2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Yep the hawks will think they are close to a premiership and want more youth

I think go for their first rounder and watch them slip with a harder draw, a few injuries and there game plan under scrutiny
Yep.Pick sides that is a good chance of sliding next year who a very keen to get into this years draft sooner rather than later.
Cats
Hawks(Pending on the Barrass trade)
Pies(yes they won't slide much but they may bite.say pick 14ish for F1)

Yep.Pick sides that is a good chance of sliding next year who a very keen to get into this years draft sooner rather than later.
Cats

Why Hawthorn?

They have won 12 of 15 and are playing the best football in the country. With their key players all young.

Reactions: 1 user
Cats

Brisbane will almost certainly need to trade into the draft or trade players out to get picks in this years draft. Not only do they have Ashcroft (and don't have enough points yet to match) but they also have Marshall who is expected to go somewhere between 20-30. Whether they can sell their future pick to the highest bidder, we'll see how many takers want or have the ability to trade out of this years draft. Probably not too many.

Carlton and Essendon may have been considering trading their picks back but probably not. There's not many teams with multiple picks across multiple rounds. Freo is an option to trade 1 of their 1sts this year into next year, suits them if they think Warner might be available to add a 2nd 1st rounder for next year, GCS are another one but depends on what they do with their picks. Either way, if they trade for one of them, we have picks to inflate the values of those picks with our later round picks.

Reactions: 1 users
All based on one big mark in half a maggos game????? FMD.

Lemme see now.
We've got a Lynchman who's approximately half an injury or perhaps a handful of games off being cooked.
We've got a Koshitsme who's battled manfully in a new team supplying *smile* ball service this year, who's probably a competent second key forward.
We've got a Balta who we've spent a couple of years now throwing backwards and forwards due to injury needs, who's been a better defender than forward.
We've got a Samsung, do we really need to say anything more at this point in time.
We've got a Liftmykiltup who's an ex rugby player on his second knee reco, but could play as a 2nd or better still 3rd tall forward option.
We've got a Bauer who's still very unproven at senior level who's probably best suited to a role as either 3rd tall forward or defender.
We've got a 50 shades who's played a handful of promising VFL games n ripped the *smile* out of a hammy so completely unproven.

There's a lot of tall players on this list with not a real lot of anything to write home about except wishful dreamin.
You missed the word MAY
Nice melt though.

Why Hawthorn?

They have won 12 of 15 and are playing the best football in the country. With their key players all young.
They're playing great as a team.
Can they follow up next year?
Sides will do their homework
Blue collar side

I wonder if GWS might be tempted. They don’t have any more than their “natural” picks this year from memory.
I doubt GWS will be tempted other than Cadman may request it.
Has that Tom Lynch situation about it.
Blair in his ear type thing.

FOS looks the closest thing to Chimp in years.

Yeah he sold me last weekend. The evasiveness, the strong arm to protect space. He just screamed footballer. The fact he didn't get many touches is a proviso behind taking a big knock early in the game. He may not have continued if Olden hadn't have already gone off injured, so to continue on and impact was great. I'd love to have seen his score involvements, reckon they'd have been really high off those 12 touches he had.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah he sold me last weekend. The evasiveness, the strong arm to protect space. He just screamed footballer. The fact he didn't get many touches is a proviso behind taking a big knock early in the game. He may not have continued if Olden hadn't have already gone off injured, so to continue on and impact was great. I'd love to have seen his score involvements, reckon they'd have been really high off those 12 touches he had.
6 apparently.

I think it's a sneaky good draft for talls. Armstrong, Sims, the Whitlocks, Gerreyn, O'Farrell, Trainor, Mraz, Dodson, Burmeister, Nicholls, Shanahan. The athletic capabilities of some of them is amazing.

I'd be aiming for two of Armstrong, Sims, Whitlocks, Gerreyn. I like Armstrong/Sims as a combo best. Armstrong has the running power to be a wide-ranging, up and back CHF, while having the nous and sharpshooting to take a turn at FF when Sims goes into the ruck. Sims has the speed and power profile you want leading from the goal square or wrestling in it.

The talls are partly why I don't have the doubts on the quality of this draft that Reds and Bengal do. That and the fact we witnessed arguably the best under-18 game of all time in Metro v Country.

Maybe there's no Harley Reid. But FOS is special, and he's ours if Toce knows what he's doing. There's a raft of quality mid-sized players. Good draft. Deep and broad. Like I've been saying, great draft to have pick 1, 8, 17, 21, 25. And we could well have a much better hand than that. - it's possible we will hold something like 1, 3, 7, 15, 17, 20, 21, 22. I'd be loading up - use the first six and get 2025 first-rounders for the last two.

With that hand we could conceivably get FOS, Jagga/Lalor/Draper/Langford, Armstrong, Berry, Sims, Hotton/Allan/Lindsay. Salivating.

I still can't help @eZyT with the yo-yo numbers, other than 1000 is the highest I've seen and Faull's 320 is the lowest (although Mac Andrew might have been lower).
Thanks Greg Miller,your 2004 drafting set us right up with all those picks.and you want us to do it again :LOL:
Most of those forwards you have mentioned are soft,they lack second efforts ,they don't pressure /tackle ,they are one trick pony''s .
Whitlocks or jack in particular do at least try and do the hard stuff,and get up and down the ground ,but needs to put on quite a bit of beef.

One player kept Metro in the game,Vic c only had 1 defender over 191 cm and had Burmeister as ruck,,who plays ruck/defender/forward at coates level.
The skill level wasn't really that good in the metro-country game ,l reckon the boys coming up from the under 16 champs would give this years lot a run for there money

• Dislike
  • Sad
Would like to see the FOS have a big rack of possessions in a game before the season is out.

Love the FOS. But if I had a query, it'd be on the number of involvements for mine. 2023 Coates ave 23 disposals. Pretty good I guess for an underager. 2023 National Champs 16.7 again as an underager. All games this year at Nationals, Coates and APS....nothing to write home about.

Would just like to see one big possession game from him a la Jags, Lalor, Langford, Reid and co. A take the game by the scruff of the neck sort of performance.
This is all of us I think, we want it to be FOS, we want FOS to make it impossible to not pick him. Take the doubt away.

Reactions: 6 users
FOS looks the closest thing to Chimp in years.

Yeah. Like you said in an earlier post, the only small question mark is his ability to win enough ball. Yes he's been injured, so had a valid excuse, but he's had a number of games this year he hasn't won much footy. .

Looking at the schedule he only has two competitive games left for the year - he might put that to bed in those.

Still, he'd be fav for number 1 pick as it stands - ahead of Draper and Mick Jagga. Or Lawler if your name is Bengal Tiger. :D