2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

It might depend on if we have other picks in the top 5.

If we go back to the Franklin draft, from all reports, Hawks didn't have Roughhead higher than Franklin on their board, but believed that we wouldn't take him, but we would take Roughead. They were right, we were wrong.

Could be the same scenario here.

Would North take FOS with 2 - yeah I can see that, would they take Jagga - not sure they would bearing in mind how many mids they have and his perceived lack of positional flexibility.

Would WCE take Jagga - again not really sure if they would. I think they want to build a bigger midfield, so reckon they'd have FOS and possibly Lalor ahead of him./

Would Adelaide take him - maybe if Draper wasn't there.

So it could come down to what other picks we have, and who we think other clubs might take. Jagga could go at 1, or could slide to 4-6 IMO. Not sure FOS goes past 3.
Yeah i'm thinking the same.
Big chance Jaggs is the slider. Which sounds crazy with his exposed form.
Similar story was Jack Higgins

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
so a realistic

in this latest order could yield us

pick of Jagga/Fos at 1
lalor at 6
Allen at 9
langford at 10 (with Lalor and Allen in the bag, you could pass on Langford and go for agility like Hotton?)
Travaglia at 14
Joe Berry at 17
our pick of Whitlock/hynes/sims at 20

FOS (Jagga), Lalor, Allen, Langford, joeBerry, Sims

would be one hell of a haul

(I'd be pulling the trigger on joeBerry at 9 or 10)

with all that power inside (lalor, Allen, langford), I'd add Jagga to the mix over FOS.

it seems most likely we will need to make a call between Jagga and FOS at 1 and forego the other
Surely we will be using some of our assets to get into next years draft? Can’t see us investing everything in this draft - unless it is that good? Smarter people than me would know the answer to that.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd be happy to get Jagga outside of pick one, but have Draper, FOS, Langford and Lalor in front of him.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd be happy to get Jagga outside of pick one, but have Draper, FOS, Langford and Lalor in front of him.
Yep.
Jag is almost a full year older than that Ashcroft kid and months ahead of the other potential top 5. He's had the year out of the usual school set up to concentrate on maximising his footy which puts him ahead of the other kids again. Lean and wiry accumulate n distribute type player n almost like a metronome in the way he steadily works n plays his game. But does he have a thundering drum solo to his game where he just blows everyone away?

The most important art to drafting the kids is finding the one that's good now but gunna b excellent in 3 years time. I've got absolutely no idea when it comes to watching n rating the juniors, coz I don't actually watch them. So I'm simply thinking out loud n I'm a tad worried that Jag's game will be worked out reasonably easily at AFL level and he's more than likely to become perhaps a very good core player, honest and reliable as any club could want. But at pick 1 or any of the first 3 picks, clubs are looking and hoping for a Bont or Dusty or Harley type of player that has that capacity to grab a game by the scruff of the neck n shake the *smile* out of it.

Reactions: 6 users

peeps are in for a bit of a shock when they see

our Jaggy in the guts R1.

He'll be an instant Sheezel/Daicos-type sensation

* not a criticism SOJ, I get it. its a tight race at the top and we want em all

Reactions: 4 users
I heard a very disturbing rumour this evening regarding Toce.
Apparently seriously ill and bedridden. Not sure he’ll have much input into the trade period.
Confirming my sources and will revert
He wasn’t at Sandy v Oakleigh on Saturday. Ry Gieschen was the only Tiger person I saw there.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Surely we will be using some of our assets to get into next years draft? Can’t see us investing everything in this draft - unless it is that good? Smarter people than me would know the answer to that.

if we have 8 first rounders, you think we'd have to kick 2-3 into 2025?

5 this year, 4 next year?

I suppose it depend on Toce and Blairs assessment of the relative quality of the pools?

I have almost zero idea of the 2025 crop; The only kid I know is Uwlands GCS, whose early projected top 10, and he's an overrated HBF'er.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep.
Jag is almost a full year older than that Ashcroft kid and months ahead of the other potential top 5. He's had the year out of the usual school set up to concentrate on maximising his footy which puts him ahead of the other kids again. Lean and wiry accumulate n distribute type player n almost like a metronome in the way he steadily works n plays his game. But does he have a thundering drum solo to his game where he just blows everyone away?

The most important art to drafting the kids is finding the one that's good now but gunna b excellent in 3 years time. I've got absolutely no idea when it comes to watching n rating the juniors, coz I don't actually watch them. So I'm simply thinking out loud n I'm a tad worried that Jag's game will be worked out reasonably easily at AFL level and he's more than likely to become perhaps a very good core player, honest and reliable as any club could want. But at pick 1 or any of the first 3 picks, clubs are looking and hoping for a Bont or Dusty or Harley type of player that has that capacity to grab a game by the scruff of the neck n shake the *smile* out of it.
Exposed form, especially against good opposition is still the best indicator of future success when it comes to draftees.

Plenty cast doubts on Smith because he’s top age and not burdened by schooling. Both of those points can easily be seen as positives. There are no guarantees that others younger than Smith will bridge the development gap as they age up. On the other point, it shows how dedicated he is to his chosen profession and how much of a self starter he is. Plenty of highly talented individuals struggle with the demands of professional sport and cannot commit to the required levels despite being paid to do so.

Smith probably won’t turn out to be the best player from his draft (pick 1’s rarely are) but on what we’ve seen so far, he is as close to a sure bet as you’ll ever get in the draft and that should not be dismissed lightly.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how Cooper Hynes has been performing in the last few weeks.Could be handy as a later pick.

about as big as dane zorko's moral compass I'd say
Assuming we dont have 4 of the top 6, which is what I'm targeting, and assuming we dont pick him #1 (for purposes to demonstrate his slideability)
1 FOS
North Smillie
WC Langford / Trainor / Draper
Crows Draper / Reid
melb Lalor / Armstrong

Slide!!! I'm not saying ifs definite but its in the wide wide realms of possible

Smith probably won’t turn out to be the best player from his draft (pick 1’s rarely are) but on what we’ve seen so far, he is as close to a sure bet as you’ll ever get in the draft and that should not be dismissed lightly.
I'm a lot more comfortable going for Smith at #1 if we have another pick inside 4, even at #6 it possibly makes it more difficult to find an x factor/match winner type within that range to get FOS & or Lalor IMO.

if we have 8 first rounders, you think we'd have to kick 2-3 into 2025?

5 this year, 4 next year?

I suppose it depend on Toce and Blairs assessment of the relative quality of the pools?

I have almost zero idea of the 2025 crop; The only kid I know is Uwlands GCS, whose early projected top 10, and he's an overrated HBF'er.
But why not hit this year hard.
Trade down to the front half. 3 mids.
Talls in the back end, similar to 17.
We'll take 2 and hope we get one like Noah.

In 2025 we'll have 1 and 19 to slot into any gaps

Reactions: 4 users
Assuming we dont have 4 of the top 6, which is what I'm targeting, and assuming we dont pick him #1 (for purposes to demonstrate his slideability)
1 FOS
North Smillie
WC Langford / Trainor / Draper
Crows Draper / Reid
melb Lalor / Armstrong

Slide!!! I'm not saying ifs definite but its in the wide wide realms of possible

I see your point, but disagree.

Clubs go best available first round.

and given his large, consistent, prolific body of work,

I think jagga would be at the top of the 'best' list for most clubs.

but, yes, its quite possible im wrong and clubs have him at 5.

I'm a lot more comfortable going for Smith at #1 if we have another pick inside 4, even at #6 it possibly makes it more difficult to find an x factor/match winner type within that range to get FOS & or Lalor IMO.
We need to shake WC and Dees for their picks. Both could swap for 2 later first rounders.

In an unreal world we can get 4 in the top 6