2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

No problem re Shanahan.

Alternatives a plenty...
Faull
Armstrong
Whitlock x2
Simms
Others I am not familiar with

I am looking at a CHF who is mobile and skilled but obviously needs to take contested marks down the line.
The FF spot also needs to be drafted for or traded for...Whitlock and Simms are better suited there.

We will have lots of free cash , so if no one player appeals , then we draft other types and either look next year or trade in.

FWIW...a lead up mobile skilled CHF is a great start.
There are not many W Careys or R Harts around.
Jack Whitlock and Jonty Faull for me ,both are hard workers, can take a mark,and kick goals.
I just wonder whether Blair will even take 1 kp forward,he has a habit of backing in player's on the list,even if they are average .

Armstrong lm not sold on ,doesn't work hard enough off the ball,might be a me me type .
Sims l still maintain is like Peter Wright .
I would also be looking at the players who are in the medium height range ,who can take a mark and kick goals

Reactions: 1 users
I reckon there's every possibility that the best bargains in this draft come from the KPF's. I reckon we could pick up a decent KPF in the 30's or so.

I reckon guys like O'Farrell and Nicholls might present big time value.

Thats a lot of "reckons"....

Reactions: 2 users
I reckon there's every possibility that the best bargains in this draft come from the KPF's. I reckon we could pick up a decent KPF in the 30's or so.

O''Farell is quite good l see he is playing as a forward since coming back from injury,,he should be around the 30 range you would think

Reactions: 1 user
O''Farell is quite good l see he is playing as a forward since coming back from injury,,he should be around the 30 range you would think
I know its only APS, but go and watch him playing CHF for St Kevins. He shows big time intent when contesting for a mark. Good kick as well.

Jack Whitlock and Jonty Faull for me ,both are hard workers, can take a mark,and kick goals.
I just wonder whether Blair will even take 1 kp forward,he has a habit of backing in player's on the list,even if they are average .

Armstrong lm not sold on ,doesn't work hard enough off the ball,might be a me me type .
Sims l still maintain is like Peter Wright .
I would also be looking at the players who are in the medium height range ,who can take a mark and kick goals
Totally forgot about Tauru ,he is showing lot's of promise as a forward,,pity he didn't play there at the champs

Totally forgot about Tauru ,he is showing lot's of promise as a forward,,pity he didn't play there at the champs
Yes. Tauru is also interesting.

The Champs throws so many kids out of position its not funny. That's one thing the Eastern Ranges weren't happy about with Smillie in the Champs. Harding kept throwing him forward so that Reid (who Harding coaches at the Dragons) could get midfield time.

Think that's a pretty fair summary of those guys.

On Shanahan, those goals he's kicked in the VFL have almost all been from uncontested/simple lead up marks and opportunities. Dunno if I've ever seen him take a genuine contested mark under the ball or with heavy physical pressure coming from behind. He's quite classy looking - especially by foot - but I get Sam Weideman vibes with him. His second efforts if he isn't successful first time, also leave a lot to be desired. Not untalented, but if we go for a KPF, think I prefer others.

Like others, agree on Shanahan.

The other thing to take into consideration - 9 of his 11 goals came against Northern Bullants and Coburg. Two of the poorest VFL teams.

Reckon any young Key position player worth his salt could have played those games and had similar output. By as you say getting easy leadups with the ball coming in under little pressure in big wins against poor opposition.

Reactions: 1 users
Like others, agree on Shanahan.

The other thing to take into consideration - 9 of his 11 goals came against Northern Bullants and Coburg. Two of the poorest VFL teams.

Reckon any young Key position player worth his salt could have played those games and had similar output. By as you say getting easy leadups with the ball coming in under little pressure in big wins against poor opposition.
Yeah. Look he's ok. Has talent. No doubt. Just a bit more wary with him than others.

Cat among the pigeons time.

Jagga Smith isn't what we need. At least, not for the price of a #1 draft pick.

I see late-career Marc Murphy. Short kicks, safe choices, notable lack of line-breaking, questionable skills under pressure.

On the flip side, clearly a great work ethic. Second efforts. Hunts the pill.

Others will disagree with this assessment, but my actual question to those who've watched a lot more games and tapes than me is this:

Who among the top ten most-mentioned names is the most damaging player?

Surely it's not Smith?
Your summation of jagga is spot on.
I'm OK with jagga if we have pick 2 and fos is taken,I'm warming and just about convinced that any pick we have after 1 or 2 needs to be Armstrong.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

my take is we arent going to have a pick in the 30s or later.
They'll be consumed in the pick swap with Brisbland or Mold Coast

Reactions: 6 users
Are two Whitlock's better than one? By that I mean, I presume there's a better Whitlock (Jack) out of the two. By taking the brother, does that get more out of the better Whitlock? If ya kinda know what I mean.....o_O

Have to walk away with two key forward options from this draft.

Reactions: 8 users
The one thing that is nagging at me with this thread is, how are we going to sustain this heightened state of arousal until draft day?

• Haha
  • Wow
Are two Whitlock's better than one? By that I mean, I presume there's a better Whitlock (Jack) out of the two. By taking the brother, does that get more out of the better Whitlock? If ya kinda know what I mean.....o_O
Assuming they're both good enough to make it as players. Wouldn't hurt if you could bookend the both, KPF and KPD. Could simplify their transition from country to city n the professional standards required to succeed at AFL level if they got to develop together.

Have to walk away with two key forward options from this draft.
Dunno how we get the range of mids that we want (or that everyone is into on PRE), plus 2 decent KPF's ? That'd be 7 picks inside the top 30 or so.

Maybe. Pretty hard though.

The one thing that is nagging at me with this thread is, how are we going to sustain this heightened state of arousal until draft day?
Group chubbin n circle jerkin. Maintain the rage Tiger fans.

• Wow
So as it stands at the moment 4 list retirees and potentially 4 Premiership players traded out.
Minimum list size is 37, max 44, if I’ve read that correctly.
Currently hold 10 draft picks. Stressful job being a list manager.