2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I find him hard to place. I have him behind FOS, Lalor, Ashcroft, Lombard, Draper, Jagga and Langford, and Hotton without the knee would probably be ahead too. Maybe Lindsay and Reid as well.
Hotton I find a very intresting one , love the elite natural talent that can come cheaper due to injury , we may have enough picks to take a punt ? The kid hopefully has a wee bit more dedication off field then his old man

Reactions: 1 users
Hotton I find a very intresting one , love the elite natural talent that can come cheaper due to injury , we may have enough picks to take a punt ? The kid hopefully has a wee bit more dedication off field then his old man
Yeah if we get 4 in the first 15 I'd be very tempted to use one on him. The other I forgot was Bo Allan. Big, fast, aggressive, defensively-minded mid.

Hi Everyone, I make videos of draft prospects on my youtube channel and I've been noticing an increasing number of viewers originating from here so I thought I'd pop in and say thanks, and perhaps answer any questions you might have about the draft pool.

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
Yeah if we get 4 in the first 15 I'd be very tempted to use one on him. The other I forgot was Bo Allan. Big, fast, aggressive, defensively-minded bo Alla

Yeah if we get 4 in the first 15 I'd be very tempted to use one on him. The other I forgot was Bo Allan. Big, fast, aggressive, defensively-minded mid.
Bo Allan in my top five for the games I’ve seen. Looked really good.

Reactions: 1 user
Of all the top-rated kids, Guy Smillie is the biggest conundrum and the biggest risk for me.

Yes, he has the size, the BWA and the skills. Those are tantalising. But there are questions too: Does he have the power? Why does he go to ground so much? He looks slow and perennially in third gear?

He could be Paddy Cripps. He could be a bust.

The 'safest' are FOS, Draper, Jagga. Can't see them not becoming good AFL players at the absolute least. Of these, FOS to me has the highest ceiling: he's classier than Draper, more brilliant and physical than Jagga. I keep saying it, but he's got a lot of Cotch about him. Not sure about you, but I'm taking Cotch over Cripps any day.

Before bengal protests, Lalor is in there somewhere too. His ceiling is probably as high as FOS'.
Reckon there is a good case for us going the “safe” option rather than trying to pick the best player.

With the impending arrival of the Tassie team and the lack of quality young talent already on our list, the last thing we need is to draft the next Paddy Dow or Tsatas.

Of all the top-rated kids, Guy Smillie is the biggest conundrum and the biggest risk for me.

Yes, he has the size, the BWA and the skills. Those are tantalising. But there are questions too: Does he have the power? Why does he go to ground so much? He looks slow and perennially in third gear?

He could be Paddy Cripps. He could be a bust.

The 'safest' are FOS, Draper, Jagga. Can't see them not becoming good AFL players at the absolute least. Of these, FOS to me has the highest ceiling: he's classier than Draper, more brilliant and physical than Jagga. I keep saying it, but he's got a lot of Cotch about him. Not sure about you, but I'm taking Cotch over Cripps any day.

Before bengal protests, Lalor is in there somewhere too. His ceiling is probably as high as FOS'.
FOS moves like LDU

Avid draft watchers, please give me your well researched opinion on Smilie. Done some of own video homework and he could be anything. The tall midfielder we’ve never had. Looks a decent kick. What’s he doing wrong to fall off the charts? Like I said, a recruiting mate had him as his top pick 2 months ago.

Hi Everyone, I make videos of draft prospects on my youtube channel and I've been noticing an increasing number of viewers originating from here so I thought I'd pop in and say thanks, and perhaps answer any questions you might have about the draft pool.
Welcome to PRE mate.

Looking forward to you joining in the chatter :)

Reactions: 4 users
IMO our most important positional need moving forward is a gun key power forward and if Sims is as good as those three, especially Lynch, we take him at number 1. There is no standout midfielder this year, as in previous years, but they run deep in depth as everyone is saying. You build great sides around one or two gun forwards so we go Sims if he is that good, can’t risk other sides picking him up later. We have Balta and Gibcus as our key backs and both could also be swung forward at times if needed. Then with our other picks in the draft just load up on midfielders and small forwards because from what everyone is saying there are plenty of them this year with similar talent. We have enough back flankers and wingers as it is. Any other holes in our list can be filled via recruiting from other clubs or rookie draft. Go the gun athletic power key forward as our first pick I say.

I hear ya TP,

but the very real danger, is you get Jon Patton,

and nothing more than a tsunami of dickpicks

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
From what I’m reading The general consensus from PREs draft watchers is the top 5 or 6 are elite and then it’s a good depth of quality , so it would appear busting our way into having a second top 5 pick would be paramount. With quality players “ rumoured to be looking at moving on , I’d imagine we’d have to be a chance at bunching up some picks to move up.

At last.
Someone who knows what they’re talking about.
Welcome

• Haha
Bo Allan in my top five for the games I’ve seen. Looked really good.

As that taller midfielder looks more of a mid to me than Smillie at the next level. What I've seen, looks a bit like a Will Day clone.

So they changed after dogs got JUH in 2020,

And changed it back for 2024?

Jeez, what a *smile* circus,

They cant even communicate rule reversions clearly
Melbourne would be pissed. They developed Mac Andrew under their NGA and lost access to him when he ended up a top 10 pick.

Smillie Vanilli 10 disposals for Eastern yesterday. Stood in the goal square quite a lot apparently.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
IMHO we are taking 2 KP players in our top 4 picks this draft

Guaranteed

From what I’m reading The general consensus from PREs draft watchers is the top 5 or 6 are elite and then it’s a good depth of quality , so it would appear busting our way into having a second top 5 pick would be paramount. With quality players “ rumoured to be looking at moving on , I’d imagine we’d have to be a chance at bunching up some picks to move up.
I dont exactly read it that way myself. Last year we had a top 10 that eventually became a top 11, and then there was something of a cliff like drop off in talent after that.

Its not the same case this year. We have a large and deep top group. I have 4 in my "tier 1" group.
1. Sid Draper
2. Jagga Smith
3. Josh Smillie
4. Finn O'Sullivan

And then there's very little drop off at all to a "tier 1.5" kind of group with Levi, Lalor, Trainor, Lombard, Langford, Lindsay, Reid, Allan, Hotton, Travaglia.

And even after that its not much of a gap to guys like Kako, Armstrong, Berry.

To my eyes, this draft is flat and SUPER deep. I think the best strategy for the Tigers is to get as many swings at it inside the top 15ish as possible.

Reactions: 17 users
Cannot and must not take any risks unless the club has done a mountain of analysis work pre injury, I’d be leaving Hotton to a club that can afford a blind swing. We can’t.
Prefer taking a tall early if we’re into speculation.
FOS/Draper, Lalor/Smith, Reid/Allen and best tall for our first 4 inside 15 and another tall outside.
Bang.

Reactions: 2 users
I dont exactly read it that way myself. Last year we had a top 10 that eventually became a top 11, and then there was something of a cliff like drop off in talent after that.

Its not the same case this year. We have a large and deep top group. I have 4 in my "tier 1" group.
1. Sid Draper
2. Jagga Smith
3. Josh Smillie
4. Finn O'Sullivan

And then there's very little drop off at all to a "tier 1.5" kind of group with Levi, Lalor, Trainor, Lombard, Langford, Lindsay, Reid, Allan, Hotton, Travaglia.

And even after that its not much of a gap to guys like Kako, Armstrong, Berry.

To my eyes, this draft is flat and SUPER deep. I think the best strategy for the Tigers is to get as many swings at it inside the top 15ish as possible.
Like any opinion FSG