2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

yes, a 250 game clearance machine at worst IMO.

whereas at worst, Smilie was a hive mind manchild who ends up at Boxhill,

FOS is a burnt out Tom Boyd story with shattered hands, and Sam Lalor brings a decade of Jake Stringer/Cam Raynor (Bailey Humphrey) promise, largely inside 50.

I know, I know, its unlikely on all counts, ion several levels,

im just weighing risk.

I Think Draper carries the second lowest risk of the top 5

we are not at a risk-taking stage of a rebuild.

All going well, That will be in the Tassy years 26/7
Who do you think North will take at #2?
And is it worthwhile for us to Target WC pick 3 ?

Who do you think North will take at #2?
And is it worthwhile for us to Target WC pick 3 ?

Trainor makes the most sense for Norf I reckon.

But Clarko is batshit crazy.

If you had an undertaking that pick 1 would be used for Smilie, its extremely worthwhile splitting the pick.

even if Norf didn't take Trainor,

your still likely gonna get two of Jagga, Draper, FOS, Lalor,

if Smilie goes at 1.

Josh Smilie is better than Harley Reid, Bont and Cripps put together :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Trainor makes the most sense for Norf I reckon.

But Clarko is batshit crazy.

If you had an undertaking that pick 1 would be used for Smilie, its extremely worthwhile splitting the pick.

even if Norf didn't take Trainor,

your still likely gonna get two of Jagga, Draper, FOS, Lalor,

if Smilie goes at 1.

Josh Smilie is better than Harley Reid, Bont and Cripps put together :cool:
Got a feeling the Saints will target Norths pick.Trainor would go around pick 5ish.

Reactions: 2 users
Whilst not doubting his engine, work rate etc we would be adding another player with highly questionable foot skills to a list that is already riddled with them.

Let's agree to disagree where we place him.

He'll be an interesting case study as he develops in the AFL.

Glad FOS turned it in on in school footy. BUT, need to see that at Coates level for the needle to start to move towards pick 1.
Agree Scoop,with the way he moved and turned on a dime that would translate to any level.

We’ve got that many picks, I’d be inclined to bring in key two forwards. A monster and a more mobile type.
Lynch and Jack went alright together. Simms and Faul has a nice feel about it.
If we do end up with 6-7 picks under 25, my wish list is
2 skilled mids
2 big bodied mids
2 key forwards
1 wing/half back distributor

I think this is entirely achievable and would be life changing for the list

FOS is a beautiful mover in traffic, the sidestep is Pendelburyesque.
Leadership written all over him.

Reactions: 5 users
If we do end up with 6-7 picks under 25, my wish list is
2 skilled mids
2 big bodied mids
2 key forwards
1 wing/half back distributor

I think this is entirely achievable and would be life changing for the list
IMHO you’ve left out a glaring weakness in our list.
An overhead marking, mobile half forward who can kick goals from range. Think Jamie Elliot/Alan Didak/Nathan Brown/Kayne Pettifer.

An overhead marking, mobile half forward who can kick goals from range. Think Jamie Elliot/Alan Didak/Nathan Brown/Kayne Pettifer.
That's Joe Berry.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
How about Sam Davidson?

How about Sam Davidson?
May not be quick/agile enough.
Supreme tank. See him as a winger. One that can also mark like Bryan Woods are also highly valuable. It was a no brainer drafting him mid year.
Opportunity missed

According to Montagna on Fox Footy's First Crack:

Players drafted from the top 20 under 25 years of age:

North Melb. 11
Gold Coast 10
GWS 10
Fremantle 9
Hawthorn 8
Richmond 2 (Gibcus, Brown)

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

North Melb. 11
Gold Coast 10
GWS 10
Fremantle 9
Hawthorn 8
Yep and one of ours has had two season ending injuries in three years. I'm all for trading to load up on top 20 picks in what is a very even and deep draft.

Was thinking about Jagger on the weekend, he couldn't have done much more. Every level he has played, he wins the footy. And lots of it. Doesn't waste it. Creative by hand, spread from contest, wins his own footy. Has been pulled apart mercilessly on these boards because he isn't the flavor of the month. Not a clear-cut number one but he certainly deserves more respect than he has been given on here.

Sorry Scooper, I certainly didn't mean any disrespect of Jagga at all. If we pick him at #1 I'd be very very happy, I just like Draper a little bit more. (y)

Sorry Scooper, I certainly didn't mean any disrespect of Jagga at all. If we pick him at #1 I'd be very very happy, I just like Draper a little bit more. (y)
No sweat TT, that's a totally fair and justifiable viewpoint. I'm a Draper fan as well. I don't think there is a clear cut number 1 at this stage all the lads have cases. It's more the nitpicking and dismissal of everything Jagger has accomplished. You can't write it all off. He has as much of a case, if not more than others.

Last two AA captains, Ryley Sanders and Will Ashcroft. Jagger is in good company.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree.

Private School footy is a couple of AFL players running around against a heap of budding Audi Salesmen and AFL executives

Yes, you cant do much more than dominate,

But a pick 1 should dominate plumbers and bricklayers with beards at the highest possible level they can play

Didn't Cotch play more school footy than TAC back in his day? If so, obviously didn't do him any harm.

• Haha

North Melb. 11
Gold Coast 10
GWS 10
Fremantle 9
Hawthorn 8
This is why blair hartley needs to wake up and quickly and forget this geelong *smile* thought the club had that we can somehow not bottom out. Every man and his dog can see we need to get value for players while we can and rebuild. Lets hope were not run by incompetent morons. (I dont have great hopes)

Reactions: 3 users
Surely he's tanking.
Whats the Pies first pick?
Pretty sure Smillie was sick. Didn't check into the game until 15 mins into the first quarter. Sat on the bench for 15 mins of Q2 as well. Played a little more game time in the second half but just didn't look right.

This is why blair hartley needs to wake up and quickly and forget this geelong *smile* thought the club had that we can somehow not bottom out. Every man and his dog can see we need to get value for players while we can and rebuild. Lets hope were not run by incompetent morons. (I dont have great hopes)
Oh yes because those clubs with a gluttony of picks are winning premiership after premiership.

It’s takes more than just a *smile* load of early draft picks to win a flag.

Reactions: 6 users
Oh yes because those clubs with a gluttony of picks are winning premiership after premiership.

It’s takes more than just a *smile* load of early draft picks to win a flag.

Gold Coast - 25 top 10 picks in 10 years (not first round picks, top 10 picks), never finished higher than 12th.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users