2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Sam McClure said that a recent dynasty team has pick #1 just 4-years after their last flag. He says we need a lottery and the system is broken for that to happen.
He’s very fearful the Tigers will have overtaken his Blues by 2026
Sam McLure is a Carlton supporter isn't he? so we can only hope his fear or prophecy comes true :)

Reactions: 5 users
Hear hear Hirsute you wooly Dakota Bison you !

The system was broken according to that douche bag when we were on top and got Lynch. And now it's broken again because we're last and get the 1st pick - something everyone's essentially got since 1986 !

What he meant to say was "I don't like Richmond so anything positive for them I am opposed to".

Scumbag is especially pissed off now that he has no more Dusty departure stories to write, something the bs artist bottom fed off for years.

I'll tell you what's broken: the entire AFL media industry.

I have no doubt that most of the footy world is cringing about us having potentially half a dozen top-20 picks in a super draft just 4-years after our dynasty!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Clip of Harry Armstrong playing for Sandringham last month.

Still cannot see how he is possibly rated anywhere near where he currently is by many on here (and some of the media).

As poor a 4 goal game as you will see. Nice kick, smart enough player.

But slowish, goes to ground, gets little elevation and on the shortish side for a key forward these days.

Still confident there are 3-4 (possibly more) other guys for his role in this draft we'd be better off taking

For your perusal brothers and sisters.

Travaglia at 8 - hmmmmm. Good to see some love.

He had a sneaky under the radar VFL debut for Carlton on the weekend.

Had a couple of sloppy kicks early. Which he can do.

But farrkkk, he plays for keeps. How's his attack on the footy and tackling. He's next level in that area.

Very very good one on one against men. Looks like he really grew into the game as he adjusted to the higher pace.

Once he fills out he's gunna be a great physical specimen who will make opponents scared when they have the ball, and nervous with his attacking mindset with it

He's all footballer. Love him.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Great thread everyone. Fair to say more knowledge in here than the media.

Would it be right to say we only have enough draft points to pull off one pick swap. Eg brisbane pick 14 for our picks over 30?

Reactions: 1 user
When your VFL coach says that FOS is above the level after playing basically 2 qtrs, how can you not take him as your top pick ?

Reactions: 3 users
I went to the VFL game on Sunday almost exclusively to watch Jags and FOS. In fact, I pretty much just watched them. Off the ball, their running patterns, how much time on the bench, their communication etc. A lot of stuff you can’t see on tv. My 2 cents worth on them with a bit of a one on one comparison involved….

Jags was easily the better of the two from an output perspective on the day. I thought he was our second best player behind Blight. He’s a very very smart footballer Jags – particularly at stoppages. He has elite play reading skills. His positioning, his running to space….fantastic. Quick hands. He got off numerous contested/pressure handballs to team mates in the clear which then established links down the ground. His kicking lacks penetration. Watching him warm up he couldn’t cover 40m downhill at the train station end of the ground taking set shots. When he gets some more oomf in his kicking, and creates more forward movement with more kicking (very handball dominant), he will be a player.

FOS, whilst lesser output, is the classier and more impactful player when involved. He hits contests with more speed than Jags and takes the tackler on. Stays on his feet. Good finisher. He was a bit disappointing from a work rate perspective though. He’s underdone. Spent nearly 12 mins on the bench in the 3rd quarter and maybe the same in the last quarter. He was totally gassed in the last quarter. Thought he was gonna throw up actually. He spent a lot of the game jogging through the centre corridor whereas Jags worked out wider and into defence much more. Some of that was to do with Morris yelling at him to stay out there and hold the structure. Anyway, he still has a ways to go on the aerobic front I feel. Maybe injuries have affected that this year.

Both are not that quick over the ground. (FOS the advantage in that respect. He’s ok…but certainly not nippy.) That’s not either of their 1 woods. They’re both contest to contest players which is where they shine.

Both should be good players. Dunno if I’d take both of them together though. Think I’d like a bit more speed and carry and would mix one of them up with a Draper or someone instead if I had two picks in the top 3-5.

Anyway, just personal at the game, obs....

(One other thing: FOS has definitely grown a cm or two. He is quite well defined in the shoulders and legs and projects to have a pretty solid frame in a couple of years. Jags....not so much).
Good observations and post Drof.(y)

Great thread everyone. Fair to say more knowledge in here than the media.

Would it be right to say we only have enough draft points to pull off one pick swap. Eg brisbane pick 14 for our picks over 30?
If this happens and it probably will , and all of Shai Sos Bakes and Fridge go, we will have more than enough picks to bid on a player or trade out a couple to move up the order.

Can an expert explain to me how Ashcroft works for Bris.

If we bid at pick 1 for him what do they have to pay to get him?
If we don’t bid and norf bid at pick 2 what do they have to pay?
What is the likely lowest spot someone would bid for him?

What do they need to get to afford these?

How do we use this to our advantage.

Can we use this advantage multiple times with other father sons too somehow? I’m assuming pick 1 let’s us do something extra because we can get the value of not bidding if Bris trust us and we extract the difference.
If Ashcroft gets called then Brisvegas have to pay the value of that call, less the 20% F/S discount. If we call Ashcroft at 1 and that value is 3000 draft points then Brisvegas can match the call with a 20% discount ie. 2400 points of value.
As long as the calls keep getting matched by the clubs with access to F/S or Academy priority a club could keep calling picks until they actually make a call that doesn't get matched.
Think from vague old fart memory, we've already done this once before, but later in the draft. Called a player that got matched n then called a second player that also got matched. Vague old memory might be dodgy, but I'm sure it was done a few years back.

Reactions: 2 users

But farrkkk, he plays for keeps. How's his attack on the footy and tackling. He's next level in that area.

Very very good one on one against men. Looks like he really grew into the game as he adjusted to the higher pace.

Once he fills out he's gunna be a great physical specimen who will make opponents scared when they have the ball, and nervous with his attacking mindset with it

I like him, he impressed me in a couple of the National games that I watched.

If there are 6 better players than Lombard, then this is a very good draft. He would walk into most teams in his first year.

Reactions: 2 users

I like TT. Couple of queries on skills but I think as I saw more they were ironed out. I reckon TT and Lindsay are Toce types (see Wilson/Wang-Mil).

Yeah, good signs and throws himself into every contest. Has the jets which we need. Tackles with intent. A bit spasmodic with his kicking and seemed to handball a lot.
This type of player suits the high-pressure, chaos and forward handball type of game plan.

Richmond requested both Murphy Reid and Smillie to play for our VFL team but they have chosen to stay with their Coats teams.
Smith is done with his 3 week trial but they’re trying to get FOS back again for one more game down the track.

TIGERS' NO.1 AUDITIONS CONTINUE

RICHMOND has looked at auditioning more potential No.1 draft picks through its VFL program as the Tigers look set for a bumper draft crop, with the club attempting to get classy midfielder Murphy Reid into the team as well.

The Tigers will have top pick contender Harvey Langford play for their VFL side this weekend, following midfield pair Finn O'Sullivan and Jagga Smith in recent weeks.

Smith and O'Sullivan will return to play for the Oakleigh Chargers this weekend, with Smith's three-game run for Richmond now done. O'Sullivan may play one more game for the Tigers but it is to be determined.

The Tigers requested Sandringham Dragons talent Reid to play for them as well in the VFL, however he will play for the Dragons this week. His VFL affiliate is the Sandringham Zebras, so if Reid was to play at the level it would have been for them.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

The Tigers have also had interest in getting Eastern Ranges midfielder Josh Smillie to feature in their VFL side however, like Reid with the Zebras, the Ranges have ties to Box Hill Hawks. Smillie will play out the year with the Ranges.

With the Richmond injury list cutting into the Tigers' VFL squad as well, the club is able to ask for AFL approval to have potential draftees play for them to fill their team line-ups even if their Coates Talent League regions don't match up as affiliates with the Tigers.

Richmond has used the opportunity to trial three of the top contenders for the No.1 choice. – Callum Twomey

buMBftv1.jpg

So Reid n Smillie would rather sit back n play kiddie league than have a crack at the grown ups right before the draft that sets up their footy lives. Touch of privileged soft *smile* happening there????

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users