2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Mentha is someone I want between 30-40. Has Rioli like tendencies from the back flank and can play as a forward pocket. Options galore.

Stats: 22 disposals, 5 marks, 7 rebound 50s

Mentha had perhaps his best performance of the season to date for the Power, constantly providing dash and drive coming out of his side’s defensive 50. On numerous occasions he showed great speed and composure under pressure to get the opposition off guard on their transition. His silky skills, pressure acts and decision making were all features although at times his disposal by hand missed targets. Mentha showed great pace especially when it came to reading the play with loose ground balls and at times stood at the last line of defence where he saved a certain goal in the second quarter getting a hand to it before going over for the score.

* from Rookie Me's CTL scouting notes https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2024/07/31/scouting-notes-2024-coates-talent-league-round-16/
Yeah he's a nice kick ,and a good turn of speed ,and can do the hard stuff.
He looks better in the back line than in the forward half,and Lindsay looks better in the back half as well,he's not bad in the midfield ,just think theres a few better.

Looks like the Magpies might need selections next year ,depending on were they finish ,Tom Mcguane looks a early pick.

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to mention to you a week or two ago,l watched a Gippsland game ,and Mentha was playing down back and was good ,and was accountable .
Lindsay played mid ,and was ok ,Tauru is going up the charts as a forward ,good leap and mark,nice pace ,and leads up well,a late 18 year old and l believe he is now 193+94 cm .
Tauru is a fantastic mark and if he is 194+ and can play forward he would be a good option. JR size. Not first round maybe but definitely second. Can play back as 3rd tall..so very versatile. Would be happy if we got him with a 30 ish pick.

Reactions: 3 users
Mids, kicking skills, spread from contest and key forwards who can get up the ground and back. And burst of pace from all.

That's our draft. Stick to what we need.

Agree re spread and pace though.

Does that put a line through Langford completely? ILO it does.

And is Reid a question mark, as balanced and classy as he is?

Reactions: 2 users
Agree re spread and pace though.

Does that put a line through Langford completely? ILO it does.

And is Reid a question mark, as balanced and classy as he is?
Langford if he slides, I reckon we still look at.

Reid for me is still a big yes, can get into a contest and out the other side with twinkle toes and will pick the best option. I've watched enough of him to know that he is football quick in the mind and medium in the body. That combo is enough for me to draft. And I reckon he is express over a short distance. Testing watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Reid for me is still a big use, can get into a contest and out the other side with twinkle toes and will pick the best option. I've watched enough of him to know that he is football quick in the mind and medium in the body. That combo is enough for me to draft. And I reckon he is express over a short distance. Testing watch.
I was very impressed by his quick release in the highlights*.
Seems to have a very sharp footy brain. That makes up for a lot.
Like.

Reid for me is still a big use, can get into a contest and out the other side with twinkle toes and will pick the best option. I've watched enough of him to know that he is football quick in the mind and medium in the body. That combo is enough for me to draft. And I reckon he is express over a short distance. Testing watch.

Agree. We look at speed and its not all in leg speed, its also in good ball use. If you can move the ball well and control the ball through kicking to marking targets (I'd hazard a guess we are probably ranked dead last for uncontested marks) then that can make you look a lot quicker, even without additional leg speed. Its one reason why I like Ross in our team. Reid looks like the type that might not be quick by foot, but is quick by mind and has the skills to back it up.

Reactions: 2 users
We need player's who can kick ,are above average for their height for marking ,and can do the hard stuff,goal kicking a bonus but much needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Depending on available picks 2 or 3 premium mids early then we desperately need a couple of decent key forwards, there's supposedly a handful available around the pick 15 to 30 mark of this years draft.
Pick a bunch of premium mids and there's only Koshitzme, Liftmykiltup n Bauer to deliver too in a couple of years time n we could well be stuck in deep *smile*.
We were blessed with 2 gun key forwards together in Tom and Jack (for about 2 years).

I would love to get another one but do you really need one. Decent - yes. Gun - probably not.

Melb 2021: Ben Brown and Tom Macdonald (and sort of Fitsch)
Geel 2022: Hawkins (old not prime), Jezza (and Rohan)
Coll 2023: Miohcek, Frampton (McStay injured).

Besides Jezza (Fitsch is ok), not exactly putting the fear of god into too many teams. 80% Lynch is still better than all of them except Jezza.

Is Balta good enough as the #1 dude or should he be settled as our poor man's Rance? Is Blight good enough to become a poor man's Balta. Gibcus...please don't get injured again.

Key forwards: 2 or 3 of: Lynch, Balta, Lefau, Bauer, Kosi
Key Backs: 2 or 3 of Balta, Miller, Gibcus, Blight

Is this good enough? Surround this with 15 running machines and we might be ok?

I've worked out who Jagga is. He's not Daicos, he's not Butters. He's Lachie Neale.

Reactions: 8 users
We were blessed with 2 gun key forwards together in Tom and Jack (for about 2 years).

I would love to get another one but do you really need one. Decent - yes. Gun - probably not.

Melb 2021: Ben Brown and Tom Macdonald (and sort of Fitsch)
Geel 2022: Hawkins (old not prime), Jezza (and Rohan)
Coll 2023: Miohcek, Frampton (McStay injured).

Besides Jezza (Fitsch is ok), not exactly putting the fear of god into too many teams. 80% Lynch is still better than all of them except Jezza.

Is Balta good enough as the #1 dude or should he be settled as our poor man's Rance? Is Blight good enough to become a poor man's Balta. Gibcus...please don't get injured again.

Key forwards: 2 or 3 of: Lynch, Balta, Lefau, Bauer, Kosi
Key Backs: 2 or 3 of Balta, Miller, Gibcus, Blight

Is this good enough? Surround this with 15 running machines and we might be ok?
We only had Jack as the main key in 2017,but l think your example has shown you don't need power forwards to win a grand final.

I've worked out who Jagga is. He's not Daicos, he's not Butters. He's Lachie Neale.
Not to me ,Smith is a free wheeler that play's good unaccountable football,and to take a sentence from one of your posts ,Toce is gutless if he calls Smiths name at one .

• Haha
He is now. He was never as skinny as Jagga but look at his clip from his first year on Freo's list and tell me their playing styles are not very similar:

No dramas just talking about body composition. Clearly opposites in that regard, which obviously makes a big difference when in the contest. Neale was 176cm/81kg when drafted and is now is 178cm/84kg. Butters most recently has demonstrated it can be done with a small frame as a major exception to the rule.