2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Bloody hell, trade period doesn't start for 2 months and the ND for over 3. This thread will get over 1000 pages. What is the PRE page record?
Dusty has over 1000 pages.

Sadly the umpire farce thread probably next 😂

You not worried about his kicking? We already have plenty of inside bulls who cant kick.

Tobie's not an inside bull. He's too fast and fit for that.

But to Leysy - his kicking is OK without being a strength. He does mis-kick a couple, but if he slows down just a touch reckon it can improve.

But when you weigh up everything else, his leadership, agility, aerobic capacity, attack on the ball, overhead marking, ability to win one on one's, defensive game, competitivess, steps up in big games and big moments etc etc.

They are all fantastic attributes in a footballer. That's why have him in the top 10-12 in this draft.

Can also understand those that want to rank him down because of his kicking. That's OK.

How he turns out is an interesting test case on how high you should rate that skill if nearly everything else is at a high or elite level (especially in Tobie's case -the mind and athletically).

Reactions: 2 users
More pre-season numbers:

Tobie Travaglia
187.3cm, 74.7kg
Vertical (Both feet): 57cm
Vertical L: 77cm
Vertical R: 71cm
5m: 1.194
10m: 1.928
20m: 3.104
Agility: 8.452
Yo-yo: 920

Joe Berry
180.1cm, 72.5kg
Vertical (both): 70cm
Vertical L: 88cm
Vertical R: 86cm
5m: 1.165
10m: 1.843
20m: 3.026
Agility: 8.479
Yo-yo: 720

Reactions: 6 users
More pre-season numbers:

Tobie Travaglia
187.3cm, 74.7kg
Vertical (Both feet): 57cm
Vertical L: 77cm
Vertical R: 71cm
5m: 1.194
10m: 1.928
20m: 3.104
Agility: 8.452
Yo-yo: 920

Joe Berry
180.1cm, 72.5kg
Vertical (both): 70cm
Vertical L: 88cm
Vertical R: 86cm
5m: 1.165
10m: 1.843
20m: 3.026
Agility: 8.479
Yo-yo: 720
What's these yo-yo's 720 etc ? Most I've seen are the reps they've done which produce numbers like 18 to 22 or whatever.

Travaglia at 8 - hmmmmm. Good to see some love.

He had a sneaky under the radar VFL debut for Carlton on the weekend.

Had a couple of sloppy kicks early. Which he can do.

But farrkkk, he plays for keeps. How's his attack on the footy and tackling. He's next level in that area.

Very very good one on one against men. Looks like he really grew into the game as he adjusted to the higher pace.

Once he fills out he's gunna be a great physical specimen who will make opponents scared when they have the ball, and nervous with his attacking mindset with it

He's all footballer. Love him.

great numbers!

as a reference point, Harley Reid averaged 19d and 5 tackles from 3 VFL games.

Travaglia 15d 5t

yeah ive really warmed to him this year.

I reckon along with Joe Berry and the talls, one of the least predictable picks in the draft.

I reckon his range is 6-25, such is the depth

there will be a kid this good still there on Day 2
He sure has plenty of scope. What position do you think he'll end up playing?

What's these yo-yo's 720 etc ? Most I've seen are the reps they've done which produce numbers like 18 to 22 or whatever.
Yeah I dunno. From what I can gather 720 is not great. 920 for TT and 1000 for Vontae excellent.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I dunno. From what I can gather 720 is not great. 920 for TT and 1000 for Vontae excellent.
It'll be metres completed. Using the level 2 intermittent yo yo test, (which is what I think the AFL uses for elite athletes),there would be an equivalent stage level eg 18,19,20 or whatever.

Would like to see the FOS have a big rack of possessions in a game before the season is out.

Love the FOS. But if I had a query, it'd be on the number of involvements for mine. 2023 Coates ave 23 disposals. Pretty good I guess for an underager. 2023 National Champs 16.7 again as an underager. All games this year at Nationals, Coates and APS....nothing to write home about.

Would just like to see one big possession game from him a la Jags, Lalor, Langford, Reid and co. A take the game by the scruff of the neck sort of performance.
You'd play him forward a lot early. Obvs need to get fit. He's so smart he could easily kick 1-2 a game. Probably two years from full time mid. And 25 as a mid with that skill set would be uber damaging. But yes some evidence please.

Interesting that Morris feels O'Sullivan is above the level at the VFL.

It only took half a game for him to say that.

If we recruit him, he won't ever play VFL.

Agreed, would be played on the HFF with stints in the middle from Round 1 next year.

Interesting that Morris feels O'Sullivan is above the level at the VFL.

It only took half a game for him to say that.

If we recruit him, he won't ever play VFL.
The write up was a clear indication of his ability and a glowing endorsement on where Morro thinks he should be taken.

Reactions: 3 users
Tobie's not an inside bull. He's too fast and fit for that.
We need mids, we need kicking. Nek Minute - Leysy, let's get Tobie.

This is the worst comparison I can give that will make everyone think that I hate Tobie BUT here it is, he is a much better Kamdyn McIntosh but if I was really optimistic about Travaglia I would say he is Josh Weddle 2.0.

The only way I would entertain him would be with a pick in the teen's and if you had some mix of FOS/Jagga/Lalor/Reid locked in/ all gone.

In the right side I could see him having an impact but I'm not sure he suits a side in a total rebuild.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Dusty has over 1000 pages.

Sadly the umpire farce thread probably next 😂
Wait until we have picks 1,3,7,9 10,12, 14 16 with 21 and 23 as the supplementary numbers.

1500 pages here we come.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Joe Berry. Virtually no difference between his left foot and his right. Unusual for a natural leftie. Switches between both in a game like shelling peas.

Sign of uber class.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
More pre-season data:

Luke Trainor 194cm 90kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.184
Agility 8.832
Yo-yo 760

Harry Armstrong 195cm 84kg
Vertical 87cm
20m 3.123
Agility 8.774
Yo-yo 960

Jack Whitlock 200cm 87kg
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.064
Agility 8.718
Yo-yo 840

Alixzander Tauru 191cm (now 193 apparently) 84kg
Vertical 89cm
20m 3.137
Agility 8.527
Yo-yo 840

Matt Whitlock197cm 83kg
Vertical 96cm
20m 3.103
Agility 8.714
Yo-yo 720 (2023 number)

Jobe Shanahan 194cm 87kg
Vertical 88cm
20m 3.117
Agility 8.751
Yo-yo 720

Jonty Faull 195cm 89kg
didn't test this year so all results from 2023 pre-season
Vertical, 80cm
20m 3.107
Agility 8.28
Yo-yo 520

Thomas Sims 199cm 90kg (2023)
Vertical 93cm
20m 3.036
Agility 7.909
Yo-yo 560

Noah Mraz 198cm 86kg
didn't test this year so all results from 2023 pre-season
Vertical 83cm
20m 3.216
Agility 8.464
Yo-yo 760

Armstrong's results should allay @Leysy Days concerns. Pretty similar to Travaglia.

Great numbers from Sims and Whitlocks.

Joe Berry. Virtually no difference between his left foot and his right. Unusual for a natural leftie. Switches between both in a game like shelling peas.

Sign of uber class.
One of the reasons he reminds me of Nathan Brown.

Reactions: 7 users
We need mids, we need kicking. Nek Minute - Leysy, let's get Tobie.

This is the worst comparison I can give that will make everyone think that I hate Tobie BUT here it is, he is a much better Kamdyn McIntosh but if was really optimistic about Travaglia I would say he is Josh Weddle 2.0.

The only way I would entertain him would be with a pick in the teen's and if you had some mix of FOS/Jagga/Lalor/Reid locked in all gone.

In the right side I could see him having an impact but I'm not sure he suits a side in a total rebuild.
Travaglia does have glaring kicking issues ,but is considered a 10 on wards pick.
I get this draft has depth ,but does it have lots of quality through it ,lots of flanker types and bit player's .
If the Tigers got a few first round picks from Shai,they should nit pick ,and get who they think is the best player around position wise ,be it a key forward/ruck/key back etc etc.
I watched a bit of quite a few player's over the weekend and a bit on monday,of recent games ,and quite a few have issues .

Reactions: 1 users
I watched a bit of quite a few player's over the weekend and a bit on monday,of recent games ,and quite a few have issues .
I've always held the view that this draft isn't quite as good as most seem to think, and that the reason it runs so deep is as much to do with the fact that there is so much uncertainty and queries on players as it is to do with actual talent levels running deep. Sure, there's always a level of uncertainty but you look at Jags, Smillie...right through to the top 30. I could pick out a concern about all of them. To me, its more broad than deep. That presents both lots of opportunity, and risk.

More than any other year, it's going to take real expert recruiting to pick the eyes out of a very very broad field. Dunno if I've ever seen anything quite like it actually.

Reactions: 6 users
He sure has plenty of scope. What position do you think he'll end up playing?

He looks like a wingman to me

But defensive HBF - WING - HHF are all pretty same these days

You run up and back and up and back and up and back and up and back, with your head going like a tennis umpire, and hope to get the odd kick

Reactions: 1 user