2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I know it’s said in jest, but why is “fat guts” Lalor not in peak fitness at a very important time of the year?
I realise he’s had injuries earlier this year but surely he’s been working his ass off to get back to peak condition.
If he’s not, then maybe he’s not prepared to put the work in.
Something to consider
Need to bear in mind these guys are vce students or similar ie apprentices and have a full life outside playing football.
Cant expect them to put the time into fitness and training like full time afl players.
No...the point I am making is that these young men dont necessarily have the time or facilities to maintain good fitness, injury rehab, diet , etc etc...and so cannot be expected to be in idea condition at all times, especially if struggling with injury.
For a kid that’s just turned 18 he seems to be able to run out a game of footy okay.
At a guess it’s probably a case of letting him get footy fit and work on his craft and not get too worried about his skin folds. But once in an AFL environment he’ll be fine.
What these guys have said DA.
I reckon he rushed back a bit to quick earlier in the year,and you could see it in the academy game ,,he started playing School games ,and was injured again ,be it for a short period,and rushed back again to play champs ,being co captain of VC.
I thought he was a little hard done bye in the metro game ,should of got more midfield time,he then played a coates game and was very good ,and then vanished.
Not sure what was going on with him or his school Geelong Grammar ,but a few player's where missing from coates games .

It would be hard recovering from injury and going to school,and then probably pushing yourself quicker than you should,to play rep football.
Im not knocking Jagga for this,but he has had the whole year to train,and recover without school and other distractions .
Lalor hasn't done a proper pre season ,he was playing good level cricket over the summer for the last few years ,except the last one,but missed a lot being injured .
His upside is huge ,and he is still 17 until next week .

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I reckon he rushed back a bit to quick earlier in the year,and you could see it in the academy game ,,he started playing School games ,and was injured again ,be it for a short period,and rushed back again to play champs ,being co captain of VC.
I thought he was a little hard done bye in the metro game ,should of got more midfield time,he then played a coates game and was very good ,and then vanished.
Not sure what was going on with him or his school Geelong Grammar ,but a few player's where missing from coates games .

It would be hard recovering from injury and going to school,and then probably pushing yourself quicker than you should,to play rep football.
Im not knocking Jagga for this,but he has had the whole year to train,and recover without school and other distractions .
Lalor hasn't done a proper pre season ,he was playing good level cricket over the summer for the last few years ,except the last one,but missed a lot being injured .
Let’s change the narrative then and stop calling him donut guts.
He’s more like a chocolate eclair.
Fat on the outside but light on the inside

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

I dunno if i really buy this.

And dont get me wrong; i really like Lalor and agree his ceiling is high.

But 17 and 18 yos are as lean and energetic as theyre ever gonna be.

They should be able to play cricket, go to school, play two games of footy,

Then play five sets of tennis under lights,

eat a pizza, 2 hamburgers and $5 worth of chips

Then go to a party with no shirt on

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Complete midfield game, kicking and forward handball much more on show.

I have Draper and Jagger at 1 with FOS and Smillie at 3 & 4.

But nothing is locked.
Not many kids get a 7.27 highlight wheel.Shows how many times he was involved.
Is he worthy of #1?Unsure
He has what we lack in the middle.Agility & Getting the ball.
Kicking can be 50/50 though.Abit like Tatranto.
Leaning towards FOS because of his Cotch like poise.

Reactions: 2 users
Reckon there's another critical thing important to ball movement Posh, which is often overlooked a bit on here ILO.

Is the ability to run. Not so much quickly, but just gut run smartly, contest to contest and to continually provide an option for the ball carrier. It's still an underrated trait.

Look at our dynasty teams, we had decent but not elite kicking skills. But possibly the best ever at always giving the ball carrier an easy to hit, by hand or foot, option.

K-Mac, Bachar, Brando, Short, George, Graham etc etc and the pinup for it - Lablett. Some good kicks, some not - but they could all run all day to the correct spots and in bursts.

Collingwood in 2022 - the same. A number of so-so kicks, but heaps of players that ran harder than their opponents to provide that easy, and generally forward option. Hawthorn the same last week.

Compare that to us ATM. We just don't have players to cover the ground. It means the kicker has to consistently take 45 degree targets to someone with an opponent on his hammer, leaving little room for error. Or has no option and has to dump kick it.

It means you can also out pressure your opponent when you don't have it.
This is what Jagga is elite at.

Reactions: 3 users
Does he ever waste the pill? Almost never, could even be never.

this.

jagga doesn't do the eye-catching, searing 45, 60m kick like Hayden Young.

but he rarely puts a ball to his sides disadvantage.

Absolute Blue Chip, 250 game, future captain.

I dunno if i really buy this.

And dont get me wrong; i really like Lalor and agree his ceiling is high.

But 17 and 18 yos are as lean and energetic as theyre ever gonna be.

They should be able to play cricket, go to school, play two games of footy,

Then play five sets of tennis under lights,

eat a pizza, 2 hamburgers and $5 worth of chips

Then go to a party with no shirt on
Geez if football was only like it was in the 80-90's Ezy

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Not many kids get a 7.27 highlight wheel.Shows how many times he was involved.
Is he worthy of #1?Unsure
He has what we lack in the middle.Agility & Getting the ball.
Kicking can be 50/50 though.Abit like Tatranto.
Leaning towards FOS because of his Cotch like poise.
One of Lalors long kicks are worth 5 of Smiths :LOL:

Reactions: 1 user
Do you see Lalor in the mould of De Goey?
Yeah some things similar,l guess they both can be big impact player's .
Some people say Petracca,or Dusty ,or Stringer with brains ,a mate of mine said a more mobile Stuart Dew :LOL: (tougue in cheek) ,l see more a Bartel,with his excellent defensive side and strong overhead marking ,but he is compared to premiership player's and thats what you want

Yeah some things similar,l guess they both can be big impact player's .
Some people say Petracca,or Dusty ,or Stringer with brains ,a mate of mine said a more mobile Stuart Dew :LOL: (tougue in cheek) ,l see more a Bartel,with his excellent defensive side and strong overhead marking ,but he is compared to premiership player's and thats what you want
Then why isn't he a clear #1?