2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

So with Jagga we get endurance and party tricks ,so all we have to do is recruit some clowns, who can juggle for a couple of hours .
Seriously l have seen player's who have 10 disposals do as much damage as Jagga ,if we draft his type we will need another 5 first rounders in a few years to undo the damage .

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
So with Jagga we get endurance and party tricks ,so all we have to do is recruit some clowns, who can juggle for a couple of hours .
Seriously l have seen player's who have 10 disposals do as much damage as Jagga ,if we draft his type we will need another 5 first rounders in a few years to undo the damage .
I really like your analysis for the most part Benga, but you've lost the plot on Jagga. He's not your favourite and you prefer Lalor, no worries at all on that, but your criticism is way OTT.

so your suggesting that the u18 AA captaincy was a howler?

clearly I think your wrong, but I do love you sticking your neck out

ive done the same on Smilie.

Reactions: 1 user
1 min mark of the latest clip leysy posted.

he marks and kicks from 49m, and it clears the ruckman at full stretch on the goal line.

without a GPS ball and an independent scientific panel of experts,

you can't get much more definitive that he can kick it straight over 50m?
The kicking criticism was dispelled for me in the VM V VC game. Was peeling off long low accurate passes. He's not Dusty, or Farrell, but he's well and truly good enough.

I really like your analysis for the most part Benga, but you've lost the plot on Jagga. He's not your favourite and you prefer Lalor, no worries at all on that, but your criticism is way OTT.
Mate we are talking about the AFL ,not some fast flowing Coates football,,,

VFL in an inch of rain and 50 knots wind?

30 disposals and 9 clearances?

you are a bit blinded I reckon
Im not blinded ,l think a few on here are though ,,we want hard Premiership types ,not bubble blowers who won't know what hit them once they get to the AFL

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Im not blinded ,l think a few on here are though ,,we want hard Premiership types ,not bubble blowers who won't know what hit them once they get to the AFL

so how do explain the 30 disposals and 9 clearance BOG, against men, on debut, in a freezing howling gale, on a quagmire?

titanium supercharged twin 4 barrel Holley carby heavy duty oversized bubble blower?

he has quite systematically dispelled the knocks this year.

outside? he got 70% CP

doesn't do damage? got a heap of SI's

can't kick over a jam jar? stick it over the umps head from 50

skinny and delicate? knocked up getting clearances in the mud against blokes

Now I do get the FOMO on FOS and Lalor and Draper, like I said.

But objectively, Jagga simply could not have done any more, over three years, to justify his credentials as a clear No.1 pick.

I'll say it again, for clarity;

1. There is a real risk that he isn't the best player in the pool, and

2. The is almost no risk that he wont be an outstanding player for a long time, that everyone would take Top 5 in any retrospective.

for where we are at,

he is clearly our man.

Last edited:
so how do explain the 30 disposals and 9 clearance BOG, against men, on debut, in a freezing howling gale, on a quagmire?

titanium supercharged twin 4 barrel Holley carby heavy duty oversized bubble blower?

he has quite systematically dispelled the knocks this year.

outside? he got 70% CP

doesn't do damage? got a heap of SI's

can't kick over a jam jar? stick it over the umps head from 50

skinny and delicate? knocked up getting clearances in the mud against blokes

Now I do get the FOMO on FOS and Lalor and Draper, like I said.

But objectively, Jagga simply could not have done any more, over three years, to justify his credentials as a clear No.1 pick.

I'll say it again, for clarity;

1. There is a real risk that he isn't the best player in the pool, and

2. The is almost no risk that he wont be an outstanding player for a long time, that everyone would take Top 5 in any retrospective.

for where we are at,

he is clearly our man.
And like l said ,l have seen player's have 10 disposals and do as much damage .
Most of his disposals are short little dinky ones,,that sort of player doesn't suit us ,we need player's who are good kicks,good marks,good at defense,main thing we need goal kickers ,and mids who can stick a tackle.
He's not a physical player .

Reactions: 1 users
You all put up great arguments.
I’m not really fussed who we pick first.
Smith/FOS/Draper or Lalor.
It’s the next player/combination of the two that should be our focus.
Need the two to complement each other. Ideally Smith & Lalor or Smith & FOS or Draper and Lalor or FOS and Smith.
I’m sure there’s more computations but you get the drift

Reactions: 3 users
And like l said ,l have seen player's have 10 disposals and do as much damage .
Most of his disposals are short little dinky ones,,that sort of player doesn't suit us ,we need player's who are good kicks,good marks,good at defense,main thing we need goal kickers ,and mids who can stick a tackle.
He's not a physical player .

Im the last bloke who places weight on posssession counts

But im really big on clearances, evasion, and creative ball use.

Which is why i love Jagga.

I think we need em all and i reckon given what we already have (tarranto/hopper/ross) and will have for 5 years,

Jagga is No.1 on needs as well as Best Available

But i get your POV and acknowledge Sam Lalor and FOS may end up objectively better

But i reckon Jagga could realistically be a five time AA, five time B&F, brownlow medalist.

And so could the other top 20

Jagga is my third favourite player in this draft in the same way Linda Evangalista was my third favourite supermodel.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
I remember the 2017 draft been talked about as very even in the top 5 with some genuine stars , bit like this one , Intresting looking back at that top 10 that year …

You all put up great arguments.
I’m not really fussed who we pick first.
Smith/FOS/Draper or Lalor.
It’s the next player/combination of the two that should be our focus.
Need the two to complement each other. Ideally Smith & Lalor or Smith & FOS or Draper and Lalor or FOS and Smith.
I’m sure there’s more computations but you get the drift
What we need are goal kickers ,we get the ball inside 50 enough,it's our finishing and lack of marking power that''s hurting us.
We have won inside 50 in many games this year,but no wins for it.

What we need are goal kickers ,we get the ball inside 50 enough,it's our finishing and lack of marking power that''s hurting us.
We have won inside 50 in many games this year,but no wins for it.
We win a few clearances but our disposal is woefull and we can’t hit targets. No forward will mark our forward entries and inability to create space.
Saying that I’ve said on here many times before that we should definitely be drafting the best tall available but not sure who that is and don’t think they’ll be in the top ten anyway.
I’m leaning to Jack Whitlock myself due to his height and exceptional athleticism.
And I’d be rooking Archie May

Reactions: 1 users
Jagga is my third favourite player in this draft in the same way Linda Evangalista was my third favourite supermodel.

Campbell, Crawford, Turlington, Schiffer, Bundchen. Evo very competitive, but not in the top 10 for me.

I think the mooted top nonchalent; FOS, Smith, Draper and Lalor too, are all guns. Happy with any of them and glad its not me making the call. My concerns are Smilie, Reid and Langford who are a bit overrated, a poor kick under pressure and slow respectively. All 3 are worthy 2nd tier and top 10 in a strong draft, but second tier nonetheless.

One thing that has me warming to Jagga at pick 1 is I know he is smallish for a midfielder, which has always had me worried as well (for pick 1 anyway)...but he seems to be the rangy/sinewy type who seems like he will not get injured as much as you think.

By this I mean we had a similar kid all through junior's that was smallish as well, but as hard as a cats head.

He always got a lot of the ball and got smashed each game...but never seemed to get any long term injuries (only winded/head knock etc), but was always available each week compared to some of the bigger boys who seemed injured all the time.

I think with Jagga he will definitely get bashed around a lot here and there no doubt...but seems like he will bounce up pretty well (to me anyway) and will just keep on keeping on...a bit like Michael Tuck who never seemed to get any long term injuries.

I still really like Draper for number 1 but get the potential go home factor, but are warming to Jagga (and FOS and Lalor and... :LOL:)

Farkkkk...its all to hard !!

Last edited:
No idea who goes 1 but Lalor to me has the most X factor.Oozes Dusty & De Goey traits.Hope we land him.And I can see Dattoli shooting up the boards too.

Reactions: 4 users
Quite a few score assists as well as 2 goals in that package.