give up for it, what they'll accept, and if there's another suitor.

Reactions: 4 users

The latter is the one that will be interesting at the end of the year. He does seem to keep chugging along OK in games.
What was Big Willie Smillie's pre-season testing ?

Speaking to someone who would know last week and think that's still the plan. They are probably only going to take three picks in the draft as well. Currently they have 2, 22 and 40, so there could be a chance to trade for pick 2. Depends what we want to give up for it, what they'll accept, and if there's another suitor.
If I put myself in their shoes i might do it if it included pick 6 that Richmond gets in the Rioli deal. Anything worse than that is a big risk imo. 6 and something in the low teens.
Not sure we would do that however.

It's an interesting comparison for the stat-minded. What's better - Jagga's 34 disposals and 0.5 goals per game, or Langford's 25 and 2.1? Does it put them on a relatively even par, so that we can say there is not much between them? If so, does Cooper Hynes' 25 and 2.1 then put him even with Langford and therefore close to or even par with Jagga? On paper Hynes is equally as productive as Langford, and it's not hard to argue their extra 1.6 goals per game each are worth as much or more than Jagga's extra 9 disposals.
Give me extended top tier performance against peers in their top age year as a barometer. Can't think of a midfielder that was taken at 1 who didn't have that.

Reactions: 2 users

George Stevens averaged 29 disposals for the Rebels last year.

Your question is,does 25 with 2 goals
Beat 34 with .50 goals,absolutely no contest as most of the greatest ever mids were goal.kicking mids,think players like dusty ,danger,ablett, garry Wilson,Mathews,kb,Bobby skilton ,absolutely the super elite.

Those times dont reflect what he does on the field. I assume there has been improvement since the start of the year.

Regardless you cant ignore what he is doing on field.

Don't reckon I've seen PRE ignore or down play actual production more than this draft class.

And not just down play, talk down actual production. Those that have produced have had more holes poked in their games than those that haven't.
There is a fair bit of cheerleading going on which is why this is happening.

Reactions: 5 users