2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

No No No more references to Hunks. Or now named by someone the SuperFlunks.

@Dyer'ere is already facing a ban for his part. Let's not add to it.

I suggested the "Rating The Super Hunks" thread should be renamed "Hating the Super Runts" - prescient and witty, at least I thought it was

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Surprised the Antsy one hasn't lodged a complaint about this ad. Surely there's some sort of legislation about sooling a massive feral attack animal onto a bunch of harmless n defenceless ants like that.
I heartily endorse this ad and everyone in it

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
That was last weeks match,in bad conditions,but yeah his kicking is indifferent .
Footnote ,Zayden Lockwood our NGA in the ruck no44 for Brndigo,,you can see he needs to beef up.
The conditions really don't impact relative to these disposals. Hack dumps. I think the commentator refers to that as well.

Happy for him to be a competitive player for someone else. Richmond desperately needs players with increased skill and decision making levels that can hit targets.

Our lack of it is absolutely smashing us to pieces.

On that front, I have your boy Lalor, Berry, FOS, Smillie, Trainor, Reid, Lindsay, Hotton, Shanahan, Oliver all at the front of the pack where uplift in execution is concerned. A few others are also acceptable enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
When you say “we” wanted Cotchy, who are you talking about? PRE’s Illuminati? There is no evidence we wouldn’t have picked Kruezer as he was universally rated pick 1. Maybe we were lucky we had pick 2 to pick up the glorious crumbs.

Working off the list @thedog provided, your logic is that the recruiters got it wrong in many cases.
Which is factually correct. In hindsight.
Luck and development has a huge part to play. The numbers suggest having pick 1 is no guarantee which is my point. You go for a player and hope you’re smarter than everyone else. And the same will apply this year. Pick 1 to pick 4 look like a raffle. The numbers could also suggest you split number 1 if you think your player is still available around pick 3 or 4.
Pretty sure Francis Jackson was all in on Cotchy either way.

We were desperate for a ruck man back then but I believe he would have taken Cotch either way

When you say “we” wanted Cotchy, who are you talking about? PRE’s Illuminati? There is no evidence we wouldn’t have picked Kruezer as he was universally rated pick 1. Maybe we were lucky we had pick 2 to pick up the glorious crumbs.

Working off the list @thedog provided, your logic is that the recruiters got it wrong in many cases.
Which is factually correct. In hindsight.
Luck and development has a huge part to play. The numbers suggest having pick 1 is no guarantee which is my point. You go for a player and hope you’re smarter than everyone else. And the same will apply this year. Pick 1 to pick 4 look like a raffle. The numbers could also suggest you split number 1 if you think your player is still available around pick 3 or 4.

Yeah i meant PRE wanted cotchy.

Agree the data says the best player can come equally from picks 1-5, even more likely >1,

But with pick 1, its all in your control,

Including splitting the pick, false intel, and the first pick on day 2

You set the agenda. Its a bit like serving first in a fifth set.

If it was actually a raffle, youde happily swap pick 1 for pick 5

Pick 1 is better to have than pick 2

But i agree, its a good year to split the pick and do a jack reiwoldt pick.

And if you split and Smilie goes 1,

Its a 2Win:lose imo.

Reactions: 2 users
From the little I've seen, I'd prefer Draper before Jagga or Smillie. FOS is an unknown quantity atm. He's been dogged by injury this year which may affect his standing in the draft.

Reactions: 2 users
Very interesting list compiled by a Big Footy punter.
Going back to the last 20 x years : here is my assessment of the best player from the top-5 picks:

2004 : Buddy 5
2005: Pendles 5
2006: Boak 5
2007: Cotchin 2
2008: NicNat 2
2009: Martin 3
2010: Gaff 4
2011: Coniglio 2
2012: : Whitfield 1
2013: Bont 4
2014: Trac 2
2015: Oliver 4
2016: McCluggage 3
2017: LDU 4
2018: Rankine 3
2019: Jackson 3
2020: JHU 1
2021: Naicos 4
2022: Scheezel 3
2023: Reid 1

Wow that tells you a bit. Basically guaranteed a gun player in one of the top 5 picks and 50% chance of getting a champion
Where's Watts?
Lounder?
Banik??

Glad FOS turned it in on in school footy. BUT, need to see that at Coates level for the needle to start to move towards pick 1.

Reactions: 3 users
Glad FOS turned it in on in school footy. BUT, need to see that at Coates level for the needle to start to move towards pick 1.
Agree.

Private School footy is a couple of AFL players running around against a heap of budding Audi Salesmen and AFL executives

Yes, you cant do much more than dominate,

But a pick 1 should dominate plumbers and bricklayers with beards at the highest possible level they can play

Was thinking about Jagger on the weekend, he couldn't have done much more. Every level he has played, he wins the footy. And lots of it. Doesn't waste it. Creative by hand, spread from contest, wins his own footy. Has been pulled apart mercilessly on these boards because he isn't the flavor of the month. Not a clear-cut number one but he certainly deserves more respect than he has been given on here.

Reactions: 16 users
Was thinking about Jagger on the weekend, he couldn't have done much more. Every level he has played, he wins the footy. And lots of it. Doesn't waste it. Creative by hand, spread from contest, wins his own footy. Has been pulled apart mercilessly on these boards because he isn't the flavor of the month. Not a clear-cut number one but he certainly deserves more respect than he has been given on here.

Personally I'd be happy with any of FOS, Draper or Jagga at Pick 1. I reckon they are all safe bets to make it as very good AFL players.

What we need is for GC to blow the end of the year and finish below Saints. We can certainly help them by losing to them this week, but their % took an almighty whack yesterday. If we can then get GC's 1st, then we are ahead of the Saints and their compo pick too. Pick 5 would be very nice, whether as part of a Rioli trade or independent of that. Its why I want West Coasts 2nd as part of the Baker trade, as I reckon it gives us options to trade into next year, potentially Freo's F1 if Bolton goes there.

Having Pick 1 and Pick 5 (of the open draft) would be perfect for us. 2 of FOS, Draper, Smith and Lalor assuming Trainor goes to North.

Reactions: 6 users
He gets it on ave what 30 times.CP-18
Not sure if you seen the final centre bounce yesterday in the Ess/Freo match.But if we had Jagga you'd be pretty confident in getting the centre clearence just like Merret did just on the averages alone.

That footage against St Kevins is from April.

He played against Haileybury on the weekend, for which there isn't any reports yet on how he went, as far as I can see from limited searching. Might be something later in the week.

On form, empirically, he is a clear cut No.1.

on top of his obvious clearance ability, evasiveness, competitiveness and creativity,

hes extremely consistent and durable.

hardly missed, or not dominated a game, for 3 years.

that clearly sets him apart as a standout No.1 IMO.

thats not to necessarily say he will turn out THE best player in this draft,

but he is a bit of an elephant in the room, no brainer, first pick,

with extremely low risk, who many are searching for faults through a magnifying glass.

Which is what you should do with a top pick.

Draper a clear No.2 due to all the above reasons, but a smidge behind Jagga on his 2024 champs.

I'll say it again, Durability is a very underrated quality and a durable 18yo is usually a durable 25yo

(the reverse isn't true, an injured 18, wont be an injury prone 25 yo, but you apply sieves to sort an even top 5 to minimise risk, and durability and consistency are prominent sieves)

Last edited:
He gets it on ave what 30 times.CP-18
Not sure if you seen the final centre bounce yesterday in the Ess/Freo match.But if we had Jagga you'd be pretty confident in getting the centre clearence just like Merret did just on the averages alone.

yes, a 250 game clearance machine at worst IMO.

whereas at worst, Smilie was a hive mind manchild who ends up at Boxhill,

FOS is a burnt out Tom Boyd story with shattered hands, and Sam Lalor brings a decade of Jake Stringer/Cam Raynor (Bailey Humphrey) promise, largely inside 50.

I know, I know, its unlikely on all counts, ion several levels,

im just weighing risk.

I Think Draper carries the second lowest risk of the top 5

we are not at a risk-taking stage of a rebuild.

All going well, That will be in the Tassy years 26/7

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Personally I'd be happy with any of FOS, Draper or Jagga at Pick 1. I reckon they are all safe bets to make it as very good AFL players.

What we need is for GC to blow the end of the year and finish below Saints. We can certainly help them by losing to them this week, but their % took an almighty whack yesterday. If we can then get GC's 1st, then we are ahead of the Saints and their compo pick too. Pick 5 would be very nice, whether as part of a Rioli trade or independent of that. Its why I want West Coasts 2nd as part of the Baker trade, as I reckon it gives us options to trade into next year, potentially Freo's F1 if Bolton goes there.

Having Pick 1 and Pick 5 (of the open draft) would be perfect for us. 2 of FOS, Draper, Smith and Lalor assuming Trainor goes to North.
Ive been contemplating this for awhile
It may not help us.

Where is Lombard rated? 3-5 ?
GC might be tempted to hold pick 5

Ive been contemplating this for awhile
It may not help us.

Where is Lombard rated? 3-5 ?
GC might be tempted to hold pick 5

we just tell Cal Twomey we are going to bid on Lombard at 1.

fly up and interview him.

I hope we spread more misinformation than a Russian Robot Spam factory