2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

That's it. According to these rankings I'm hoping we somehow get that Smillie bloke this draft. Out of that whole top 30 players pictured, he's the only one that looked even close to being a genuine feral. Game needs more ferals. Don't mind the look of that Noah Mraz bloke either, got a touch of the psycho axe murderer stare happening.
Need a couple of crazy uglies to put the frighteners up some of them fancy little finnessers n pretty boys.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Gotta remember he's played his last two games against men in tough (very at Sandy) conditions that were heavy underfoot.

It has restricted his ability to get on top of the ground and "dance" around opponents like we know he can.

But he's copped pretty close attention, is a featherweight against old heavyweights and keeps presenting in close, keeps getting contested possessions and clearances. It's a great quality. How many of his peers would have fronted up like that the past couple of weeks?

Also. not sure a junior has been as extensively reviewed and analysed by Tiger supporters as much as Mick. He's front of mind to get picked apart because of our pick and playing for us.

i.e. If Draper (who's rightly one of a couple of others in the frame for pick 1 ILO) played for our two's and kicked it like he did on the weekend we'd be all over knocking him.

End of the day they are both kids, overall, excelling against men.

Finally, let's not forget it was only 3 weeks ago Mick was clear BOG in what is universally regarded as the best under 18 match seen. It also included what is expected to be approx 8 of the top 10 in this years draft. That is the benchmark.

He had - 425 metres gained (3rd), 16 contested (1st by a mile), 8 clearances (1st) at 84% disposal efficiency - Huge.

He's All Aus captain for a reason.

PS - This not all at you Niko. Just replied then got on a roll lol ha!
Are you a used car sales man,or a real estate agent ,,well lm not buying it ,lm into a V8 muscle car with a lot of grunt,not some mini minor . :LOL:

• Haha
Like Knees Up Daniel Jackson, The Flying Pencil and the Push Up King ? They tried really hard.....

Or like Danny Meyer, Corey Ellis, Ben Lennon, Tyler Sonsie, Travis Casserly, Jordan McMahon etc etc. They kicked really well....

if Battle goes and the Aints get first round compensation I can see them potentially trading it out for Norf's first & pick and or player swaps or one of ours (we could land WCE's first if they work with Freo IMO).

Are you a used car sales man,or a real estate agent ,,well lm not buying it ,lm into a V8 muscle car with a lot of grunt,not some mini minor . :LOL:
No screaming little all wheel drive turbo pocket rockets with flappy paddle transmissions for the Bengal. Gotta be a big donk with a long bonnet proper manual n clutch gearbox that wallows like a pig in *smile* when even thinking about a bend in the road and takes a week to stop when you heave on the anchors.

• Haha
So if the exodus does happen and we have say 6 picks in the top 20 or so, would we take Dodson with 1? With our ruck stocks being what they are, it would seem a logical move to add a potential high class one through the draft.

So if the exodus does happen and we have say 6 picks in the top 20 or so, would we take Dodson with 1? With our ruck stocks being what they are, it would seem a logical move to add a potential high class one through the draft.
A Ruckman at 1.
How many Ruckman in the top 10 in the history of the draft?

Or like Danny Meyer, Corey Ellis, Ben Lennon, Tyler Sonsie, Travis Casserly, Jordan McMahon etc etc. They kicked really well....
You haven't learnt anything have you over all these years ?

1. Competitiveness. At this level, these kids have shown they already have a fair level of it.
2. Competitiveness is easier to develop anyway than talent is.

You keep recruiting triers and battlers over talent, you're heading back to the bad old 2000's. Talent first and foremost, then competitiveness. Both are non negotiable but talent precedes competitiveness - especially the way the game is played nowadays which is more skill and athletic based than ever.

You've got it round the wrong way. No surprise.

if Battle goes and the Aints get first round compensation I can see them potentially trading it out for Norf's first & pick and or player swaps or one of ours (we could land WCE's first if they work with Freo IMO).
If we happen to hold picks 1 & 3 do we go Smith or Draper at #1? I'm guessing Draper has a point of difference between FOS & Jagga? I think it may between Draper & FOS vs Smith & FOS.

Not many at the real pointy end. Gardiner, Fraser, Kreuzer. Otto the Great, Sam Darcy thats it for top 3?

Edit, and Jeff White!
Autumn Leaves would be the poorest of that lot, the rest more than serviceable players. If the talents good enough why not take a ruck with the early pick?

So this BT.

Let's stop drafting "nice types" who might move well and have a lovely kicking action. That was Clarke's modus operandi - especially with earlyish picks.

Let's go back to prioritising competitiveness and having a winners attitude above all else, then work from there.

Amazing what having that attribute across a club can bring.
In the last couple of drafts we have drafted KMc, Smith, Green and Campbell. Time will tell if any of them make it, but all have good skills and appear "competitive".
Clarke draftd RCD and Dow- neither great kicking skills, but both were supposedly good ball winners.
It was really only 2021 we went for skill over all else.