2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I've always held the view that this draft isn't quite as good as most seem to think, and that the reason it runs so deep is as much to do with the fact that there is so much uncertainty and queries on players as it is to do with actual talent levels running deep. Sure, there's always a level of uncertainty but you look at Jags, Smillie...right through to the top 30. I could pick out a concern about all of them. To me, its more broad than deep. That presents both lots of opportunity, and risk.

More than any other year, it's going to take real expert recruiting to pick the eyes out of a very very broad field. Dunno if I've ever seen anything quite like it actually.
I totally agree,the more and more l look at player's the more doubt lm having that this is a good year to go all out trading for picks.
Yeah there will be some finds in the first, second and third rounds etc but there is going to be quite a few busts .

Reactions: 1 user
I totally agree,the more and more l look at player's the more doubt lm having that this is a good year to go all out trading for picks.
Yeah there will be some finds in the first, second and third rounds etc but there is going to be quite a few busts .
Geez, now I think I'll just go out n start watching trees grow instead of footy. Haven't got another 37 years in the kit bag to wait for the next premiership n you've just ruined my thoughts on the old dead cat bounce coming after a couple of years on the bottom n simply raiding the draft.

Thanks Bengal, that's all a bloke needs after a long horror show footy season. Can't even get excited about a 10 goal flogging off Hawforn coming up to guarantee us pick 1 for the year. Miserable *^$*smile*#^** mutter mutter **^%$##@@!^**(). It'll be ruination for us now.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I don't think Jai Newcombe is particularly quick. (doubt he ever tested). Could Langford be a Newcombe type?
Langford is bigger than Newcombe and probably a better kick. As long as he has some quick players around him I think he could be a very good pick up in the 5 to 10 range.

Reactions: 1 users
Geez, now I think I'll just go out n start watching trees grow instead of footy. Haven't got another 37 years in the kit bag to wait for the next premiership n you've just ruined my thoughts on the old dead cat bounce coming after a couple of years on the bottom n simply raiding the draft.

Thanks Bengal, that's all a bloke needs after a long horror show footy season. Can't even get excited about a 10 goal flogging off Hawforn coming up to guarantee us pick 1 for the year. Miserable *^$*smile*#^** mutter mutter **^%$##@@!^**(). It'll be ruination for us now.
Mate you wont have to wait that long.MAYBE:ROFLMAO:

He looks like a wingman to me

But defensive HBF - WING - HHF are all pretty same these days

You run up and back and up and back and up and back and up and back, with your head going like a tennis umpire, and hope to get the odd kick
That's what thinking after watching his VFL game, disposal a bit of a concern.

Tobie's not an inside bull. He's too fast and fit for that.

But to Leysy - his kicking is OK without being a strength. He does mis-kick a couple, but if he slows down just a touch reckon it can improve.

But when you weigh up everything else, his leadership, agility, aerobic capacity, attack on the ball, overhead marking, ability to win one on one's, defensive game, competitivess, steps up in big games and big moments etc etc.

They are all fantastic attributes in a footballer. That's why have him in the top 10-12 in this draft.

Can also understand those that want to rank him down because of his kicking. That's OK.

How he turns out is an interesting test case on how high you should rate that skill if nearly everything else is at a high or elite level (especially in Tobie's case -the mind and athletically).
I could settle for the next Jason Castagna.

I am being complimentary BTW.

More pre-season data:

Luke Trainor 194cm 90kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.184
Agility 8.832
Yo-yo 760

Harry Armstrong 195cm 84kg
Vertical 87cm
20m 3.123
Agility 8.774
Yo-yo 960

Jack Whitlock 200cm 87kg
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.064
Agility 8.718
Yo-yo 840

Alixzander Tauru 191cm (now 193 apparently) 84kg
Vertical 89cm
20m 3.137
Agility 8.527
Yo-yo 840

Matt Whitlock197cm 83kg
Vertical 96cm
20m 3.103
Agility 8.714
Yo-yo 720 (2023 number)

Jobe Shanahan 194cm 87kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.117
Agility 8.751
Yo-yo 720

Jonty Faull 195cm 89kg
didn't test this year so all results from 2023 pre-season
Vertical, 80cm
20m 3.107
Agility 8.28
Yo-yo 520

Thomas Sims 199cm 90kg (2023)
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.036
Agility 7.909
Yo-yo 560

Noah Mraz 198cm 86kg
Vertical 83cm
20m 3.216
Agility 8.464
Yo-yo 760

Armstrong's results should allay @Leysy Days concerns. Pretty similar to Travaglia.

Great numbers from Sims and Whitlocks.

One of the reasons he reminds me of Nathan Brown.
Looks like Armstrong can run all day.

Would like to see the FOS have a big rack of possessions in a game before the season is out.

Love the FOS. But if I had a query, it'd be on the number of involvements for mine. 2023 Coates ave 23 disposals. Pretty good I guess for an underager. 2023 National Champs 16.7 again as an underager. All games this year at Nationals, Coates and APS....nothing to write home about.

Would just like to see one big possession game from him a la Jags, Lalor, Langford, Reid and co. A take the game by the scruff of the neck sort of performance.
On form, you’d have to say Ashcroft is a clear number 1 pick.
He rarely has a game with under 22 disposals.
Often much higher.
Wonder what his metre gains is?

More pre-season data:

Luke Trainor 194cm 90kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.184
Agility 8.832
Yo-yo 760

Vertical 87cm
20m 3.123
Agility 8.774
Yo-yo 960

Jack Whitlock 200cm 87kg
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.064
Agility 8.718
Yo-yo 840

Vertical 89cm
20m 3.137
Agility 8.527
Yo-yo 840

Matt Whitlock197cm 83kg
Vertical 96cm
20m 3.103
Agility 8.714
Yo-yo 720 (2023 number)

Jobe Shanahan 194cm 87kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.117
Agility 8.751
Yo-yo 720

Jonty Faull 195cm 89kg
Vertical, 80cm
20m 3.107
Agility 8.28
Yo-yo 520

Vertical 93cm
20m 3.036
Agility 7.909
Yo-yo 560

Noah Mraz 198cm 86kg
Vertical 83cm
20m 3.216
Agility 8.464
Yo-yo 760

Armstrong's results should allay @Leysy Days concerns. Pretty similar to Travaglia.

Jack Whitlock was rated in the top 6 players for a long time earlier this year but has blown out considerably on most phantom draft guides. Why?
Very good testing results for a 200cm true key position forward

We need mids, we need kicking. Nek Minute - Leysy, let's get Tobie.

This is the worst comparison I can give that will make everyone think that I hate Tobie BUT here it is, he is a much better Kamdyn McIntosh but if I was really optimistic about Travaglia I would say he is Josh Weddle 2.0.

The only way I would entertain him would be with a pick in the teen's and if you had some mix of FOS/Jagga/Lalor/Reid locked in/ all gone.

In the right side I could see him having an impact but I'm not sure he suits a side in a total rebuild.

Yeah, agree if you only had a couple of picks in the top 10-15 or so you'd take midfielders (with pace). But we might have a lot more picks than that.

Funny you say Weddle. Here's a draft night prediction - Hawthorn trade next years first on draft night for Tobie (this years will be traded out). He plays the win the ball back, gung-ho, straight-ahead, put the opposition on the back foot, style that Mitchell loves.

Re: Midfielders and kicking - Totally agree - Add pace!!. But we (along with other rebuilding teams) also need guys that are manic competitors, leaders, run all day, get lots of the footy and continually win the constant individual contests a football match provides i.e. Tobie.

Haven't been this keen on a junior, relative to consensus, since Mac Andrew (along with Jagga) TBH. Still remember our "debates" on Andrew. :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Brisbane have 1476 points in total. If we bid for Ashcroft at 1 they'll be 924 points short (about pick 19). We should demand they give us pick 14 (1161 points) for picks 39, 41 and 51 (1117 points) with the guarantee we won't bid. If North bid for him at 2 they'll need 581 more points (about pick 32) .

The older Ashcroft looked good before his knee. Is the younger just as good?

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, agree if you only had a couple of picks in the top 10-15 or so you'd take midfielders (with pace). But we might have a lot more picks than that.

Funny you say Weddle. Here's a draft night prediction - Hawthorn trade next years first on draft night for Tobie (this years will be traded out). He plays the win the ball back, gung-ho, straight-ahead, put the opposition on the back foot, style that Mitchell loves.

Re: Midfielders and kicking - Totally agree - Add pace!!. But we (along with other rebuilding teams) also need guys that are manic competitors, leaders, run all day, get lots of the footy and continually win the constant individual contests a football match provides i.e. Tobie.

Haven't been this keen on a junior, relative to consensus, since Mac Andrew (along with Jagga) TBH. Still remember our "debates" on Andrew. :love:
Cooper Hynes not as quick as TT,but a much better kick and hard at it ,as well as being good over head and a goal kicker up forward.

Reactions: 3 users
Cooper Hynes not as quick as TT,but a much better kick and hard at it ,as well as being good over head and a goal kicker up forward.

Yeah he's an interesting one Hynes. Whilst both are hard nuts, he looks a different player to TT. More a poor mans Lalor maybe.

What's his aerobic capacity like? Looks like it could do with some work?

Brisbane have 1476 points in total. If we bid for Ashcroft at 1 they'll be 924 points short (about pick 19). We should demand they give us pick 14 (1161 points) for picks 39, 41 and 51 (1117 points) with the guarantee we won't bid. If North bid for him at 2 they'll need 581 more points (about pick 32) .

The older Ashcroft looked good before his knee. Is the younger just as good?
I reckon we should trade with them and still bid on him.
They shouldn't get for him for free.

Omg, bring on November. We've got folks not just counting chickens before they hatch, but they've started using the eggs to make an omelette....la mère poulard style.
Yep, lots of opinions of who we take with picks we don’t have yet.
I wonder if people will be happy if all of Baker-Bolton-Rioli decide to stay

I've always held the view that this draft isn't quite as good as most seem to think, and that the reason it runs so deep is as much to do with the fact that there is so much uncertainty and queries on players as it is to do with actual talent levels running deep. Sure, there's always a level of uncertainty but you look at Jags, Smillie...right through to the top 30. I could pick out a concern about all of them. To me, its more broad than deep. That presents both lots of opportunity, and risk.

More than any other year, it's going to take real expert recruiting to pick the eyes out of a very very broad field. Dunno if I've ever seen anything quite like it actually.

Yeah - Probably why as Posh pointed out. It is a good idea to keep some early 20's picks with a view to trading them into next year. Because, as you say, it's so broad and even - beauty will be in the eye of the beholder.

Teams will have players ranked far higher on their board come say pick 20, and potentially pay potential overs to either take the pick off us, or slide it back ala what we did last year.

More pre-season data:

Luke Trainor 194cm 90kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.184
Agility 8.832
Yo-yo 760

Vertical 87cm
20m 3.123
Agility 8.774
Yo-yo 960

Jack Whitlock 200cm 87kg
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.064
Agility 8.718
Yo-yo 840

Vertical 89cm
20m 3.137
Agility 8.527
Yo-yo 840

Matt Whitlock197cm 83kg
Vertical 96cm
20m 3.103
Agility 8.714
Yo-yo 720 (2023 number)

Jobe Shanahan 194cm 87kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.117
Agility 8.751
Yo-yo 720

Jonty Faull 195cm 89kg
Vertical, 80cm
20m 3.107
Agility 8.28
Yo-yo 520

Vertical 93cm
20m 3.036
Agility 7.909
Yo-yo 560

Noah Mraz 198cm 86kg
Vertical 83cm
20m 3.216
Agility 8.464
Yo-yo 760

Sims’ results are interesting. Got speed, power and agility but not much of a tank.

Yeah he's an interesting one Hynes. Whilst both are hard nuts, he looks a different player to TT. More a poor mans Lalor maybe.

What's his aerobic capacity like? Looks like it could do with some work?
He's a good player,what makes you think he needs work on his endurance?
Here''s his latest footage .EDIT,,He takes a mark over Matt Wgitlock,who is 10 cm taller

Last edited:
He moves very well, almost arrogantly, for his size. Reminds a bit of Stringer. (first time I have seen him)