2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Months of my video reviews and readings, leads to this conclusive crop for top 10 (not including father son etc).

Not in specific order.

FOS
SMITH
DRAPER
REID
ARMSTRONG
ALLAN
SMILIE
TRAVAGLIA
LALOR
LANGFORD

Reactions: 6 users
We need to also hope someone makes bombers use pick 8 on kako they are desperate to take him and will pay the pick 8

Reactions: 1 users
West Coast 3 and 23 (3050 points)

V

Freo 9,10 and 17 (3889 points)

Auction!

Do I hear a 2025 first round pick?

if West Coast are in the market for Shai, how about Shai and Bakes for 3 and 23 + 2025 first.

that would seem realistic, even for the naysayers discounting $hai and Bakes? 2 firsts for $hai + 1 2nd for Bakes

that would give us 1, 3, 21, 23, 30 this year

and likely 1, 2, 19 next year.

use No.1 bidding leverage and 23 and some junk to go hard for Brisbane pick 14 this year

1,3,14,21,30 this

1,2,19 + next

4 of the 5 best juniors in the world lining top round 1 2026? we'd be like GC or GWS with culture, history and a heart!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I wouldn’t be against drafting all midfielders if they’re good enough.
Depending on available picks 2 or 3 premium mids early then we desperately need a couple of decent key forwards, there's supposedly a handful available around the pick 15 to 30 mark of this years draft.
Pick a bunch of premium mids and there's only Koshitzme, Liftmykiltup n Bauer to deliver too in a couple of years time n we could well be stuck in deep *smile*.

Reactions: 1 users
All these gun kids were gonna bring in will be on $1m in 2028.

In the meantime, lynchy is back ended and has a couple more years. balta will use alot, gibbo too.

Tarranto and hopper on $750.

But yeah, a few bloke will get overs for a few years.

Said for a long time that *smile* sides should be able to kick 10-20% of TPP down the road 3 years. Save it up to attract free agents
Lynchman got all of next year to go if he lasts that long.
Balta pretty good player, but not sure he's ever gunna be a million plus a year marquee player.
Gibber, still unproven after 2 horror injury years, might get to marquee status, might not.

All the newbie kids will be on start up apprentice money for the first 2 or 3 years depending on their draft round so there's gunna be a hell of a lot of cap space to spread around n pay overs to a heap of mediocre players.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Thats a big call..
Brown was very composed,and had great football nous and was quite good overhead for his height .

well he hasn't kicked 31 goals from 12 games this year

being panicky and dumb and dropping marks?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Depending on available picks 2 or 3 premium mids early then we desperately need a couple of decent key forwards, there's supposedly a handful available around the pick 15 to 30 mark of this years draft.
Pick a bunch of premium mids and there's only Koshitzme, Liftmykiltup n Bauer to deliver too in a couple of years time n we could well be stuck in deep *smile*.
Don’t forget Gray

Do freo have to keep a first rounder and use it? bloke on the radio said they didn’t use their first rounder last year but wasn’t sure if that rule was in place.

That might reduce the compensation that would could get.

No they don't, its 2 firsts over a 4 year period. They used 2 in 2021, none in 2022 and none in 2023. If they don't take 1 this year then they are still ok. They would need some approvals from the AFL if they go and get Warner next year though, as they'd then be on none over that 4 year cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
well he hasn't kicked 31 goals from 12 games this year

being panicky and dumb and dropping marks?
Im talking about at AFL level ,Josh Murphy has kicked 30 from 9 games ,Hynes has kicked 18 playing mainly as a mid ,l could go on and on .
Berry has 27 goals from 12 games ,the way the game is played in the under 18's these days ,Brown would of kicked 50.

Im talking about at AFL level ,Josh Murphy has kicked 30 from 9 games ,Hynes has kicked 18 playing mainly as a mid ,l could go on and on .
Berry has 27 goals from 12 games ,the way the game is played in the under 18's these days ,Brown would of kicked 50.

pretty sure Joe kicked 9 from 4 in the champs. (nick Watson kicked 14 - I erroneously said Joe berry kicked more)

and has 22 from 8 in Coates?

could be wrong.

Nathan Brown played against his peers and so is Joe. So did Stevie J.

But I total get and respect you being conservative with comparisons; they are a bit of a fools paradise.

On Malachi Champion: I know hes going to WC, but im such a fan.

on Saturday for Subiaco League, he got absolutely cleaned up by an old fashioned well timed H&S.

I thought he would be stretchered off. but he sucked in some breaths and got up and ran a bloke down.

He is an AFL player. He does all the things that are best for his team. hes lightening quick, tough as nails, and kicks goals.

I think hes gonna be a star.

I watched @tigerman 's big lump of a lad Gerreyn closely too.

He is a serious monster 18yo. Jon Patton body type. everything is big (Patton needed a special fish eye lens built for his phone)

has to be 50kg of meat between his knees and his navel? Definitely would be on @Leysy Days calendar, maybe Mr.September?

The conditions didn't suit, it was a quagmire. He competes in the air very aggressively and well. he squashes blokes.

he could be Hodgys favourite player, because he brings everything to ground (Subiaco are undersized down back and in the ruck, so a shrewd game to debut the kid)

and while it was a bog so likely a forget run, I want to see his testing data - he looked a bit 1980's athletically*???

* I thought Nick Madden, who was THE most colossal 18yo ive ever seen on a footy field (204/112), was a brontosaurus and GWS were wasting a pick, but he's having a fantastic year for a 20yo ruckman in the VFL. Assessing the monster kids is definitely not my strong suit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Mids, kicking skills, spread from contest and key forwards who can get up the ground and back. And burst of pace from all.

That's our draft. Stick to what we need.

Reactions: 6 users
Mids, kicking skills, spread from contest and key forwards who can get up the ground and back. And burst of pace from all.

I forgot to mention to you a week or two ago,l watched a Gippsland game ,and Mentha was playing down back and was good ,and was accountable .
Lindsay played mid ,and was ok ,Tauru is going up the charts as a forward ,good leap and mark,nice pace ,and leads up well,a late 18 year old and l believe he is now 193+94 cm .

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

And can compete, have great drive, go when it is their turn and win their own ball.

we're not asking for much.

Basically Chimp with every pick. :D

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I forgot to mention to you a week or two ago,l watched a Gippsland game ,and Mentha was playing down back and was good ,and was accountable .
Lindsay played mid ,and was ok ,Tauru is going up the charts as a forward ,good leap and mark,nice pace ,and leads up well,a late 18 year old and l believe he is now 193+94 cm .
Mentha is someone I want between 30-40. Has Rioli like tendencies from the back flank and can play as a forward pocket. Options galore.

Stats: 22 disposals, 5 marks, 7 rebound 50s

Mentha had perhaps his best performance of the season to date for the Power, constantly providing dash and drive coming out of his side’s defensive 50. On numerous occasions he showed great speed and composure under pressure to get the opposition off guard on their transition. His silky skills, pressure acts and decision making were all features although at times his disposal by hand missed targets. Mentha showed great pace especially when it came to reading the play with loose ground balls and at times stood at the last line of defence where he saved a certain goal in the second quarter getting a hand to it before going over for the score.

* from Rookie Me's CTL scouting notes https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2024/07/31/scouting-notes-2024-coates-talent-league-round-16/

Reactions: 5 users