2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

They where good ,but it wasn't Strength ,our run and carry from the back line and forward/back pressure was elite.
Dimma didn't care as much if we lost the clearances,because the other lines where elite .
Of course it was a strength. We won three flags in four yeas in large part because we had the best midfield in the comp. The midfield is about a lot more than clearances, which to us were a matter of philosophy: we conceded the clearance to heat the opposition because turnovers are a more reliable and heavier score source than clearances.

Name me a better midfield from 2017-20.

Reactions: 3 users
That's not all down to kicking skills.

It's only a component of it.

Personally think leg speed and the ability to run hard is just as big (if not more) of a factor.

Look at our dynasty teams or collingwood a premiership team last year. A number of just ok kicks.

But what those teams did was always present an option for the ball carrier - (by foot or hand) to move the ball.

It made the disposal less risky and easier to hit.

Compare that with our team atm, we are slow so static we are always dump kicking or having to make a difficult kick - impacting our clanger and turnover count.
Is it leg speed or the ability to work from contest to contest?

Lambert and Grigg were one of the best 2 way runners I have seen. They were blessed with speed.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course it was a strength. We won three flags in four yeas in large part because we had the best midfield in the comp. The midfield is about a lot more than clearances, which to us were a matter of philosophy: we conceded the clearance to heat the opposition because turnovers are a more reliable and heavier score source than clearances.

Name me a better midfield from 2017-20.
Im not going through all the midfields right now,but it wasn't our strength ,it was good but wasn't the best .

Reactions: 1 users
Im not going through all the midfields right now,but it wasn't our strength ,it was good but wasn't the best .

I reckon we had a deceptively great midfield.

yes, clearances weren't as important as they were for probably every other team.

but looking back at 2017-20, no other midfield worked as hard over four quarters than we did.

we had hard runners everywhere, and for longer, than anyone else.

Reactions: 4 users
It was the best and it was one of our major strengths. You don't win three flags in four years if your midfield is anything but top shelf.

The only midfield to challenge it was Geelong in 2019 with Dangerfield Selwood Kelly Duncan Guthrie, and a) they only had that for one year, and b) we saw how they performed in big finals against our midfield: Danger disappearing after halftime, Selwood a non-factor. Kelly was their best performer and they were only a contender for one year with him.

Reactions: 1 user
Martin Cotchin Prestia Edwards Lambert Grigg Nankervis was the best midfield in the country.
Entire team is the most underrated In history, i remember some media clowns saying we didn’t have A Graders lol

Obviously a tad bias , however I doubt there is a premiership team that could have beaten us twice in a row

Last edited:
From the small stuff I’ve seen Sims is the big bloke with the most “ it” and upside , where do we see him landing gents ? He has a bit of slider about him due to not big numbers in the carnival , I’d reach for him and hope we don’t need to waste a high pick on a big doofus for years

It was the best and it was one of our major strengths. You don't win three flags in four years if your midfield is anything but top shelf.

The only midfield to challenge it was Geelong in 2019 with Dangerfield Selwood Kelly Duncan Guthrie, and a) they only had that for one year, and b) we saw how they performed in big finals against our midfield: Danger disappearing after halftime, Selwood a non-factor. Kelly was their best performer and they were only a contender for one year with him.
Are you saying that our midfield won us the grand finals ,and our back line and forward line was a less factor .
And of course throughout the H&A seasons.
Astbury shutting down Hawkins was a big factor against Geelong ,
Our back line and forward line was elite for pressure and run and carry during our premiership years .

From the small stuff I’ve seen Sims is the big bloke with the most “ it” and upside , where do we see him landing gents ? He has a bit of slider about him due to not big numbers in the carnival , I’d reach for him and hope we don’t need to waste a high pick on a big doofus for years
Yes we need to select 2 big forwards..Lynch is almost done, all the others are 3rd forwards.
Not really keen on J Faull. Big but slow.
Must select one or both of Simms and Shanahan...these are talented versatile players...Simms can also ruck. Perfect two for us.

Yes we need to select 2 big forwards..Lynch is almost done, all the others are 3rd forwards.
Not really keen on J Faull. Big but slow.
Must select one or both of Simms and Shanahan...these are talented versatile players...Simms can also ruck. Perfect two for us.
Thanks p an t.

Gray, Lefau, Bauer are all intresting types , none garunteed to play more then 20 games , however all could end up been very handy 2nd , 3rd talls and dare I say all could end up good backman 😎

I haven’t seen J Faull so appreciate that.

I’m very much go best player no matter the type with our early picks , I know people claim we must go tall, however there’s way to many Schaches compared to Lynch’s to waste picks on those big blokes when there’s quality much safer mids .

Are you saying that our midfield won us the grand finals ,and our back line and forward line was a less factor .
And of course throughout the H&A seasons.
Astbury shutting down Hawkins was a big factor against Geelong ,
Our back line and forward line was elite for pressure and run and carry during our premiership years .
I'm saying our midfield was the best in the league. I'm not suggesting our defence wasn't great, of course it was.

Thanks p an t.

Gray, Lefau, Bauer are all intresting types , none garunteed to play more then 20 games , however all could end up been very handy 2nd , 3rd talls and dare I say all could end up good backman 😎

I haven’t seen J Faull so appreciate that.

I’m very much go best player no matter the type with our early picks , I know people claim we must go tall, however there’s way to many Schaches compared to Lynch’s to waste picks on those big blokes when there’s quality much safer mids .
Simms is big, presents hard,great hands and busts packs. Kicked badly in final game but could have kicked 3 or 4.
Shanahan is tall, mobile and is skilled.
Neither will be duds. Both clearly better than Schache types...they dont just rely on size. Would love them both. Shanahan looks to have Jack R skills.
We can see from Norths slow progress that mids only get you so far..must have all the pieces...ie Draper Lalor Berry...we have backs.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I’d imagine this has been discussed, well I’d hope so, now if we do end up with bunch of high picks and as most seem to believe Harley Reid is a better blue chip then any in this crop , what would be the value worth paying to get Harley home ? Or is it simply best to take our high picks to this years draft and get 3 hugh class kids

Harley would be like Sysiphus one out at Tigerland at this point in time IMO.

Give me 5-6 picks in this years extra boutique lucky dip.

And i reckon the odds are we'll get 1 bloke 90% as good and two 80% as good Harley

Thats a 150% premium for a team

Reactions: 1 users
Harley would be like Sysiphus one out at Tigerland at this point in time IMO.

Give me 5-6 picks in this years extra boutique lucky dip.

And i reckon the odds are we'll get 1 bloke 90% as good and two 80% as good Harley

Thats a 150% premium for a team
As someone who spent his entire education in the “ veggie” maths , I like your mathematics

• Haha