2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I see your point, but disagree.

Clubs go best available first round.

and given his large, consistent, prolific body of work,

I think jagga would be at the top of the 'best' list for most clubs.
Totally possible. I'm finding it hard not to pick him 1

Reactions: 1 user
What was pleasing about The Jaguar's performance on the weekend was some line breaking run and some running receives on the outside. More 'go forward' to his game on Saturday. His leg speed whilst not uber quick, looked ok never the less.

Probably deserves to be the broadly expected number 1 at this stage.

Reactions: 5 users
Like Jagga as our 2nd pick, not depressed if goes with our first. Noticed for his 33 possessions on weekend, he had 5 inside 50’s. FOS for his 19 or so possessions had 4. We need line breakers badly now Shai on the move

Reactions: 1 users
Like Jagga as our 2nd pick, not depressed if goes with our first. Noticed for his 33 possessions on weekend, he had 5 inside 50’s. FOS for his 19 or so possessions had 4. We need line breakers badly now Shai on the move
We need to be careful in this draft that we don't over load on inside mids and "chuggers". We need some pace and agility going through the midfield a la Shedda, Shai etc. That's why I'm keen on Berry, Draper or whoever it's gonna be - to add some desperately needed spread from stoppages and speed around the ground.

Reactions: 10 users

I have days where I get compelled by FOS, Lalor and Draper,

but its emotion; its based on what might be.

jagga is science; him and Ashcroft's applications for the No.1 are quite clearly a notch above the other 3-4.

Ive said like a stuck record,

Jagga may not turn out retrospective No.1 in five years, the others might come on, reach their projected ceiling, and overtake him.

But he will be blue chip Top 5

and I dont think we are at the stage where we can take the risk.

I reckon if it was 2027, and we had a great young midfield assembled, I'd be wanting FOS or Lalor.

Reactions: 7 users
I have days where I get compelled by FOS, Lalor and Draper,

but its emotion; its based on what might be.

jagga is science; him and Ashcroft's applications for the No.1 are quite clearly a notch above the other 3-4.

Ive said like a stuck record,

Jagga may not turn out retrospective No.1 in five years, the others might come on, reach their projected ceiling, and overtake him.

But he will be blue chip Top 5

and I dont think we are at the stage where we can take the risk.

I reckon if it was 2027, and we had a great young midfield assembled, I'd be wanting FOS or Lalor.
Some used the same logic to argue for Chris Masten over Trent Cotchin.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Some used the same logic to argue for Chris Masten over Trent Cotchin.

haha,

you got to admit though,

objectively, on exposed form, Jagga is a standout?

basically 3 years running of being the best amongst his peers at every level hes eligible to play

he's prolific, consistent, durable, and the best player on the ground most weeks, at all levels.

non-damaging BOG is an oxymoron. the damage is in getting the ball in your teams hands and heading towards your goals, 35 times every week. He will do that, and clear it from stoppage 8 times+ a week, for 15 years.

there's kind of no downside (other than FOS or Lalor pairing with Harley Reid and winning 4 premierships with WC :cool: )

Yes FOS and Lalor do look great, but there's durability and consistency question marks?

(note, Lalor looks significantly finer in his latest clip, like hes springing and reaching full fitness. interesting watch)

I'm of the school that No.1 should be devoid of question marks.

(note Josh Smilie has more question marks, posed by impartial parties in the public sphere, than a university Philosophy course)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I heard a very disturbing rumour this evening regarding Toce.
Apparently seriously ill and bedridden. Not sure he’ll have much input into the trade period.
Confirming my sources and will revert
That would be the ultimate Richmond blunder. In the most important draft of 25 years for the club have the bloke in charge unable to participate.

• Haha
haha,

you got to admit though,

objectively, on exposed form, Jagga is a standout?

basically 3 years running of being the best amongst his peers at every level hes eligible to play

he's prolific, consistent, durable, and the best player on the ground most weeks, at all levels.

non-damaging BOG is an oxymoron. the damage is in getting the ball in your teams hands and heading towards your goals, 35 times every week.

Yes FOS and Lalor do look great, but there's durability and consistency question marks?

(note, Lalor looks significantly finer in his latest clip, like hes springing and reaching full fitness. interesting watch)

I'm of the school that No.1 should be devoid of question marks.
He's had the best season this year. He didn't last year, or the year before. FOS was under-16 national MVP and AA captain. And FOS, Ashcroft and Draper were the only bottom-agers to be AA last year.

He's had the best season this year. He didn't last year, or the year before. FOS was under-16 national MVP and AA captain. And FOS, Ashcroft and Draper were the only bottom-agers to be AA last year.

jagga was rover in that 2022 AA u16 side, had a ripping bottom age u18 champs, and Captain of the 24 AA side,

while FOS and Lalor and Smilie didn't make u18 AA

thats my point.

every top 5 player, other than Jagga and Ashcroft, has had a less-than-scintillating year or carnival in the last 3

Ashcroft and Jagga bring the A game every week and every year.

What if we take FOS at 1, and he's a HFF'er with hands like a hummingbird?

what if we take Lalor at 1, and he's a HFF'er who eats pies all summer?

unlikely, yes.

but there are no question marks on Jagga - he will line up on ball R1, and stay there for 15 years, getting clearance after clearance.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence on FOS and Jagga. Rapt to get either. If they make it, I see Jagga as a Simon Black who will anchor the side. I see FOS as a Cotchy, enough said, but his junior form is not at the uber dominance of Cotchy. I think its highly likely they both make it, but Smith is more likely based on exposed form. I'd prefer Cotchy over Black, but would be rapt with either.

I'm on the fence on FOS and Jagga. Rapt to get either.

same, lalor too.

but 2 have shown glimpses in their draft year, and 1 has shown a Martin Scorsese epic.

you have to use separators,

and for me, thats a pretty emphatic separator.

but having said that,

if tigers call out FOS or Lalor at 1, I'll get over the surprise in 10 seconds and fist pump and jump around on the couch and get told off by MrsEZ for spilling her drink.

whereas if we called out Smilie, Id take a sleeping pill and go to bed

• Haha
Assuming we dont have 4 of the top 6, which is what I'm targeting, and assuming we dont pick him #1 (for purposes to demonstrate his slideability)
1 FOS
North Smillie
WC Langford / Trainor / Draper
Crows Draper / Reid
melb Lalor / Armstrong

Slide!!! I'm not saying ifs definite but its in the wide wide realms of possible
I’m with you mate. I reckon Jagga slides and is gettable around the 5/6 mark

• Wow
One thing that is in Lalors favour is that he's only turning 18 years old in a couple of days, and he's outmarking players much taller than him.

With the departure of Shai, we need goal kicking mids.

Must get.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah i'm thinking the same.
Big chance Jaggs is the slider. Which sounds crazy with his exposed form.
Similar story was Jack Higgins

Agree

Jagga is sliding

Recon he is 50/50 on being available for the GC Rioli Pick 6

Exposed form, especially against good opposition is still the best indicator of future success when it comes to draftees.

Plenty cast doubts on Smith because he’s top age and not burdened by schooling. Both of those points can easily be seen as positives. There are no guarantees that others younger than Smith will bridge the development gap as they age up. On the other point, it shows how dedicated he is to his chosen profession and how much of a self starter he is. Plenty of highly talented individuals struggle with the demands of professional sport and cannot commit to the required levels despite being paid to do so.

Smith probably won’t turn out to be the best player from his draft (pick 1’s rarely are) but on what we’ve seen so far, he is as close to a sure bet as you’ll ever get in the draft and that should not be dismissed lightly.
Not a number one pick , but there's another Smith of recent years, who was also lauded as an uber professional, super fit, mega dedicated youngster who was simply gunna become a mega star. Few years later, he's had some issues over a sniff, reports of an assault incident, mental health issues,
nudged from midfield / wing to HFF. Hardly been near his current club all year while rehabbing his knee and rampant speculation all year that he's out the door to another club.
Even young Higlet had simply one life ambition, well perhaps two. Become an AFL player, then play for St Kiddenme. Not the most socially / life balanced upbringing n a bit different n exuberant in his early days, issues around the covid camp in QLD and somewhat unpopular with his former team mates compared to Geezer.
Only my random thoughts, as from all Jag has shown and done he's fully worthy of being in that range of 1 to 5 at this years draft. Just feel that perhaps he'll reach a ceiling n then flat line as a very good n consistent player for his career at AFL level without quite reaching those owning n breaking games peaks.

But why not hit this year hard.
Trade down to the front half. 3 mids.
Talls in the back end, similar to 17.
We'll take 2 and hope we get one like Noah.

In 2025 we'll have 1 and 19 to slot into any gaps
That's still only 5 picks in a supposed deep draft. Once we get done with all our speculated trades n stuff we could have around a dozen top 40 picks to shuffle n play around with. Looks like we'll have a fat hand to play with in this years top 25 picks and still enough to get a little future creative to bulk up our 2 early picks in next years draft.

but, yes, its quite possible im wrong and clubs have him at 5.
From a far i would doubt any club has him at 5, everyone might have him at 2, but
one might prefer FOS.
one might prefer Smillie
one might prefer Draper
and one might prefer Lalor/Langford/Trainor/etc.

It looks like that could be true for any of the top 4 or 5 this year.
stating the obvious, but a 2nd pick in the top 4 to get 2 of Smith, FOS, Draper or Lalor/Smillie would be pretty nice.

Reactions: 5 users