2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Essendon, Carlton big winners from AFL’s draft academy, father-son changes

The AFL’s draft bidding overhaul has been unveiled — and it’s bad news for a host of clubs. JAY CLARK breaks down the winners and losers.

Jay Clark | News Sport Network
August 02, 2024 5:41 pm

Essendon stands to be the first big winner of the AFL’s confirmed draft changes as the club prepares to swoop on gun small forward Isaac Kako.

The AFL Commission on Friday approved a move to allow clubs to secure their top academy players from the first pick of the draft with Kako set to be taken inside the top-15.

He is the best small forward in this year’s pool and looms as a crucial pick up for a club on the lookout for more top-end small forward talent.

In previous years, clubs such as Melbourne (Mac Andrew) and St Kilda (Cam Mackenzie) have been dudded as they were banned from taking their star academy prospects inside the first 40 selections.

But new rules brought in for this year will allow Essendon to land the small forward the club wants, while Carlton is in a strong position to nab Ben and Lucas Camporeale as father-sons.

Brisbane is another club which has made moves to acquire father-son Levi Ashcroft and academy player Sam Marshall.

Importantly, the league’s football boss Laura Kane said improving the next generation academy access will help boost the number of indigenous and multicultural players in the game after a drop-off in indigenous recruitment.

“We believe removing restrictions on access to NGA talent will incentivise our clubs to invest and develop in their Indigenous and multicultural talent programs and felt strongly that this change should occur as soon as possible,” Kane said.

However, the four northern clubs, Sydney Swans, Brisbane, GWS Giants and Gold Coast stand to be the biggest losers from next year when the league brings in a new points system.

The new draft value index will have no points attached to picks after selection number 54 at the start of the fourth round meaning clubs won’t be allowed to accumulate bulk low-end picks to amass points for top-end talents.

Last year, Gold Coast took four players from a bumper academy crop but the northern clubs will find it much more difficult taking multiple academy players from next year’s draft.

The new system from 2025 will mean clubs will have to give up more to secure top-end or multiple father-sons and academy players, as the discount will be reduced to only 10 per cent.

Northern clubs have been adamant they should not be restricted from taking multiple academy prospects as the local talents are key to helping retain strong lists in the northern markets.

The go-home factor has been a considerable problem for Gold Coast and GWS Giants which is why the clubs have worked hard and invested money into setting up the pathway for local players.

As forecast, future trading of picks two years in advance will be brought in in 2025, while the trading of picks will be introduced in a mid-season trade period in 2026.

Clubs will have to use two first-round picks within a four-year window and board approval will be required to trade any first-round picks to help curb reckless decision-making.

Rookies who have played less than 10 games will be allowed to remain on a list for up to five seasons.

A change to the free agency compensation formula will also be invoked for this year to make the length of contract a factor in determining the pick clubs receive for losing a player.

Longer-term contracts up to five years for players leaving their clubs will help their original club receive better compensation than those departing on shorter-term contracts.

Kane said the league wanted clubs to pay a higher price for academy players from next year in a way which brought the system into line with father-son bidding.

“After an extensive consultation process with our clubs, it was clear that clubs wanted more flexibility and levers in this space and a fairer price to be paid for talent concessions,” Kane said.

“These changes are interconnected and important as they set the framework for list management and player movement.

“A strong theme following our consultation period was ensuring a fairer price was paid for access to talent concessions.”
Aren't we (technically) winners as well ? Why can't Clark reflect that as well ? Oh yeah...media...Richmond. Got it.

Reactions: 1 users
Joe Berry. Can he play up on the ball ?

This draft and our list is lacking midfield speed and polish. He's got speed and polish. Can he play on the ball ? He has Gulden possibilities if he can.

Whilst not big numbers, his midfield play v Sandringham last week was very very interesting.
Apparently did last year when playing senior footy last year

Well that's a big positive.

My Bushranger connections reckon he's ok, but a bit overrated ? Game involvement levels ? Can go quiet ?
Think I posted this earlier, however best since Stevie J out of the club the hierarchy believe

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Given how slow we are would you prioritise the above and be content with brining in more guys who can't break lines?

Given that we are reportedly shopping our only two fast blokes around,

Which is Alana Morrisette ironic,

We must either

1. See the game slowing down,,

2. See a lot of speed in the next 3 drafts.

Clearly 1. Is nonsense, leaving only 2.

Think I posted this earlier, however best since Stevie J out of the club the hierarchy believe

I reckon he'll be a slight bolter and go top 10.

*smile* i hope tigers reach for him (with our 2nd)

Reactions: 1 user
Speaking of Stevie J, I hear he will be leaving Yarrawonga and coaching elsewhere next year. Interesting guy to put it politely....
Yep, fair chance he’ll coach another flag this year , I believe his got more of a role at MMM as well.

Interesting family

I’d imagine this has been discussed, well I’d hope so, now if we do end up with bunch of high picks and as most seem to believe Harley Reid is a better blue chip then any in this crop , what would be the value worth paying to get Harley home ? Or is it simply best to take our high picks to this years draft and get 3 hugh class kids

That's not all down to kicking skills.

It's only a component of it.

Personally think leg speed and the ability to run hard is just as big (if not more) of a factor.

Look at our dynasty teams or collingwood a premiership team last year. A number of just ok kicks.

But what those teams did was always present an option for the ball carrier - (by foot or hand) to move the ball.

It made the disposal less risky and easier to hit.

Compare that with our team atm, we are slow so static we are always dump kicking or having to make a difficult kick - impacting our clanger and turnover count.
Our 2017 cup ,we had Jack,Caddy,George,Butler,Townsend,Lambert,Rioli ,all in the forward line ,kicking goals ,nearly the same for 2019-2020 With Lynch coming in .
And nearly forgot a younger more active Dusty,and Shai to a certain extent .
We have nothing in comparison at the moment ,we need forwards ,our midfield during the glory years was never a strength .

@bengal tigers Jack Ough, your thoughts kind sir?
I was talking with a couple of people a week ago about Jack o ,we where trying to work out whats his best position,and how he would go at AFL.
We all think he will be a good third/forward/back more towards the back line ,The Rebels have played him everywhere back/forward/wing/mid,and he has done well in all positions,but he is 194cm and it is rare to see a kp size playing wing/mid at AFL level ,needs to tidy up his disposals a bit .he is quite good over head and is quite Athletic.
He did well in the champs and is a late 18 year old in drafting terms ,l reckon 2nd to third round

Joe Berry. Can he play up on the ball ?

This draft and our list is lacking midfield speed and polish. He's got speed and polish. Can he play on the ball ? He has Gulden possibilities if he can.

Whilst not big numbers, his midfield play v Sandringham last week was very very interesting.
Yeah he can play on ball,was one of the main reasons VC won a champs match ,was full of running in the last quarter playing as a mid.
He is one of the types we need ,can kick goals as a forward and and takes the game on ,he does what Smith doesn't .

Yeah he can play on ball,was one of the main reasons VC won a champs match ,was full of running in the last quarter playing as a mid.
He is one of the types we need ,can kick goals as a forward and and takes the game on ,he does what Smith doesn't .
Sounds good to me.

Where Smith is concerned I can't help but think that Morris's comments this week might have been a tea leaf moment.

Sounds good to me.

Where Smith is concerned I can't help but think that Morris's comments this week might have been a tea leaf moment.
Yeah be happy to get Berry,after Lalor of course .:LOL:
Yeah l hope we don't take Smith , ,and Morro is a good judge of talent

Martin Cotchin Prestia Edwards Lambert Grigg was the best midfield in the country.
They where good ,but it wasn't Strength ,our run and carry from the back line and forward/back pressure was elite.
Dimma didn't care as much if we lost the clearances,because the other lines where elite .