2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

So they changed after dogs got JUH in 2020,

And changed it back for 2024?

Jeez, what a *smile* circus,

They cant even communicate rule reversions clearly
no its pretty clear in the documentation

Reactions: 1 user
Gonna be a lot of pissed off people on this site when we draft Smillie at pick 1.
Not me , seen enough drafts and mock drafts to know there is no guarantee on how good or bad any draft pick can be

Think Smillie is a great example, could end up been a 300 game superstar , could also end up just been ok.

There is every likelihood in 2 years from now we will have drafted 8 very high quality young players.
In 4 years we will have 10.
Almost half the side...skilled,young,fit and hungry exciting young Tigers.
We will be competing again around this time I believe....it will take an active and aggressive trade and draft THIS year.
Do nothing will get nothing.
I am sure Blair has planned for this . Coming last is a necessary cost. Means nothing to me....future success means everything.
Next year is of no consequence...we will be last or close to it. 2028 and thereafter.
B:Vlas Balta Smith
HB:Brown Gibcus Treasize
C:Banks ND Ralph Smith
HF:Campbell ND ND
F:MRJ ND Lefau
R:Nank Hopper Taranto
I/C: ND ND ND ND

Our backline looks settled.
Fwd line KP still a worry.
Hence we should chase Cadman.
Can't expect a KP teen too step into CHF/Fwd straight away unless threy're already of a Lynch quality

I agree in that scenario. I am saying that if he will be as good as Lynch, as some have inferred, he should be our first pick. He is obviously then not as good if he goes late first round. He will be no Richo or Buddy or Lynch. More Logan McDonald and there is no way I would squander our first pick on a player like that.
Simms as good as Lynch?
Not sure anyone has said that.

Of all the top-rated kids, Guy Smillie is the biggest conundrum and the biggest risk for me.

Yes, he has the size, the BWA and the skills. Those are tantalising. But there are questions too: Does he have the power? Why does he go to ground so much? He looks slow and perennially in third gear?

He could be Paddy Cripps. He could be a bust.

The 'safest' are FOS, Draper, Jagga. Can't see them not becoming good AFL players at the absolute least. Of these, FOS to me has the highest ceiling: he's classier than Draper, more brilliant and physical than Jagga. I keep saying it, but he's got a lot of Cotch about him. Not sure about you, but I'm taking Cotch over Cripps any day.

Before bengal protests, Lalor is in there somewhere too. His ceiling is probably as high as FOS'.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Of all the top-rated kids, Guy Smillie is the biggest conundrum and the biggest risk for me.

Yes, he has the size, the BWA and the skills. Those are tantalising. But there are questions too: Does he have the power? Why does he go to ground so much? He looks slow and perennially in third gear?

The 'safest' are FOS, Draper, Jagga. Can't see them not becoming good AFL players at the absolute least. Of these, FOS to me has the highest ceiling: he's classier than Draper, more brilliant and physical than Jagga. I keep saying it, but he's got a lot of Cotch about him. Not sure about you, but I'm taking Cotch over Cripps any day.

Before bengal protests, Lalor is in there somewhere too. His ceiling is probably as high as FOS'.
Then we should cover our bases and go after 3 from WC.
If the Rioli trade happens.
Pick 7 & Baker for 3 & f2 should be the plan.
Pick-1(Jagga/Draper/Fos)
Pick 2(North)-Smillie
Pick 3-(Jagga or Draper)

Glad you mentioned Lalor Spooky ,because he is the man .:LOL:
Im just wondering who we take with our second pick ,be it around 10 for Bakes .Berry,Lindsay,Trevaglia,???????????
Not much love on here for Faull he is the best CHF type among this years crop ,has all the attributes to play AFL,,and l read a comment on here that said he's slow ,,obviously haven't seen him play much.

Glad you mentioned Lalor Spooky ,because he is the man .:LOL:
Im just wondering who we take with our second pick ,be it around 10 for Bakes .Berry,Lindsay,Trevaglia,???????????
Not much love on here for Faull he is the best CHF type among this years crop ,has all the attributes to play AFL,,and l read a comment on here that said he's slow ,,obviously haven't seen him play much.
Impossible to predict who'll be available or who we'll take, it's so even. We won't be short of options, that's for sure.

In the little I’ve seen of Guy spook, my querie is he the hardness needed to be an elite AFL mid or does he have that millisecond hesitation at the contest that makes the difference between elite and good ?

Not that you’d want to give up pick one for a half back , though Whitfield is pretty good , however I could see Guy been an elite half back if needed.

In the little I’ve seen of Guy spook, my querie is he the hardness needed to be an elite AFL mid or does he have that millisecond hesitation at the contest that makes the difference between elite and good ?

Not that you’d want to give up pick one for a half back , though Whitfield is pretty good , however I could see Guy been an elite half back if needed.
Hmmm,he played a game in the back line ,and was good .
He is a strong mark on a lead ,but can't get high off the ground in a aerial contest,although Dusty doesn't either.
I just wonder is a 194cm player a genuine mid ,they are rare ,,the bont is more athletic and agile,plus is highly dangerous up forward ,Cripps has really good endurance,plus is good overhead and can kick goals up forward.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmm,he played a game in the back line ,and was good .
He is a strong mark on a lead ,but can't get high off the ground in a aerial contest,although Dusty doesn't either.
I just wonder is a 194cm player a genuine mid ,they are rare ,,the bont is more athletic and agile,plus is highly dangerous up forward ,Cripps has really good endurance,plus is good overhead and can kick goals up forward.
What’s your thoughts on his hardness bt ?

2 of the very best going around , in fact I’d say the Bont is arguably the best over the past few seasons

Yeah, there was one glaring example against SA when Draper just wanted it more, ripped the ball from him, spun away, chained up with two handballs that led to a goal while Guy was left flat-footed. I don't think it's necessarily hardness, I think he's careful not to fumble below his knees so doesn't attack the ground ball at pace like the smaller guys. That's why he goes to ground too.

For HBF I reckon you want either run, carry, deliver a la Rioli/Blakey/Houston, or intercept like Vlastuin.

My preferred position for Smillie is 'on another team'.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, there was one glaring example against SA when Draper just wanted it more, ripped the ball from him, spun away, chained up with two handballs that led to a goal while Guy was left flat-footed. I don't think it's necessarily hardness, I thin he's careful not to fumble below his knees so doesn't attack the ground ball at pace like the smaller guys. That's why he goes to ground too.

For HBF I reckon you want either run, carry, deliver a la Rioli/Blakey/Houston, or intercept like Vlastuin.

My preferred position for Smillie is 'on another team'.
I think I saw that “ contest” which is where my querie started .

Big advantage these monster mids have is the height they can take the ball of the rucks tap in the clearances , not like the little pit bulls vacuuming of the boot laces

I think I saw that “ contest” which is where my querie started .

Big advantage these monster mids have is the height they can take the ball of the rucks tap in the clearances , not like the little pit bulls vacuuming of the boot laces
Yep, that's where he shines, when the ball comes off ruck hands at waist height or above.

Reactions: 1 users
What number do you rank him mate ?
I find him hard to place. I have him behind FOS, Lalor, Ashcroft, Lombard, Draper, Jagga and Langford, and Hotton without the knee would probably be ahead too. Maybe Lindsay and Reid as well.

Reactions: 3 users