2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

George Grey wearing number 68
Pretty impressed by this highlight reel. Good goal sense, runs hard at the ball, even a couple of "don't argues" . Worth a late pick if we have room om the list?

Reactions: 1 users
Unless he turns out to be a Patrick Cripps type.
Don’t get too preoccupied with speed if they’re just great footballers who can run all day. Nothing has so far pointed to the fact that he can’t. Everyone is just petrified we’ll end up with another RCD.

Nah have to disagree re: running all day.

Have watched him a number of times this year.

Some good judges on here have also watched him live over the past couple of weeks and he has some limitations with his ability to cover the ground.

Even taking away his lack of running ability and the fact he plods from contest to contest.

He is a long way from a Cripps type. Have commented for a while he plays a little man's game in a big man's body.

Really nice kick, receives well, reasonably clean and gets in chains around a stoppage (but not after that).

But just doesn't have that aggression at the football, use his strength and size, nor have the explosiveness like the best contested beasts do.

Maybe he can change that. But it's a big maybe at the top end of the draft.

All opinions - But anyone drafting him will end up disappointed when he doesn't turn out that Cripps type. And he doesn't quite have the running ability to play the link role. Suspect he'll be a frustrating watch for whoever drafts him.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Hamish Davis who had a very good National Championships, has been playing seniors for the last month os so, I like him.

Think @Redford was banging on about this boy as well.

Saw the highlights of what he did in the WAFL finals on a wet day, 21 touches and 4 goals. His third goal is absolute class.

Need to see more but geez I’m intrigued. What game do I watch to see more?

Reactions: 1 user
He can find the footy this kid and hit the scoreboard.

Not sure how he is not in the top 5.

Again, his agility and acceleration Smokin.

But he does keep producing, just doesn't have the class and tricks of FoS and Jagga (and Draper) when up in grade at VFL level. We saw that in their appearances.

Reckon slots perfectly in that 6-10 slot. Just not the very top echelon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
If we got him at 20 you'd spew up? I'd be rapt!
he won't fall to 20, but if he did it would depend on who we had drafted to that point, & who is left on the board. If he would be the best by a fair margin then probably.

Last edited:
I'm on the Harvey Langford train, another massive game yesterday.

Reactions: 4 users
Why do you think Trainor goes top 5?
Yes he's rated as the best tall, but it doesnt get him more points than a mid.
There has been comments on here that north should pick him because they need talls, but thats our opinion of their needs not his standing.
And all evidence for north is they pick best available mids. So if they keep 2 then its prob Jags or Smillie

it is speculation based on logic.

1. many would have Trainor top 5 on merit, AA full back

2. north are mid rich and tall defender poor

3. he is Doug wades grandson

I think its 50/50 north take him because he wont be there at their next pick

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, I mentioned him during the week, he kicked 3 goals last week. I'm watching him now, he had 7 disposals in the first quarter against the East Fremantle.
Has certainly got AFL traits.
Hopefully our man in WA is impressed.

Reactions: 2 users
Thats the issue IF
Why not get rid of the IF and make certain we get who we want.

because to make certain we get who we want, we have to relinquish two blokes we want.

You can walk into the Vic Fish Market with $100 and buy 1kg of Abalone*,

or 1kg of Lobster, a dozen oysters and a kilo of king prawns?

But I fully understand peoples desires, hopes and dreams vary wildly

some circumstances dictate you take 20kg of mullet

*I love Abalone, but I'll take 1/2kg plus a lobster

ok ive made my gourmet marinara, back on footballers.

I think its likely one of Trainor, Smilie, Reid, Langford, Berry, Armstrong

goes Top 5 and throws the cat amongst the pigeons. Its possible 2 of them go top 5.

it not a huge cat, they are all top 10 talent and in many top 10 rankings.

you dont have to look past Guru Twomeys latest ranks, who has draper and lalor there at 6

to realise how wildly unpredictable it is.

Hamish Davis kicked 4 goals from 20d in the WAFL elimination final yesterday. thats 7 goals from 2 league games from a 190cm smooth mover with an overhead game.

There's still a lot to play out, If Claremont win the flag, and this kid kicks 5 and wins the Simpson medal,

WC could take him at 2 :oops:

Last edited:
because to make certain we get who we want, we have to relinquish two blokes we want.

You can walk into the Vic Fish Market with $100 and buy 1kg of Abalone*,

or 1kg of Lobster, a dozen oysters and a kilo of king prawns?

But I fully understand peoples desires, hopes and dreams vary wildly

some circumstances dictate you take 20kg of mullet

*I love Abalone, but I'll take 1/2kg plus a lobster

ok ive made my gourmet marinara, back on footballers.

I think its likely one of Trainor, Smilie, Reid, Langford, Berry, Armstrong

goes Top 5 and throws the cat amongst the pigeons.

it not a huge cat, they are all top 10 talent and in many top 10 rankings.

you dont have to look past Guru Twomeys latest ranks, who has draper and lalor there at 6

to realise how wildly unpredictable it is
I agree this years draft is doing my head in.lol
Just have that memory planted of a few weeks ago of FOS and Jagga coming out of the middle for Oakleigh Richmond.Think its worth it.

Again, his agility and acceleration Smokin.

But he does keep producing, just doesn't have the class and tricks of FoS and Jagga (and Draper) when up in grade at VFL level. We saw that in their appearances.

Reckon slots perfectly in that 6-10 slot. Just not the very top echelon.
Combine testing will tell us a lot. But as you say he keeps on finding the pill but more importantly consistently hits the scoreboard. You cant underestimate the value in that as a mid. Speed or no speed.

I also wouldnt judge him on that 1 VFL game.

He is producing better numbers than Lalor who all have in the top 5.

Reactions: 3 users
He is a long way from a Cripps type. Have commented for a while he plays a little man's game in a big man's body.

Really nice kick, receives well, reasonably clean and gets in chains around a stoppage (but not after that).

But just doesn't have that aggression at the football, use his strength and size, nor have the explosiveness like the best contested beasts do.
true he is more cerebral than aggressive attacking the footy, but he continually uses his size and strength well to dominate around stoppage. And does so against big opponents like Langford too. I reckon this side of his game translates really well to AFL. For me the transition running is the big query he will have to overcome

Combine testing will tell us a lot. But as you say he keeps on finding the pill but more importantly consistently hits the scoreboard. You cant underestimate the value in that as a mid. Speed or no speed.

I also wouldnt judge him on that 1 VFL game.

He is producing better numbers than Lalor who all have in the top 5.

yes.

objectively Langford > Lalor.

I still want Lalor more, but can't really justify it.

there's definitely going to be a a fair few Cam Mackenzies/FinnO'Callahans this year: understated sort of blokes who just get it done.

Probably Langford, Lindsay, Tom Gross,

I think Langford is very much that, and most years is a Top 3 lock.

Reactions: 1 users
Our recruiters will be working overtime this year, the busiest they will have been for at least ten years!

He is producing better numbers
Don't reckon I've seen PRE ignore or down play actual production more than this draft class.

And not just down play, talk down actual production. Those that have produced have had more holes poked in their games than those that haven't.

Reactions: 8 users
Don't reckon I've seen PRE ignore or down play actual production more than this draft class.

And not just down play, talk down actual production. Those that have produced have had more holes poked in their games than those that haven't.

agree.

its a kind of FOMO Ghost of Richard Tambling I reckon.

I get it

West coast wont trade 3?
Any reasons? New coach would be one.

On the trade side
- need everything. So multiple picks help
- getting Trainor helps cover the loss of Barass. Should be available later 5-12
- best west aussie mid Bo Allen should be available 10-15
- key forward / back can be selected 10-20
- chief recruiter is known to trade back. And he can point to RFC's current hand as the best way

In essence they can pick the best WA mid to counter go-home factor and get a key back.
By trading away 3 on someone they werent going to choose anyway.
Matuhew clarke as list manager? They trade.

In my no idea opinion

In my view they need best available. They already did that strategy 2 years ago and got Ginbey and Hewett (the pick they gave up got North Sheezel). They need top 5 picks like we do.

North however, need to be trading back, they don't need mids. they need talls. West Coast need mids, and they need them soon.

Reactions: 2 users