2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Smillie Vanilli 10 disposals for Eastern yesterday. Stood in the goal square quite a lot apparently.
Sounds like the ol' "hide the player we want in the goal square to make him look a dud" positioning.

Reactions: 3 users
Melbourne would be pissed. They developed Mac Andrew under their NGA and lost access to him when he ended up a top 10 pick.

Mac Andrew was asked if he would have still been playing Aussie Rules if not for the NGA, he said yeah he has grown up with the game and had been playing it since he was 4 years of Age.
NGA is a rort in the main IMO opinion, what about Father Son's that qualify for both FS or for another club's NGA, it is a joke.

Reactions: 14 users
Avid draft watchers, please give me your well researched opinion on Smilie. Done some of own video homework and he could be anything. The tall midfielder we’ve never had. Looks a decent kick. What’s he doing wrong to fall off the charts? Like I said, a recruiting mate had him as his top pick 2 months ago.
To my eyes Smillie looks too slow with not enough agility, could end up getting caught heaps.

Reactions: 2 users
If we’re after a tall mid From what I’ve seen prefer Langford to Smillie
As K3 suggested maybe Smillie has been told to lay low to avoid being drafted early

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was trying to think what year's draft pool is similar to this year and I reckon its 2017. I don't think it has any generational talent like Dusty, Cotch or Bont but it has lots of depth. There will be some really high level players taken in the twenties and thirties. I don't think there will be as many complete busts as usual in the top thirty.

Reactions: 1 user
Cannot and must not take any risks unless the club has done a mountain of analysis work pre injury, I’d be leaving Hotton to a club that can afford a blind swing. We can’t.
Correct.

We’ve recently recruited players with previous ACLs who have just redone them.

He’s a great talent but we don’t have that luxury.

Why are they saying on Code Sport website (It's paywalled so cannot read article) that it is a terrible year to finish on bottom for the draft.

Is it because there is no clear cut Number 1 pick. If so is there an advantage to swap pick 1 for 2 top ten draft picks (and is that possible or 3 picks inside top 15-20)

Sid Draper 26 touches ,1 gl.playing 4 west Adelaide in Sanfl,round 16 ,his side winning by 3 goals.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I dont exactly read it that way myself. Last year we had a top 10 that eventually became a top 11, and then there was something of a cliff like drop off in talent after that.

Its not the same case this year. We have a large and deep top group. I have 4 in my "tier 1" group.
1. Sid Draper
2. Jagga Smith
3. Josh Smillie
4. Finn O'Sullivan

And then there's very little drop off at all to a "tier 1.5" kind of group with Levi, Lalor, Trainor, Lombard, Langford, Lindsay, Reid, Allan, Hotton, Travaglia.

And even after that its not much of a gap to guys like Kako, Armstrong, Berry.

To my eyes, this draft is flat and SUPER deep. I think the best strategy for the Tigers is to get as many swings at it inside the top 15ish as possible.

welcome FSG,

agree, except

1. id replace Smilie in tier 1 with Lombard,

and put him down into your tier 3 (major)

2. push Berry up into your tier 1.5 (minor)

agree the high end talent is very good and then goes deep. There's very good players with exposed form into the 30's,

which will push some very good players into the 40's

Last edited:
Mac Andrew was asked if he would have still been playing Aussie Rules if not for the NGA, he said yeah he has grown up with the game and had been playing it since he was 4 years of Age.
NGA is a rort in the main IMO opinion, what about Father Son's that qualify for both FS or for another club's NGA, it is a joke.
Yeah it is. We have that situation ourselves with Andrew Walker's son. He's in our NGA zone

jaggies agility and tank will be very similar.

Its a really tough choice
Got to admit have barely seen Fos and after watching his highlights today, he's a ridiculous talent,definitely most talented kid and although jagga will be a a A grade mid and Sid Draper excellent also with burst pace just enough to get out of traffic, if I was projecting who has the most talent,this kid Finn brought back memories of ridiculous talent like Robbie flower and garry Wilson.