2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

What these guys have said DA.
I reckon he rushed back a bit to quick earlier in the year,and you could see it in the academy game ,,he started playing School games ,and was injured again ,be it for a short period,and rushed back again to play champs ,being co captain of VC.
I thought he was a little hard done bye in the metro game ,should of got more midfield time,he then played a coates game and was very good ,and then vanished.
Not sure what was going on with him or his school Geelong Grammar ,but a few player's where missing from coates games .

It would be hard recovering from injury and going to school,and then probably pushing yourself quicker than you should,to play rep football.
Im not knocking Jagga for this,but he has had the whole year to train,and recover without school and other distractions .
Lalor hasn't done a proper pre season ,he was playing good level cricket over the summer for the last few years ,except the last one,but missed a lot being injured .
His upside is huge ,and he is still 17 until next week .

That's all fair and reasonable.

His aerobic capacity still has to be a question mark though.

Cos he hasn't been able to put in on the park, and for some athletes it's not just a matter of getting pre-seasons into them. Some guys just have limited ability to build up aerobic endurance, whilst others are genetic freaks. Generally the heavier set guys like Donuts can have issues.

That is what recruiters will weigh up. And they will no doubt have a lot of information to make that calculated decision.

Dont think he's as talented, but will he end up like similarly built players like Dusty, Petracca etc who started with little engines but were able to build it enough to play midfield.

Or will he be more like pick 1 Cam Rayner (6 years in and never had more than 15 possessions a year and finally making his mark as a forward) or Jake Stringer, who would be a start midfielder if got fit enough.

Even De Goey (who leysy originally likened him to) took til season 7 to get build his aerobic capacity enough to play midfield, but the wait was worth it.

He's an interesting one with potentially the highest ceiling and could see some clubs ranking him at 1. But it is a legit ? mark clubs will need comfort on when we're talking the very pointy end of the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
A huge tank is a huge advantage at afl level,it's the area that Geelong couldnt match us back in 2017-2020,its vital if u want to get to contests and have most your abilities at 100%.

Reactions: 1 user
Gents,

I work now and again with Matty Dunham who has been on the coaching staff at Bendigo Pioneers for the last 5 years (and was Harley Reids mentor/driver to training for last few years)...and caught up with him yesterday and asked his opinion on some of his kids he hopes get drafted as per below.

It wont be a surprise to most of the heavy draft watchers on here with Toby T and Jobe S discussed a bit...but without going back weeks/months on here (and for a few of us with less knowledge, are the other 2 right in the mix or not in some of your humble opinions ?)

Toby Travaglia - Outside Mid/Wing (Super competitive)
Jobe Shannahan - Key Forward (His favorite to go first and just loves him)
James Barrat - Fwd
Archer Day-Wicks - Mid (Said Tigers have shown interest in him)

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I'm hoping we are looking at Shanahan too. Whats the knock on him?

Seems to be shooting the lights out at VFL for a 17 year old but still being discussed in that 10-15ish bracket.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly. Like we're in the business of inviting/trying to get kids to play for us just as some sort of ruse ?

BS.

As if you would telegraph your hand and aim to take every kid who has a run for your seconds.

1. You could be eliminating kids by giving them a run,

2. Be accumulating favors off player managers

3. Be short of players, or

4. Be saving match payments.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I'm hoping we are looking at Shanahan too. Whats the knock on him?

Seems to be shooting the lights out at VFL for a 17 year old but still being discussed in that 10-15ish bracket.

10-15 this year isnt a knock,

Its a huge affirmation of talent

As if you would telegraph your hand and aim to take every kid who has a run for your seconds.

1. You could be eliminating kids by giving them a run,

2. Be accumulating favors off player managers

3. Be short of players, or

4. Be saving match payments.
Silly post.

Especially the saving match payments part ...that's just absurd.

dont clubs usually know who is taking who at the top end anyway. thats why twomey is usually bang on with his phantom drafts.

So is FOS still our number one in people's opinions him or either Draper for me ?.
spoof's poll says he is. What the club thinks, who knows. Suspect there is a few that they'd have in mind at number 1 and then others at other selections later on (as Nobets pointed out). Clubs usually don't bolt things down from first pick to last until the last week or so.

Silly post.

Especially the saving match payments part ...that's just absurd.

Sorry, didnt know you were a footy manager for a vfl side.

So you are saying FOS, Jagga and langford are our top 3 ranked players because they played in our VFL side? Does it go in order of who played first?

Why wouldnt we hire a sky writer to paint our board in the clouds?

Hmmmm, im not sure its me whos being silly

But i am sure who will have the last word.

Take it away old son

Are you seriously suggesting that Richmond got young potential draft prospects to play for us the last few weeks in order to save match payments in the VFL ?

I don't think I need to be a footy manager for a VFL side to know that's ridiculous.

So you are saying FOS, Jagga and langford are our top 3 ranked players because they played in our VFL side? Does it go in order of who played first?

Why wouldnt we hire a sky writer to paint our board in the clouds?

Hmmmm, im not sure its me whos being silly

But i am sure who will have the last word.

Take it away old son
You don't get access to everyone, you can't pull in who ever you want.

No club would look at Langford, FOS and Jagga playing at Richmond as a shock of any sort or rearrange their rankings based on that.

And it's definitely not a match payment issue. The VFL is there to serve the AFL, I'm sure Yze, Toce and Hartley gave Morro a strategy of what they wanted to see, what roles they wanted to see them trialed in.

Reactions: 5 users