2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

If Lombard and Ashcroft didnt have that stench of zone/FS, where would they go on the open market?

They have a strong case to be 1 and 2?

Both put together 3 years of consistent, prolific footy at all levels

Id personally take Lombard ahead of Ashcroft because of his speed and agility, but not many would agree with me.

But i reckon theyde be in most top 10's on merit?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Somewhat. De Goofey is a bit quicker, but Donut Guts is a bit gruntier, physical, contested, and a better kick I reckon.
Donut Guts is closer to Trac in draft body type. Must admit, I’m starting to warm to him with our second pick.

Reactions: 1 user
Latest highlights from J.Smith.

Complete midfield game, kicking and forward handball much more on show.

I have Draper and Jagger at 1 with FOS and Smillie at 3 & 4.

But nothing is locked.

Reactions: 2 users
Complete midfield game, kicking and forward handball much more on show.

I have Draper and Jagger at 1 with FOS and Smillie at 3 & 4.

But nothing is locked.
Does he ever waste the pill? Almost never, could even be never.

No they don't, its 2 firsts over a 4 year period. They used 2 in 2021, none in 2022 and none in 2023. If they don't take 1 this year then they are still ok. They would need some approvals from the AFL if they go and get Warner next year though, as they'd then be on none over that 4 year cycle.
it might be a motivation for freo to keep ports pick. say 16-17 but still a first.

Agree. We look at speed and its not all in leg speed, its also in good ball use. If you can move the ball well and control the ball through kicking to marking targets (I'd hazard a guess we are probably ranked dead last for uncontested marks) then that can make you look a lot quicker, even without additional leg speed. Its one reason why I like Ross in our team. Reid looks like the type that might not be quick by foot, but is quick by mind and has the skills to back it up.

Reckon there's another critical thing important to ball movement Posh, which is often overlooked a bit on here ILO.

Is the ability to run. Not so much quickly, but just gut run smartly, contest to contest and to continually provide an option for the ball carrier. It's still an underrated trait.

Look at our dynasty teams, we had decent but not elite kicking skills. But possibly the best ever at always giving the ball carrier an easy to hit, by hand or foot, option.

K-Mac, Bachar, Brando, Short, George, Graham etc etc and the pinup for it - Lablett. Some good kicks, some not - but they could all run all day to the correct spots and in bursts.

Collingwood in 2022 - the same. A number of so-so kicks, but heaps of players that ran harder than their opponents to provide that easy, and generally forward option. Hawthorn the same last week.

Compare that to us ATM. We just don't have players to cover the ground. It means the kicker has to consistently take 45 degree targets to someone with an opponent on his hammer, leaving little room for error. Or has no option and has to dump kick it.

It means you can also out pressure your opponent when you don't have it.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

He has backed that up in his Coates and VFL games. Reckon he anticipates where the balls going at a clearance better than anyone in this class. Maybe only Draper compares. He then uses it quickly and instinctively.

this is the Lachie Neale comparison.
the anticipation. the move before anyone else at the contest.
Unabashed fan

Reckon there's another critical thing important to ball movement Posh, which is often overlooked a bit on here ILO.

Is the ability to run. Not so much quickly, but just gut run smartly, contest to contest and to continually provide an option for the ball carrier. It's still an underrated trait.

Look at our dynasty teams, we had decent but not elite kicking skills. But possibly the best ever at always giving the ball carrier an easy to hit, by hand or foot, option.

K-Mac, Bachar, Brando, Short, George, Graham etc etc and the pinup for it - Lablett. Some good kicks, some not - but they could all run all day to the correct spots and in bursts.

Collingwood in 2022 - the same. A number of so-so kicks, but heaps of players that ran harder than their opponents to provide that easy, and generally forward option. Hawthorn the same last week.

Compare that to us ATM. We just don't have players to cover the ground. It means the kicker has to consistently take 45 degree targets to someone with an opponent on his hammer, leaving little room for error. Or has no option and has to dump kick it.

It means you can also out pressure your opponent when you don't have it.
So much of this is in the head.
Swans for 15 rounds had elite kicking skills.
Because their teammates busted guts to provide options and so its an easy kick.
Now they have zero confidence and sit back, and the game is much harder.

And we obvs have no confidence or desire at the minute (save Booby and The Prince)

Reactions: 3 users
They have a strong case to be 1 and 2?

Both put together 3 years of consistent, prolific footy at all levels

Id personally take Lombard ahead of Ashcroft because of his speed and agility, but not many would agree with me.

But i reckon theyde be in most top 10's on merit?
would have to be top 5 in almost every pub in the land

Reactions: 1 users
Donut Guts is closer to Trac in draft body type. Must admit, I’m starting to warm to him with our second pick.
Would love to get him into a tiger jumper.
But not at #1 without more form.
And I cant see him lasting to our next pick, even 6 is doubtful (ignoring Lombardino and Ashcrafty)