2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

More pre-season data:

Luke Trainor 194cm 90kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.184
Agility 8.832
Yo-yo 760

Harry Armstrong 195cm 84kg
Vertical 87cm
20m 3.123
Agility 8.774
Yo-yo 960

Jack Whitlock 200cm 87kg
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.064
Agility 8.718
Yo-yo 840

Alixzander Tauru 191cm (now 193 apparently) 84kg
Vertical 89cm
20m 3.137
Agility 8.527
Yo-yo 840

Matt Whitlock197cm 83kg
Vertical 96cm
20m 3.103
Agility 8.714
Yo-yo 720 (2023 number)

Jobe Shanahan 194cm 87kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.117
Agility 8.751
Yo-yo 720

Jonty Faull 195cm 89kg
didn't test this year so all results from 2023 pre-season
Vertical, 80cm
20m 3.107
Agility 8.28
Yo-yo 520

Thomas Sims 199cm 90kg (2023)
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.036
Agility 7.909
Yo-yo 560

Noah Mraz 198cm 86kg
didn't test this year so all results from 2023 pre-season
Vertical 83cm
20m 3.216
Agility 8.464
Yo-yo 760

Armstrong's results should allay @Leysy Days concerns. Pretty similar to Travaglia.

Great numbers from Sims and Whitlocks.

One of the reasons he reminds me of Nathan Brown.

Im still confounded by these YO-Yo numbers and getting no explanation.

the AFL record for Beep Test is Billy Hurting with 16.6

the AFL record for the Yo-Yo is Harry Grant with 22.8

my question is this:

Q: Has this years tall draft crop been genetically modified with Ethiopian Genes and Pharlaps pulmonary system and Haeomoglobin of Blue Whales, thus having 50 times the stamina of previous AFL athletes,

or are the number nonsensical? and if so, why?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
He took a great mark in the goal square, I remember it well. But it was against Damon Hollow, who is 180cm, and Lennox Hoffman, who is the same height as Langford but was taken out of the contest by Cooper Hynes.

He's a terrific player, don't get me wrong. Don't think Hird is the right comparison though.
Take him ahead of Smillie but we need speed not brute.

Reactions: 1 user
Langford is bigger than Newcombe and probably a better kick. As long as he has some quick players around him I think he could be a very good pick up in the 5 to 10 range.

There's a bit of Finn Callahan about Langford I reckon?

Callahan looked like a star in Brissy last week, as did other kids Darcy Jones, Cadman and freeby Joel Peatling.

GWS are providing a guide on how to rejuvenate a list fast with a heap of high picks. Of course, exclusive access to an area the size of Eastern Europe helps no end.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Kayle Gerreyn is named to play first ruck for West Perth tomorrow. A tough day to make his debut in the ones, they forecast up to 40mm of rain.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Im still confounded by these YO-Yo numbers and getting no explanation.

the AFL record for Beep Test is Billy Hurting with 16.6

the AFL record for the Yo-Yo is Harry Grant with 22.8

my question is this:

Q: Has this years tall draft crop been genetically modified with Ethiopian Genes and Pharlaps pulmonary system and Haeomoglobin of Blue Whales, thus having 50 times the stamina of previous AFL athletes,

or are the number nonsensical? and if so, why?
Firstly, the yo-yo and beep tests are 2 entirely different aerobic tests with different measurements. (The yo-yo replaced the beep a few years ago.)

Seems the yo-yo used to be measured by the amount of stages a player completed e.g. 21.1. Now, it appears that its measured by the number of metres they complete e.g. 900.

I tried to work it back by dividing the metres by the 40m stages that they run but it doesn't work out because it seems the stages are all over the place e.g. stage 15...stage 19.1 ....stage 19.2 etc.

Metres will be an easier measurement to reference going forward, just that right now its hard to equate with a total stage number that they've used in the past.

Reactions: 3 users
Firstly, the yo-yo and beep tests are 2 entirely different aerobic tests with different measurements. (The yo-yo replaced the beep a few years ago.)

Seems the yo-yo used to be measured by the amount of stages a player completed e.g. 21.1. Now, it appears that its measured by the number of metres they complete e.g. 900.

I tried to work it back by dividing the metres by the 40m stages that they run but it doesn't work out because it seems the stages are all over the place e.g. stage 15...stage 19.1 ....stage 19.2 etc.

Metres will be an easier measurement to reference going forward, just that right now its hard to equate with a total stage number that they've used in the past.

Yay! thank-you.

Total Distance seems a strange change,

given that Yo-Yo is about running repeat distance at increasing speed, total metres run is a bit counter-intuitive?

its a repeat test, not a totals test.

I suppose its relative, but hard to relate to previous results?

Its kind of like changing the 100m sprint results as how far competitors covered when the winner crossed the line, isn't it?

im a bit old fashion I suppose, in that I prefer my units of measurement to stay the same.

There's a bit of Finn Callahan about Langford I reckon?

Callahan looked like a star in Brissy last week, as did other kids Darcy Jones, Cadman and freeby Joel Peatling.

GWS are providing a guide on how to rejuvenate a list fast with a heap of high picks. Of course, exclusive access to an area the size of Eastern Europe helps no end.

Reckon Callaghan covers the ground better than Langford.

Always thought Langford is closest to Hayden Young in style/traits. Long kicks, left footers, big bodies, lack an initial yard of pace but can maintain a long stride once going etc etc.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m thinking Sims and Whitlock could form a mean forward line combination.

Could you get both with picks after 15? I keep seeing Sims at 25-30 and I’m shocked.
I think it's a sneaky good draft for talls. Armstrong, Sims, the Whitlocks, Gerreyn, O'Farrell, Trainor, Mraz, Dodson, Burmeister, Nicholls, Shanahan. The athletic capabilities of some of them is amazing.

I'd be aiming for two of Armstrong, Sims, Whitlocks, Gerreyn. I like Armstrong/Sims as a combo best. Armstrong has the running power to be a wide-ranging, up and back CHF, while having the nous and sharpshooting to take a turn at FF when Sims goes into the ruck. Sims has the speed and power profile you want leading from the goal square or wrestling in it.

The talls are partly why I don't have the doubts on the quality of this draft that Reds and Bengal do. That and the fact we witnessed arguably the best under-18 game of all time in Metro v Country.

Maybe there's no Harley Reid. But FOS is special, and he's ours if Toce knows what he's doing. There's a raft of quality mid-sized players. Good draft. Deep and broad. Like I've been saying, great draft to have pick 1, 8, 17, 21, 25. And we could well have a much better hand than that. - it's possible we will hold something like 1, 3, 7, 15, 17, 20, 21, 22. I'd be loading up - use the first six and get 2025 first-rounders for the last two.

With that hand we could conceivably get FOS, Jagga/Lalor/Draper/Langford, Armstrong, Berry, Sims, Hotton/Allan/Lindsay. Salivating.

I still can't help @eZyT with the yo-yo numbers, other than 1000 is the highest I've seen and Faull's 320 is the lowest (although Mac Andrew might have been lower).

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
We may already have our KP In Fawcett.
All based on one big mark in half a maggos game????? FMD.

Lemme see now.
We've got a Lynchman who's approximately half an injury or perhaps a handful of games off being cooked.
We've got a Koshitsme who's battled manfully in a new team supplying *smile* ball service this year, who's probably a competent second key forward.
We've got a Balta who we've spent a couple of years now throwing backwards and forwards due to injury needs, who's been a better defender than forward.
We've got a Samsung, do we really need to say anything more at this point in time.
We've got a Liftmykiltup who's an ex rugby player on his second knee reco, but could play as a 2nd or better still 3rd tall forward option.
We've got a Bauer who's still very unproven at senior level who's probably best suited to a role as either 3rd tall forward or defender.
We've got a 50 shades who's played a handful of promising VFL games n ripped the *smile* out of a hammy so completely unproven.

There's a lot of tall players on this list with not a real lot of anything to write home about except wishful dreamin.

• Haha
We need mids, we need kicking. Nek Minute - Leysy, let's get Tobie.

This is the worst comparison I can give that will make everyone think that I hate Tobie BUT here it is, he is a much better Kamdyn McIntosh but if I was really optimistic about Travaglia I would say he is Josh Weddle 2.0.

The only way I would entertain him would be with a pick in the teen's and if you had some mix of FOS/Jagga/Lalor/Reid locked in/ all gone.

In the right side I could see him having an impact but I'm not sure he suits a side in a total rebuild.
I'd take Lindsay before Trav.

There’s a concern that other than the kid Draper from SA, there’s no express speed from the crop of midfielders.
Wonder how many of them test under 3 seconds for 20m.
Saying that, we know a couple like Smith are lighting off the mark and very agile. But not quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
There’s a concern that other than the kid from SA, there’s no express speed from the crop of midfielders.
I laughed at this - Only essendon could employ a guy for 20 years who drafting record is so poor and still employ him… if there was a break dance draft dodoro would pick ray gun

• Haha
Yay! thank-you.

Total Distance seems a strange change,

given that Yo-Yo is about running repeat distance at increasing speed, total metres run is a bit counter-intuitive?

its a repeat test, not a totals test.

I suppose its relative, but hard to relate to previous results?

Its kind of like changing the 100m sprint results as how far competitors covered when the winner crossed the line, isn't it?

im a bit old fashion I suppose, in that I prefer my units of measurement to stay the same.

The calculator is a good one, helps compare scores

“Basically the beep test is considered to be endurance test while the Yo-Yo test is considered to be aerobic-endurance test,” he said.

The multi-stage 20 shuttle run test, commonly known as the beep test, is a popular field test of aerobic fitness. The Yo-Yo test is inspired by the beep test and possesses a lot of similarities.

Both the beep and Yo-Yo tests are shuttle runs which require the athlete to run back and forth over a 20m course in time to audio signals.

In both tests, athletes run to exhaustion. The scores are usually recorded as the level (or stage) achieved and a certain number of shuttles.

While there is no provision to rest in beep tests, there is a provision of taking rest in Yo-Yo test and it is considered to be the biggest difference between the two fitness tests.

There’s a concern that other than the kid Draper from SA, there’s no express speed from the crop of midfielders.
Wonder how many of them test under 3 seconds for 20m.
Saying that, we know a couple like Smith are lighting off the mark and very agile. But not quick.

Jagga was sub 3.0 secs at the start of the year - albeit just. But yeah his agility is a greater strength.