2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

It's gotta be about needs.

So, who's in our starting midfield after the exodus?

Taranto. (Inefficient)
Hopper. (Slow)
Prestia. (Fragile)
Daylight.
MacAuliffe? (Unproven)
The Sonz? (Meh)
Dow? (One-trick pony)
MRJ? (Fitness/tank?)

We simply can't afford to use early draft picks on HFF/HBF types that we think we can turn into mids. With Graham, Baker, Rioli and Bolton out the door we literally cannot cover speculative picks if they don't work out.

We MUST take absolute blue chip mids with unquestioned BWA and high durability. Pick 1 must be a zero risk option, and that's Smith.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Don't disagree at all, its more just a vibe, class and wow factor. I do think FOS could be a generational talent, but as you say, could "just" be a McLuggage. Its all just impressions really. I love them both, both will be very good players, and both could be generational.

Reactions: 1 user
Getting FOS and Lalor would absolutely set us up for a decade

2 match winning MID/FWDS
Your discounting of Smith is wrong-headed, but also very interesting. Smith would also set us up for a decade, but is a different type of player. Gamebreaker V effective achiever, its a footy debate I've always found fascinating, and of course there is no definitive answer. I'll continue the Simon Black analogy. The 2003 GF, Black won the NS over Aker who kicked 5 in a power display. There was a lot of debate at the time that continues to this day, run all day, rack up the possessions and effective use, V dynamic forward play. I don't have an answer, they both deserved the NS, and both won a Brownlow (as a side issue, Black won the Brownlow Aker should have won and Aker won one that somone else should have won, but thats another story)

For where we're at, do we need a Simon Black or an Akermanis? A good side needs both, but who do we need more now?

I'm just throwing this out there, of course no 2 players are alike and there's no guarantees. But I think the discounting of Smith by some is based on a false premise.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry about it spoof. Remember, we are now officially in the MPP - Magic Pudding Period - where people all over the country speculate over literally tens of thousands of player trades, pick trades, and club draftee selections, and cook up scenarios that, 99% of the time do not eventuate.

Save on wasted mental energy and just wait until the trade period is done in 6 weeks or so. :ROFLMAO:
Spoof :LOL:

Welcome back to 80's Electric Blue movies

Your discounting of Smith is wrong-headed, but also very interesting. Smith would also set us up for a decade, but is a different type of player. Gamebreaker V effective achiever, its a footy debate I've always found fascinating, and of course there is no definitive answer. I'll continue the Simon Black analogy. The 2003 GF, Black won the NS over Aker who kicked 5 in a power display. There was a lot of debate at the time that continues to this day, run all day, rack up the possessions and effective use, V dynamic forward play. I don't have an answer, they both deserved the NS, and both won a Brownlow (as a side issue, Black won the Brownlow Aker should have won and Aker won one that somone else should have won, but thats another story)

For where we're at, do we need a Simon Black or an Akermanis? A good side needs both, but who do we need more now?

I'm just throwing this out there, of course no 2 players are alike and there's no guarantees. But I think the discounting of Smith by some is based on a false premise.

jagga = black

joeBerry = Aker

Lalor could approximate Voss.

Ive found it hard to get a read on FOS all year. I know hes classy, but I struggle to understand what he represents?

thats a knock on me rather than him BTW.

the vaunted Brisbane Midfield were all top 10 picks or Academy (earlier incarnation zone selection; aker and voss)

Lappin was 2, Power was 4, Aker and Voss <1.

Except Black (pick 31). He was their Shane Edwards, from a bargain POV.

No Kane Lamberts in the great Lions midfield?

our first rounders will be no brainers - PRE could nail it by consensus.

but as always, it will be our second rounders that'll be the difference between us rebuilding to play finals, or rebuilding to win premierships.

Last edited:

Yea don't agree with the Simon Black stuff either sorry

Big Difference between Simon Black and Jagga

Simon Black is 186cm tall and 81kg Jagga is 180cm and 70kg.

Also Black was an elite kick, there has been no evidence at all of Jagga being an elite kick

Reactions: 2 users

Also Black was an elite kick, there has been no evidence at all of Jagga being an elite kick

you mean Black was 81kg at 18?

or jagga will be stunted forever on 73kg?

further, there is no evidence jagga isn't an elite kick.

I really do get why people want someone other than Jagga at 1.

but the barrel scraping knocks I dont get. hes dispelled em all.

Powerful Lalor and FOS, who I love, havn't been able to get fit for a year,

whereas tiny fragile Jagga, can't seem to get himself hurt or get less than 25 kicks?

Jagga got pole driven twice by lalor VM V VC, and he just dusted himself off and went and got another clearance.

he didn't even take a drink or an encouraging word from a trainor.

there's clear evidence, hes as tough as *smile*

the Jagga advocates could compare Jagga to Clinton King,

and you blokes would go 'nah, Clinton King ran a 6.10 2km, Jaggas blowing up at 6.17'

but yeah, Tigers will take him and of course you'll love him

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
We MUST take absolute blue chip mids with unquestioned BWA and high durability. Pick 1 must be a zero risk option, and that's Smith.

yes. best available and needs.

it appears a no brainer because it is.

Tigers will take jagga at 1,

and then go to work getting all these other young stars

You don't have to agree, but its a valid comparison. Most importantly, both rack up the possies, make good decisions and get the ball to a team mate, and their side usually wins. Black wasn't a long kick. Both good kicks, not long kicks. Black was slow, Smith isn't.

Preferring other players over Smith is fine, saying he's an ineffective crab is ludicrous. Absolutely k'n ludicrous.

You don't have to agree, but its a valid comparison. Black wasn't a long kick. Both good kicks, not long kicks. Black was slow, Smith isn't.

Preferring other players over Smith is fine, saying he's an ineffective crab is ludicrous. Absolutely k'n ludicrous.
Who called him an ineffective crab?

You are getting emotional

wish we could skip September and go straight to November

Reactions: 9 users
Who called him an ineffective crab?

You are getting emotional
Don't make me bring up the Clinton King with no hurt factor (which is a tautology BTW and says a bit) who can't kick again.

When a player works as hard a Smith does and puts together such an excellent and compelling junior career, and people dismiss it, it does irritate me I admit. Its disrespectful.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Taranto. (Inefficient)
Hopper. (Slow)
Prestia. (Fragile)
Daylight.
MacAuliffe? (Unproven)
The Sonz? (Meh)
Dow? (One-trick pony)
MRJ? (Fitness/tank?)

We simply can't afford to use early draft picks on HFF/HBF types that we think we can turn into mids. With Graham, Baker, Rioli and Bolton out the door we literally cannot cover speculative picks if they don't work out.

We have needs everywhere, simply need best available

Taranto. (Inefficient)
Hopper. (Slow)
Prestia. (Fragile)
Daylight.
MacAuliffe? (Unproven)
The Sonz? (Meh)
Dow? (One-trick pony)
MRJ? (Fitness/tank?)

I know he's a SA, but Draper fits the bill - Draper and Lalor would be a dream combo I reckon.

Reactions: 3 users
Getting FOS and Lalor would absolutely set us up for a decade

2 match winning MID/FWDS
That would be my preferred combination as well. Not that I have anything against Smith if we could get him as well it would be brilliant but highly unlikely. However Reid or Lindsay could be real chances and whilst not as good as Smith they aren’t a mile behind and those three would give us a great mix going forward. Top that off with Berry and a couple of forwards and we have done extremely well. I see Baker is definitely going to WA now according to Cleary so more picks definitely incoming.

Reactions: 3 users
I can see the arguments for both Jagga and FOS and would be happy with either as they both fill a need. BUT I will be really disappointed if Lalor isn’t in a Richmond jumper next season.

I have seen little of these kids but from what I have seen Lalor just screams game breaker to me. He has an X factor that you just can’t ignore.

I don’t care how we do it, just get it done

Reactions: 8 users
I can see the arguments for both Jagga and FOS and would be happy with either as they both fill a need. BUT I will be really disappointed if Lalor isn’t in a Richmond jumper next season.

I have seen little of these kids but from what I have seen Lalor just screams game breaker to me. He has an X factor that you just can’t ignore.

I don’t care how we do it, just get it done
Could not agree more

Afaic he is in the mix for pick 1 calculations

wish we could skip September and go straight to November
Yes. Just hand the cup to Sydney and get on with trade week now

Until we know exactly what picks we have it is just like circle work at Thursday night training