2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

From Ralph Malph's latest attack of gastro. Being the non-Richmond-supporting Richmond fan he is he's stiffed us on the Shai and Daniel trades.
Yeah. I posted that idiots rubbish on another thread. Guy is a total moron. Somebody kidnap him for at least the next 3 months.

Reactions: 1 user
Love your enthusiasm Doc. Give me your realistic first 5 picks. Get a feeling it'll have a fair VC quota.
Omit Lombard and Ashcroft.
1 FOS
2 Draper
3 Smith
4 Lalor
5 Langford
6 Reid
7 Berry
8 Shanahan
9 Allen
10 Trainor

Cotch Walsh Neale Dusty Pendleberry Edwards Rochelle Lambert JR Dawson Grimes
Excuse the Tiger bias..hard to think of others.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah. I posted that idiots rubbish on another thread. Guy is a total moron. Somebody kidnap him for at least the next 3 months.
What's the journalistic equivalent of sending him out to fetch a left-handed screwdriver and a can of striped paint?

Cat among the pigeons time.

Jagga Smith isn't what we need. At least, not for the price of a #1 draft pick.

I see late-career Marc Murphy. Short kicks, safe choices, notable lack of line-breaking, questionable skills under pressure.

On the flip side, clearly a great work ethic. Second efforts. Hunts the pill.

Others will disagree with this assessment, but my actual question to those who've watched a lot more games and tapes than me is this:

Who among the top ten most-mentioned names is the most damaging player?

Surely it's not Smith?

Reactions: 5 users

I see late-career Marc Murphy. Short kicks, safe choices, notable lack of line-breaking, questionable skills under pressure.

Others will disagree with this assessment, but my actual question to those who've watched a lot more games and tapes than me is this:

Surely it's not Smith?
It's not. It's Finn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users

Surely it's not Smith?
Yes. Who is the Bont? Who is the Martin? Who is the matchwinner?

Reactions: 1 users

Surely it's not Smith?
No it’s not. Impact per possession has been Jagga’s weak point and Ive been watching him for years. His game v Rebels on Sunday was one of his better games in terms of impact but it doesn’t come natural to attack with fast long kicks.

There's no Dusty, and probably no Bont, although that's who Guy Smillie fans will hope he becomes.

Vontae and Lalor the most damaging.
I don't know if Big Willie Smillie has the hard running, all game long, that Bontosaurus Rex has.

Omit Lombard and Ashcroft.
1 FOS
2 Draper
3 Smith
4 Lalor
5 Langford
6 Reid
7 Berry
8 Shanahan
9 Allen
10 Trainor

Cotch Walsh Neale Dusty Pendleberry Edwards Rochelle Lambert JR Dawson Grimes
Excuse the Tiger bias..hard to think of others.
This highlights how beneficial a 2nd top 5/6 pick would be.
Say get FOS and Reid, because the 10+20 range may not have afl level mids.
In the later range may be Allen, Lindsey, Hotton, Hynes

Reactions: 4 users
Gents,

I work now and again with Matty Dunham who has been on the coaching staff at Bendigo Pioneers for the last 5 years (and was Harley Reids mentor/driver to training for last few years)...and caught up with him yesterday and asked his opinion on some of his kids he hopes get drafted as per below.

It wont be a surprise to most of the heavy draft watchers on here with Toby T and Jobe S discussed a bit...but without going back weeks/months on here (and for a few of us with less knowledge, are the other 2 right in the mix or not in some of your humble opinions ?)

Toby Travaglia - Outside Mid/Wing (Super competitive)
Jobe Shannahan - Key Forward (His favorite to go first and just loves him)
James Barrat - Fwd
Archer Day-Wicks - Mid (Said Tigers have shown interest in him)
I think TT has everything you want from a potential recruit ,strong over head ,good speed ,strong defensive ,BUT he's not a very good kick ,if he can fix that up quite a bit,he could be really good,but apart from that will play AFL.

Shanahan,,lm not the best person to ask about him,his WEAK performance in the academy game is firmly etched in my head ,,interesting though that Caracella is now with us,and he coached him at VFL level ,might have a small input to any decisions .

Barrat ,l liked him as that high forward,he is more a third type than the main man,but l see they they are playing him back a lot more lately,,they threw him to the wolfs in the Country /Metro game ,,he was playing forward most of the year,and they put him back onto Armstrong ,of course he kicked 7 goals .

Day wicks ,l like a lot ,strong over head ,good defensive ,does the hard stuff,is a nice kick,,BUT can be a bit of a me me type,,he may go late first round,but won't go past the second round.

Reactions: 4 users
I think TT has everything you want from a potential recruit ,strong over head ,good speed ,strong defensive ,BUT he's not a very good kick ,if he can fix that up quite a bit,he could be really good,but apart from that will play AFL.

Shanahan,,lm not the best person to ask about him,his WEAK performance in the academy game is firmly etched in my head ,,interesting though that Caracella is now with us,and he coached him at VFL level ,might have a small input to any decisions .

Barrat ,l liked him as that high forward,he is more a third type than the main man,but l see they they are playing him back a lot more lately,,they threw him to the wolfs in the Country /Metro game ,,he was playing forward most of the year,and they put him back onto Armstrong ,of course he kicked 7 goals .

Day wicks ,l like a lot ,strong over head ,good defensive ,does the hard stuff,is a nice kick,,BUT can be a bit of a me me type,,he may go late first round,but won't go past the second round.
Think that's a pretty fair summary of those guys.

On Shanahan, those goals he's kicked in the VFL have almost all been from uncontested/simple lead up marks and opportunities. Dunno if I've ever seen him take a genuine contested mark under the ball or with heavy physical pressure coming from behind. He's quite classy looking - especially by foot - but I get Sam Weideman vibes with him. His second efforts if he isn't successful first time, also leave a lot to be desired. Not untalented, but if we go for a KPF, think I prefer others.

Reactions: 6 users
Think that's a pretty fair summary of those guys.

On Shanahan, those goals he's kicked in the VFL have almost all been from uncontested/simple lead up marks and opportunities. Dunno if I've ever seen him take a genuine contested mark under the ball or with heavy physical pressure coming from behind. He's quite classy looking - especially by foot - but I get Sam Weideman vibes with him. His second efforts if he isn't successful first time, also leave a lot to be desired. Not untalented, but if we go for a KPF, think I prefer others.
Furious agreement on Shanahan. I'm not convinced he is that great an athlete either.

No problem re Shanahan.

Alternatives a plenty...
Faull
Armstrong
Whitlock x2
Simms
Others I am not familiar with

I am looking at a CHF who is mobile and skilled but obviously needs to take contested marks down the line.
The FF spot also needs to be drafted for or traded for...Whitlock and Simms are better suited there.

We will have lots of free cash , so if no one player appeals , then we draft other types and either look next year or trade in.

FWIW...a lead up mobile skilled CHF is a great start.
There are not many W Careys or R Harts around.

Last edited:
Because we’re all board, I’ll throw a name out there.
Josh Rachelle.
Now before everyone starts going on about his head ducking in marking contests, this kid looked the closest thing to Nathan Brown in his first year that I’ve ever seen of a player.
Great by foot and knows where the goals are. We have no one like him.
Fallen out of favour at the Crows and apparently will be dropped for the last game.
Anyway blast away

Last edited: