2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Draft watchers which tall forward gets taken first?

1. Armstrong
2. Faull
3. Shanahan
4. Sims
I really like Shanahan.
He has all the smarts, mobility,good hands....as close to JR as possible.
Simms is a great goal square FF..and can ruck.
These two are ideal together.

Faull is very big and strong, skilled too.
I thought he looked a bit cumbersome and slow in the Metro v Country game...Bengal disagrees.
Armstrong is very talented...a few cm shorter but will be a star too. He is very one sided, like Cameron of Cats and less mobile but strong hands.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Everyone, I make videos of draft prospects on my youtube channel and I've been noticing an increasing number of viewers originating from here so I thought I'd pop in and say thanks, and perhaps answer any questions you might have about the draft pool.
Welcome. Can you make upper link to a FOS highlights clip that shows what the fuss is about? The bits I've seen haven't lived up to the hype.

• Haha
Hotton I find a very intresting one , love the elite natural talent that can come cheaper due to injury , we may have enough picks to take a punt ? The kid hopefully has a wee bit more dedication off field then his old man
I’d want to have taken a true mid before Hotton. Maybe two.

It’s flanker into mid territory.

Very interesting list compiled by a Big Footy punter.
Going back to the last 20 x years : here is my assessment of the best player from the top-5 picks:

2004 : Buddy 5
2005: Pendles 5
2006: Boak 5
2007: Cotchin 2
2008: NicNat 2
2009: Martin 3
2010: Gaff 4
2011: Coniglio 2
2012: : Whitfield 1
2013: Bont 4
2014: Trac 2
2015: Oliver 4
2016: McCluggage 3
2017: LDU 4
2018: Rankine 3
2019: Jackson 3
2020: JHU 1
2021: Naicos 4
2022: Scheezel 3
2023: Reid 1

Wow that tells you a bit. Basically guaranteed a gun player in one of the top 5 picks and 50% chance of getting a champion

Reactions: 3 users
I’d want to have taken a true mid before Hotton. Maybe two.

It’s flanker into mid territory.

Small sample size, but he was going at 28 possessions a game in Coates this year before injured.

Flanker or not, he was winning a lot of footy. Good signs.

Agree with your point though - Given our midfield needs, we need to focus first and foremost on genuine midfielders with dynamism.

But if we get multiple picks as expected and he slides into that 18+ mark on draft night, he should come into consideration IMO. COs he is a talent and helps address areas we lack.

Last edited:
Why are they saying on Code Sport website (It's paywalled so cannot read article) that it is a terrible year to finish on bottom for the draft.

Is it because there is no clear cut Number 1 pick. If so is there an advantage to swap pick 1 for 2 top ten draft picks (and is that possible or 3 picks inside top 15-20)
Last year there was a clear number 1, and he is already asserting himself this year at West Coast. This year the team finishing 14th has access to as good a player as the team finishing last.

We'd be in a much better drafting position if we had 2 of the first 10 selections, but we don't have that unless we trade someone of quality to get it. Personally I think that only Shai Bolton is worth a top-10 trade, and I'd rather he'd stay with us.

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of reference didn't Cooper and I give you a hint ? i.e. the ability to execute skills and keep possession. Critical in modern day football.

Now what compromises 's your "competitiveness" ? Is it chasing arses all day because you can't keep possession ? Great.

C'mon. What actually is "competitiveness" ?

Talent (skill level etc) trumps "competitiveness" in order of priority Nobets.

Circling back to that after family stuff all weekend. Am sure other posters are thrilled ha!

To close this out, we all know enough about footy to know skills, drive (competitiveness), athleticism etc are all crucially important in the makeup of a player. And yes you need a very high baseline of talent (skills) to be an AFL player.

We just have a slightly different weighting on those. That's cool.

Reckon a good test case on how that balance sits is Tobie Travaglia. He is adequate in all areas of his footy (skills, athlete etc) but looks to have elite competitiveness (meaning - stronger desire to be more successful than others), wants the ball in big moments, is a leader etc.

As a result (from memory) you have him 20-25 in this draft. Leysy has him 10-12.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Last year there was a clear number 1, and he is already asserting himself this year at West Coast. This year the team finishing 14th has access to as good a player as the team finishing last.

We'd be in a much better drafting position if we had 2 of the first 10 selections, but we don't have that unless we trade someone of quality to get it. Personally I think that only Shai Bolton is worth a top-10 trade, and I'd rather he'd stay with us.

Normally you would be right but if Suns want Rioli they need to make the offer very good as he is contraced and we would like to keep him. Their first pick right now has to be on the table as we as one of the next two.
Just wondering if the Suns would want multiple later picks with Rioli and we get their first three picks. Could be possible or use our 2025 second round somehow
Anyway that would be pick 6
Then if Bolton goes, again he is contracted and wanted by us. Their first round #8 needs to be on the table with one or two of their next three - being 13, 16, 25
So potentially there is two extra top 10 picks.

And who currently has pick 14 = Geelong

Welcome. Can you make upper link to a FOS highlights clip that shows what the fuss is about? The bits I've seen haven't lived up to the hype.
He hasn't fired a shot this year, that's no secret. Hindered a lot by injury. Best I can offer is the stuff I did of him last year when he was at his best:

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Going back to the last 20 x years : here is my assessment of the best player from the top-5 picks:

Wow that tells you a bit. Basically guaranteed a gun player in one of the top 5 picks and 50% chance of getting a champion

yes, but pick 1 could have taken 100% of those players

we all wanted Cotchy in 2007. Pick 1 would have taken the vagaries of Carlton out of the equation.

Last edited:

What that tells me is you don’t necessarily need pick 1 unless its bloody obvious

What that tells me is you don’t necessarily need pick 1 unless its bloody obvious

I think this logic is flawed.

you want Pick 1 and the shrewdest recruiter out of the first five picks.

In the case where the best player isn't obvious,

he wont be more obvious at pick 5.

Reactions: 5 users
Circling back to that after family stuff all weekend. Am sure other posters are thrilled ha!

To close this out, we all know enough about footy to know skills, drive (competitiveness), athleticism etc are all crucially important in the makeup of a player. And yes you need a very high baseline of talent (skills) to be an AFL player.

We just have a slightly different weighting on those. That's cool.

Reckon a good test case on how that balance sits is Tobie Travaglia. He is adequate in all areas of his footy (skills, athlete etc) but looks to have elite competitiveness (meaning - stronger desire to be more successful than others), wants the ball in big moments, is a leader etc.

As a result (from memory) you have him 20-25 in this draft. Leysy has him 10-12.
Whilst not doubting his engine, work rate etc we would be adding another player with highly questionable foot skills to a list that is already riddled with them.

Reactions: 1 users
I think this logic is flawed.

you want Pick 1 and the shrewdest recruiter out of the first five picks.

In the case where the best player isn't obvious,

he wont be more obvious at pick 5.
When you say “we” wanted Cotchy, who are you talking about? PRE’s Illuminati? There is no evidence we wouldn’t have picked Kruezer as he was universally rated pick 1. Maybe we were lucky we had pick 2 to pick up the glorious crumbs.

Working off the list @thedog provided, your logic is that the recruiters got it wrong in many cases.
Which is factually correct. In hindsight.
Luck and development has a huge part to play. The numbers suggest having pick 1 is no guarantee which is my point. You go for a player and hope you’re smarter than everyone else. And the same will apply this year. Pick 1 to pick 4 look like a raffle. The numbers could also suggest you split number 1 if you think your player is still available around pick 3 or 4.

Whilst not doubting his engine, work rate etc we would be adding another player with highly questionable foot skills to a list that is already riddled with them.

That was last weeks match,in bad conditions,but yeah his kicking is indifferent .
Footnote ,Zayden Lockwood our NGA in the ruck no44 for Brndigo,,you can see he needs to beef up.