2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

There are risks with everyone. He's still my pick to be the best player from this draft.

That's fair. Reckon he does need to find some good form in the run home though.

If he does, on the back on 23' he should be still in the conversation.

If he cant re-discover it - would you still take him at 1?

Reactions: 1 users
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ask me in six weeks.

• Sad

Another way to consider it, how far does he slide?
Could he drift to say 5 or 6 if he hasnt matched his form from last year?

Gotta remember he's played his last two games against men in tough (very at Sandy) conditions that were heavy underfoot.

It has restricted his ability to get on top of the ground and "dance" around opponents like we know he can.

But he's copped pretty close attention, is a featherweight against old heavyweights and keeps presenting in close, keeps getting contested possessions and clearances. It's a great quality. How many of his peers would have fronted up like that the past couple of weeks?

Also. not sure a junior has been as extensively reviewed and analysed by Tiger supporters as much as Mick. He's front of mind to get picked apart because of our pick and playing for us.

i.e. If Draper (who's rightly one of a couple of others in the frame for pick 1 ILO) played for our two's and kicked it like he did on the weekend we'd be all over knocking him.

End of the day they are both kids, overall, excelling against men.

Finally, let's not forget it was only 3 weeks ago Mick was clear BOG in what is universally regarded as the best under 18 match seen. It also included what is expected to be approx 8 of the top 10 in this years draft. That is the benchmark.

He had - 425 metres gained (3rd), 16 contested (1st by a mile), 8 clearances (1st) at 84% disposal efficiency - Huge.

He's All Aus captain for a reason.

PS - This not all at you Niko. Just replied then got on a roll lol ha!
All very fair leysy

Just commenting on the area he needs improvement .

Interesting that the much maligned smillie on this site also had 8 clearances in that game , and was the one that gave jagga the ball in the last minute so they could go forward and win .

As you know when looking at juniors it’s not what they are now but what they could be in 3-5 years times that matters

On this point I think that smillie could end up better than cripps , he is classier imho but let’s see how it all pans out .

So this BT.

Let's stop drafting "nice types" who might move well and have a lovely kicking action. That was Clarke's modus operandi - especially with earlyish picks.

Let's go back to prioritising competitiveness and having a winners attitude above all else, then work from there.

Amazing what having that attribute across a club can bring.
What?
A bunch of hard nut mongrels that can play a bit, who'd be stupid enough to think they'd ever go out of fashion, especially around spring time. Farking madness.

So this BT.

Let's stop drafting "nice types" who might move well and have a lovely kicking action. That was Clarke's modus operandi - especially with earlyish picks.

Let's go back to prioritising competitiveness and having a winners attitude above all else, then work from there.

Amazing what having that attribute across a club can bring.
Like Knees Up Daniel Jackson, The Flying Pencil and the Push Up King ? They tried really hard.....

jeez if it pans out like that, you split 1 for sure and take

draper, lalor, berry, langford and Allen.

silk fist; iron glove.

or you keep 1, trade, and add Jagga to that lot.

I feel like if you brought in all that lot, they're gonna win a few flags together

Sausage, Shai n Bakes all from interstate n all have been privileged enough to dance upon the top of the mountain more than once. Obviously last year n this year have shown them exactly what it's going to be like when the dance music stops. Maybe they don't want to do the hard yards of scraping around the arse end of the ladder n rebuilding again, no different I guess to Dimma.
If they want out, then so be it. I barrack for the RFC n support the players that are wearing our colours, thankful for the unexpected joy they gave us through the flag years, but take off the colours n they're no longer one of my mob. If they wish to pursue the rest of their careers elsewhere, no probs, get the best deals we can possibly wrangle for them. Wave goodbye n go again with a new mob. Might actually make life just a little bit easier for the club and coaches if there is a complete line in the sand renewal.
If there was a year to do it.It looks like this year is to do it.

If we were to compare Jagga to a previous No1 type who would he most be like?

Is he a Murphy?

Smallish great accumulator. And no I dont want to hear about how Murphy was a complete spud because that just wasnt true

Reactions: 2 users
Where going nuclear with draft picks v the Geelong/Swans "gradual evolution" model is concerned, we're in a jam either way.

Nuclear = years in the wilderness and ultimately, is no guarantee. Gradual evolution, we don't have enough quality in our 2nd to 5th year (or so) players and neither do we have the health reliability with them, nor or our mature players e.g. Lynch, Hopper, Graham, Short etc.

Whether we go very young, very quick or we go gradual re-build (and say end up keeping Shai and Daniel), its gonna be a long and painful period no matter what, I think.

The incredibly bad health of our overall list is a massive, massive issue for mine. Its making things really difficult for us. Much more than it ordinarily would be for a club 4 years out of its last premiership.
On the 2nd to 5th year issue.Go through the delistings of each club.Might find someone that suits our needs(Short term) until this years draft kids are more mature.

What?
A bunch of hard nut mongrels that can play a bit, who'd be stupid enough to think they'd ever go out of fashion, especially around spring time. Farking madness.
The same people bag us for playing Mansell.
If they’re competitive mongrels and have silky skills, they usually go very low in the draft.
If they actually exist.

Last edited: