2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

The thing with both Daniel and Shai is that they're both contracted for multiple years.

It's not like GC & Freo can wait it out for a year and then get them cheaper out of contract.

Pay up, bitches.

Daniel in particular won't demand to leave. He may express a preference, but he won't do it if the clubs can't agree a good deal for Richmond. You can see how much he cares and wants to perform for the club, even now when our season is done and dusted and that spoon is being cleaned up.

With Lombard sliding though, it looks like they are wanting their cake and eating it, by using their 1st on a top junior AND getting Rioli with the more junk picks.

12 and 20 essentially will be dropped back somewhat. Battle will likely get a 1st round in compo to push them back to 13 and 21 based on "live" picks but in terms of real picks they will likely fall back to 15 (add Ashcroft and Lombard) and 24 (add Ashcroft, Lombard and Kako). 15 and 24 for player of Rioli's ability. Nope. next offer please.

Reactions: 4 users
For those concerned about Langford's athleticism:

Vertical: 61cm
Vertical R: 70cm
Vertical L: 72cm
5m: 1.210
10m: 1.949
20m: 3.213
Agility: 8.721
Yo-yo: 720

From pre-season testing.

Valid concerns.
Is it the 20m time you are concerned with?

Reactions: 1 user
Better to wait for Oct testing.
I agree, just watched his national championship highlights again and his tank doesn’t seem to be a problem. He obviously isn’t quick but is a big lad and there is still a lot to like. I have him well ahead of Smillie.

Reactions: 3 users
Bolton 25, Graham 26, Baker 26, Rioli 27 - Graham aside, these are our best players in their prime years. Given the contract status of Rioli and Bolton, unless we get huge deals for both it would seem madness to let them go.

Reactions: 10 users
Harry Armstrong with a bullet.
Can we afford to let him get past us with one of our lower picks?
IF he ends up a Cadman it’s worth reaching for
Twomey saying that 12 & 20 gets the deal done for Rioli, however, we need to push for their first pick (7 at this stage) so we can try and get Armstrong and Lalor (with the Collingwood pick).

We need to have 3 picks inside 10 and hopefully it looks something like this:
1 - Jagga, FOS, Langford
7 - Armstrong
8 - Lalor

Can an expert explain to me how Ashcroft works for Bris.

If we bid at pick 1 for him what do they have to pay to get him?
If we don’t bid and norf bid at pick 2 what do they have to pay?
What is the likely lowest spot someone would bid for him?

What do they need to get to afford these?

How do we use this to our advantage.

Can we use this advantage multiple times with other father sons too somehow? I’m assuming pick 1 let’s us do something extra because we can get the value of not bidding if Bris trust us and we extract the difference.

That and he can't jump and his yoyo's not great.
Took a great mark in the goal square v bigger bodies in country v metro game..last quarter..so can jump.
And..was dynamic all game running all day...got bog...can run and has endurance...maybe just not a sprinter..
Is a very good player..think J Hird.

Twomey saying that 12 & 20 gets the deal done for Rioli, however, we need to push for their first pick (7 at this stage) so we can try and get Armstrong and Lalor (with the Collingwood pick).

We need to have 3 picks inside 10 and hopefully it looks something like this:
1 - Jagga, FOS, Langford
7 - Armstrong
8 - Lalor
That would be a dream..but...maybe not achievable.
I would prefer Shanahan to Armstrong. Everyone else I love.

Richmond requested both Murphy Reid and Smillie to play for our VFL team but they have chosen to stay with their Coats teams.
Smith is done with his 3 week trial but they’re trying to get FOS back again for one more game down the track.

TIGERS' NO.1 AUDITIONS CONTINUE

RICHMOND has looked at auditioning more potential No.1 draft picks through its VFL program as the Tigers look set for a bumper draft crop, with the club attempting to get classy midfielder Murphy Reid into the team as well.

The Tigers will have top pick contender Harvey Langford play for their VFL side this weekend, following midfield pair Finn O'Sullivan and Jagga Smith in recent weeks.

Smith and O'Sullivan will return to play for the Oakleigh Chargers this weekend, with Smith's three-game run for Richmond now done. O'Sullivan may play one more game for the Tigers but it is to be determined.

The Tigers requested Sandringham Dragons talent Reid to play for them as well in the VFL, however he will play for the Dragons this week. His VFL affiliate is the Sandringham Zebras, so if Reid was to play at the level it would have been for them.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

The Tigers have also had interest in getting Eastern Ranges midfielder Josh Smillie to feature in their VFL side however, like Reid with the Zebras, the Ranges have ties to Box Hill Hawks. Smillie will play out the year with the Ranges.

With the Richmond injury list cutting into the Tigers' VFL squad as well, the club is able to ask for AFL approval to have potential draftees play for them to fill their team line-ups even if their Coates Talent League regions don't match up as affiliates with the Tigers.

Richmond has used the opportunity to trial three of the top contenders for the No.1 choice. – Callum Twomey

buMBftv1.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Took a great mark in the goal square v bigger bodies in country v metro game..last quarter..so can jump.
And..was dynamic all game running all day...got bog...can run and has endurance...maybe just not a sprinter..
Is a very good player..think J Hird.
He took a great mark in the goal square, I remember it well. But it was against Damon Hollow, who is 180cm, and Lennox Hoffman, who is the same height as Langford but was taken out of the contest by Cooper Hynes.

He's a terrific player, don't get me wrong. Don't think Hird is the right comparison though.

Reactions: 2 users
Can an expert explain to me how Ashcroft works for Bris.

If we bid at pick 1 for him what do they have to pay to get him?
If we don’t bid and norf bid at pick 2 what do they have to pay?
What is the likely lowest spot someone would bid for him?

What do they need to get to afford these?

How do we use this to our advantage.

Can we use this advantage multiple times with other father sons too somehow? I’m assuming pick 1 let’s us do something extra because we can get the value of not bidding if Bris trust us and we extract the difference.

Brisbane currently have 14, 52, 67 for 1476 points.

Bid at pick 1 and they need 2400 points
Pick 2 = 2014 points
Pick 3 = 1787 points
Pick 4 = 1627 points
Pick 5 = 1502 points

Brisbane need to trade their pick 14 (worth l1161) for more points as 14 will get eaten up and they are short. They dont want to carry over to next years first round pick. Pick 14 will get more points in a trade for multiple later picks. Can trade future picks or even trade a player for points too.

They don't want Richmond bidding at 1 as that is 400 more points than North at 2 and they dont have.

Richmond has 2,000 points in picks from pick 33 and has built up the picks for this exact type of trade. So at this stage it is in Brisbane's best interest that Richmond don't bid at pick 1 but do a trade for points for pick 14.

Brisbane will take him no mater where he is bid at so the value for Richmond is leverage and Brisbane's pick 14.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
He took a great mark in the goal square, I remember it well. But it was against Damon Hollow, who is 180cm, and Lennox Hoffman, who is the same height as Langford but was taken out of the contest by Cooper Hynes.

He's a terrific player, don't get me wrong. Don't think Hird is the right comparison though.
Fair enough.
I like him...not as pick 1...but would love him as our 2nd or 3rd pick.

In each game I saw him I was really impressed with Bo Allan. What do the sages think of him and more to the point, any risk with go home factor? Would we prefer Victorians?

Reactions: 1 users