2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

So 10 efficient touches leading to 6 scores. Pretty good ratio. Impact player. Would love to see him working off the HFF line from Round 1 next year, rolling through into the midfield rotations.
What a combo.
Cotch with a touch of Lambert.

There’s a concern that other than the kid Draper from SA, there’s no express speed from the crop of midfielders.
Wonder how many of them test under 3 seconds for 20m.
Saying that, we know a couple like Smith are lighting off the mark and very agile. But not quick.
I think to get out of traffic, agility is far more important it explains how snail mids like pendlebury,Knights, etc were so good still.

This is all of us I think, we want it to be FOS, we want FOS to make it impossible to not pick him. Take the doubt away.

Yeah shame Oakleigh won't play finals to see him on display as he runs into more fitness.

The minute I watched fos in a couple of videos, he screamed special to me,and looking at his condition, there is a bit of Oliver puppy fat about him,his improvement potential is huge ,and his attitude is fantastic, will be special.

Reactions: 1 user
This is all of us I think, we want it to be FOS, we want FOS to make it impossible to not pick him. Take the doubt away.
Yep agree. We just need one big game to put any doubt away. Right now he is 99% there as the number 1. A Harvey Langford stand out performance this weekend could blow that all up. There is a reason why Twomey put him at 3.

Yeah. Like you said in an earlier post, the only small question mark is his ability to win enough ball. Yes he's been injured, so had a valid excuse, but he's had a number of games this year he hasn't won much footy. .

Looking at the schedule he only has two competitive games left for the year - he might put that to bed in those.

Still, he'd be fav for number 1 pick as it stands - ahead of Draper and Mick Jagga. Or Lawler if your name is Bengal Tiger. :D
I agree somewhat with you,l have read a few posts on here saying FOS isn't fit ,why isn't he fit .
He has had a finger injury,that doesn't stop you running ,and getting the work into your legs .

I do like FOS more than Smith,and would take him as no 1 ,IF Lalor doesn't finish the season well,but are we being seduced by his kicking and not looking at other areas.
I like morro,.but l thought his comments about FOS where a bit nice,l mean he got back into after a heavy tackle ,well blow me down he will get a few of them each AFL game he plays ,and just think that could be 7 months away .

This draft has lot's of questions on so many player's .

Reactions: 7 users
Yep agree. We just need one big game to put any doubt away. Right now he is 99% there as the number 1. A Harvey Langford stand out performance this weekend could blow that all up. There is a reason why Twomey put him at 3.
99% but one good VFL performance cna blow it up? Huh?

It's 50% at number one, tops. Long way out, long way to go.

Can't agree - Reckon Langford is a level below FoS, Draper, Jagga, Ashcroft and probably Lawler Smoking.

Even moreso with our needs for no more one paced mids.

He's in the next rung with Smillie, Reid, Trainor, Travaglia, Berry, Sims, Lombard etc. For Leysy anyhow.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree somewhat with you,l have read a few posts on here saying FOS isn't fit ,why isn't he fit .
He has had a finger injury,that doesn't stop you running ,and getting the work into your legs .

I do like FOS more than Smith,and would take him as no 1 ,IF Lalor doesn't finish the season well,but are we being seduced by his kicking and not looking at other areas.
I like morro,.but l thought his comments about FOS where a bit nice,l mean he got back into after a heavy tackle ,well blow me down he will get a few of them each AFL game he plays ,and just think that could be 7 months away .

This draft has lot's of questions on so many player's .

Every draft has questions on heaps of players, otherwise clubs would just submit identical top 100 rankings and get assigned 5 players.

Every player ever to play footy, except dusty, had question marks.

Its part of sport.

If youre coming around to FOS over Lalor, he must be our man?

Im oK with taking him at 1, but id be stoked to get jagga as well, which is quite possible

Reactions: 7 users
Can't agree - Reckon Langford is a level below FoS, Draper, Jagga, Ashcroft and probably Lawler Smoking.

Even moreso with our needs for no more one paced mids.

He's in the next rung with Smillie, Reid, Trainor, Travaglia, Berry, Sims, Lombard etc. For Leysy anyhow.

I agree,

But i reckon Joe Berry could/should go top 5.

Everyone wants goal kicking mids,

And while joe is a cameo mid currently,

Theres every indication he could progress towards a shai bolton time mid.

Berry kicks 2 goals a game on average across every game at every level.

Hes like a 12 points metronome,

And can and will easily do the full nathan brown/nick davis

And kick 5 in a quarter

Hes like a likeable, foot taller Nick Watson.

Its going to be a fascinating trade / draft period. Questions over players and over who teams might pick.

Will North trade back or take Trainor at 2, what if they don't take Trainor?
What will the Saints do? Likely that Draper who suits their list the most will be gone by their pick, will they trade up if they get the Battle compo pick?
Will GC keep their 1st? Depends on if they get Rioli I suppose, and also whether they think anyone above them will bid on Lombard.

Reactions: 1 users
Every draft has questions on heaps of players, otherwise clubs would just submit identical top 100 rankings and get assigned 5 players.

Every player ever to play footy, except dusty, had question marks.

Its part of sport.

If youre coming around to FOS over Lalor, he must be our man?

Im oK with taking him at 1, but id be stoked to get jagga as well, which is quite possible
IF Ashcroft wasn't F&S he would be wearing a Tiger jumper next year ,and l wouldn't argue with that,he has clearly been the best and most consistent player this year.
As for the other's i find questions over most of them ,which is rare for early picks .

I always liked FOS and Draper after Lalor ,but with Lalor being injured and being stuck into that school system *smile* ,it has probably worked against him to be no1,he has to perform really well in the remaining coates games .

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah shame Oakleigh won't play finals to see him on display as he runs into more fitness.
FOS can maybe concentrate on a mini pre-season so he can blitz or at least put his best foot forward at the Combine, (if some of the important metrics match up I'm sold), from one view of him live at the VFL he looked all class.

On the weekend he ticked the following boxes for me:

Goal Kicking
Vertical Leap
, (were impressed how high he jumped from a virtual standing start in his attempt to intercept an over the top handball, it was actually a highlight for me even though it resulted in nothing and would not have been noticed by anyone.
Lateral movement/evasiveness
Kicking

I will leave the rest to the experts on here as it was my one and only view of him.

Last edited:
So just thinking ahead as to how Shai could get us into a couple of top 10's (with an extra trade).

Saints are probably the team that fascinates me the most, likely to end up with Picks 5 and 6 of the live draft (ie. without f/s etc). They need speed in their midfield. It may come down to if they think Draper is a flight risk, but if they think he's not, can anyone see the below trades happening.

North trade 2 and 22 to Saints for 5 and 6. Saints get their man, North slide a bit to get Trainor. I don't think any of Richmond, WC or Adelaide will take him, other more pressing needs.

North then trade 6 to Richmond for 13 and 25 (both as part of the Bolton trade to Freo).

The live list of picks might then be something like:
1 - Rich - FOS
2 - Saints - Draper
3 - WC - Smillie
4 - Adelaide -
5 - North - Trainor
6 - Rich
7 - Melbourne
8 - GC / Rich - even without trading Rioli, I reckon we'd be a good shot at trying for this, with Baker and our F2nd in play
9 - Rich - Directly from the Shai trade

4 of the top 9 players, just plugging a few names in there. Not sure who Adelaide would go for in this instance, possibly Jagga or Reid, but we'd get a shot at 2/3 (hopefully 3 if we get the GC pick, though they may prefer to keep it if they can't get Rioli) with Jagga, Reid, Lalor, Langford, Berry etc all still on the board.

Interestingly that Alistair Clarkson confirmed today that North are trying to bring in a couple of contracted mature players in. Confirmed Jack Viney and Ollie Wines among others. Rumour is it that North have offered a big contract to Viney. Viney will be 31 at the start of next season.

The interest for Richmond would be that maybe Norths pick 2 could be on offer if they are looking to split into a couple of first rounders to do the trades.

We are likely to end up with multiple picks in the first round and could be a play for Richmond to split with North to go into draft night with picks 1 & 2 and still have other first round picks on hand.

Reactions: 2 users
Interestingly that Alistair Clarkson confirmed today that North are trying to bring in a couple of contracted mature players in. Confirmed Jack Viney and Ollie Wines among others. Rumour is it that North have offered a big contract to Viney. Viney will be 31 at the start of next season.

The interest for Richmond would be that maybe Norths pick 2 could be on offer if they are looking to split into a couple of first rounders to do the trades.

We are likely to end up with multiple picks in the first round and could be a play for Richmond to split with North to go into draft night with picks 1 & 2 and still have other first round picks on hand.

Broady confirmed on Daisy's podcast yesterday they offered him a 3 year deal as a 31yo.
clearly desperate for some mature heads