2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I'd like to see him tried out with our VFL side.
We should trial every Vic-based prospect we can. Langford and Lalor this week. Armstrong and Berry next week. If we go further, give Guy Smiley and Xavier Lindsay or Murph Reid a go.

Reactions: 6 users
We should trial every Vic-based prospect we can. Langford and Lalor this week. Armstrong and Berry next week. If we go further, give Guy Smiley and Xavier Lindsay or Murph Reid a go.
Can we trial Dow & Sony again

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
There’s only 1 VFL game left before finals
Can we trial players during finals?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Let's get them all down to training. Hell, with our injury list it might even mean we can finally run the sims with the right numbers.

He also seemed to play a lot more forward of centre, almost a flanker role at the weekend with stints in the midfield, probably down to his fitness levels as Redford alluded to. Reckon what we saw at the weekend was only scratching the surface with FOS.
Fos started on ball and got absolutely smashed in the first quater to the point they had to move him forward and bring ross on. Personally i would have given him another go in the last quater but morro didn't. In saying this im still a massive fan of his, he's the most talented all round player in the draft but the fact hes not winning much ball is a worry

Reactions: 3 users
A Dusty only comes around so often.
Perhaps, but there's always plenty of very similar type players available to the meat market most seasons.
Scablett, Clench, Duckwood.
Fyfe.
Bumpmytelly.
The Harley. Massive potential.
Great Horney toads, Rozee, Butters. Perhaps a tier down but still developing.
Penderbury, K Mart Dusty.
Judd. Cuz. Kerr.
Hodgey Podgey, Mitchell. Perhaps a tier down but both premium players.
Peetracca close n Oliver coulda been close but he looks to be singeing his career rep.
Ashcroft. Another massive potential.

The standout KPP, especially forwards are much rarer n so much harder to find.

Do we take the heat off who we pick and put a bid on Ashcroft for number 1?
Bloody hope so. Make Brisvegas pay as close to full value as possible. Kids been heavily in the conversation for top 3 selection and first game in for Brisvegas VFL side he shreds it. Keep the bastards honest.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
This is an interesting option. I think it would be 4 and 26 or 4 and a future 2nd in this years draft.
I don’t think that would be enough. Pick 4 will slide to 6 and 26 will end up in the 30’s. If they enquire I think we’d ask for their F1 as well as 4, with something going back.

Reactions: 2 users
He's quite a few matches in now. Two champs, 3 APS and now one VFL. Did he show aerobic limitations prior to his finger injury?

(Jack Ross has just had 3 months off with a foot injury but ran strongly yesterday.)
True, but Rossy's had five years in the system, FOS is still just a snot nosed kid.

Sandy v Geelong 11am
Oakleigh v Rebels 1.30pm
RSEA double header this Sunday

Reactions: 3 users
Might be wrong thinking, but I'm of the humble opinion that even with pick one. It's still a matter of picking for what the kid's going to be like when he's finished 3 or 4 years in the system.
I don't get to watch or follow the junior players, except for whats on PRE n if they get to play in our magoos team.

I keep getting a little niggle in the back of the grey matter regarding Jagga. He's done the drop school early to have a full on year at setting himself up for footy. Good player, gets plenty of ball n distributes well around the contest, fitness is obviously at premium for a kid. But he's also fairly scrawny n lightweight for an in and under mid at AFL level. Just not certain that in a few years time he's got enough in his game that's going to elevate him again to be premium at AFL level rather than just a good honest player. Enough game to be good / very good for 200 games but perhaps not the kaboom factor you want from pick 1.
Without the personality issues, purely playing perspective I'm seeing a Higlett type scenario, got a head start on the system but levels up fairly early.
Suitcases at Brisvegas, McGrath at Essendrugs. Perhaps not quite a Murphy at Carlscum. All good players but that little bit of premium Ooh la la is just missing.

I don’t think that would be enough. Pick 4 will slide to 6 and 26 will end up in the 30’s. If they enquire I think we’d ask for their F1 as well as 4, with something going back.

Thinking about it if Adelaide wanted to guarantee Draper by taking pick 1 would probably work best to Richmond's advantage only if a 3 way deal could be done with North.

Adelaide pick 4 and 26 + future second round and get pick 1

North pick 2 for pick 4 and future second round (or 26).

Richmond pick 1 for pick 2 and 26 (or future second round).

Assuming a deal is done with Brisbane and Gold Coast for their first round picks beforehand as we need to hold pick 1 for leverage.

Richmond would still get the player they want at pick 2 (as long as it's not Draper) plus an additional second round pick. North would probably get the player they want too.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Murphy Reid is all class. Like him over Lalor who is up there, but his kicking ain’t elite
Use the golf bag analogy with their kicking.
Murphy Reid has Driver through 56d wedge in his bag.
Lalor has Driver through 7 iron. His short iron and wedges don’t see much action. Watching him last weekend v Brighton he’s kicking was fine, more power than feel.

Might be wrong thinking, but I'm of the humble opinion that even with pick one. It's still a matter of picking for what the kid's going to be like when he's finished 3 or 4 years in the system.
I don't get to watch or follow the junior players, except for whats on PRE n if they get to play in our magoos team.

I keep getting a little niggle in the back of the grey matter regarding Jagga. He's done the drop school early to have a full on year at setting himself up for footy. Good player, gets plenty of ball n distributes well around the contest, fitness is obviously at premium for a kid. But he's also fairly scrawny n lightweight for an in and under mid at AFL level. Just not certain that in a few years time he's got enough in his game that's going to elevate him again to be premium at AFL level rather than just a good honest player. Enough game to be good / very good for 200 games but perhaps not the kaboom factor you want from pick 1.
Without the personality issues, purely playing perspective I'm seeing a Higlett type scenario, got a head start on the system but levels up fairly early.
Suitcases at Brisvegas, McGrath at Essendrugs. Perhaps not quite a Murphy at Carlscum. All good players but that little bit of premium Ooh la la is just missing.
Clear up something with Jagga. He finished yr12 in 2023 and did pretty good with his ATAR. Definitely not a all footy knucklehead like a large chunk of the top 30 prospects.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Fos started on ball and got absolutely smashed in the first quater to the point they had to move him forward and bring ross on. Personally i would have given him another go in the last quater but morro didn't. In saying this im still a massive fan of his, he's the most talented all round player in the draft but the fact hes not winning much ball is a worry
As I have mentioned FOS had a lower leg issue early on in the first qtr it was assessed and iced and when he returned to the field he was stationed forward. Jack Ross was brought on to replace Cam Olden who was also having stints in the midfield but did his hamstring in the first qtr

Last edited:
Clear up something with Jagga. He finished yr12 in 2023 and did pretty good with his ATAR. Definitely not a all footy knucklehead like a large chunk of the top 30 prospects.
That's all fine Ghost. I'm not in any way suggesting that he's just a locked in footy knucklehead. What I am querying is the fact that firstly he's pretty much got a development head start on the other kids by dedicating this year pretty much solely to his footy development,as did Higlett ( who I still reckon is a fairly decent player ). So his fitness and his craft would be a tad more developed than the other kids. Secondly he appears a bit to be an accumulative distributor that does lots of small safe work very well. Skinny light body so perhaps doesn't have a pack break capacity or thumping powerful ball distribution. I could be n happy to be proven wrong but I'm thinking perhaps a neat n tidy nibbler rather than a chomp n much player that might already be nearer his development peak than some other players.
Could be just that I'm pissed there's no stand out number 1 pick when it's finally our turn at the lucky dip, but I'm hoping we get some sort of kaboom for our first pick, not just yeah nice.

If Ashcroft is pick 1.
Let's not do any favours for Brisbane.
Bid on him unless they start paying up