2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

2024 NATIONAL DRAFT COMBINE LIST

VIC COUNTRY
Jasper Alger (Oakleigh Chargers)
James Barrat (Bendigo Pioneers)
Joe Berry (Murray Bushrangers)
Floyd Burmeister (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Harry Charleson (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Archer Day-Wicks (Bendigo Pioneers)
Jonty Faull (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Cooper Hynes (Dandenong Stingrays)
Lachie Jaques (Geelong Falcons)
Sam Lalor (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Harvey Langford (Dandenong Stingrays)
Xavier Lindsay (Gippsland Power)
Noah Mraz (Dandenong Stingrays)
Finn O'Sullivan (Oakleigh Chargers)
Jack Ough (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Alix Tauru (Gippsland Power)
Tobie Travaglia (Vic Country)
Rhys Unwin (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Oliver Warburton (Murray Bushrangers)
Jack Whitlock (Murray Bushrangers)
Matt Whitlock (Murray Bushrangers)

VIC METRO
Cody Anderson (Eastern Ranges)
Harry Armstrong (Sandringham Dragons)
Levi Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons)
Adrian Cole (Sandringham Dragons)
Jesse Dattoli (Northern Knights)
Josh Dolan (Sandringham Dragons)
Tom Gross (Oakleigh Chargers)
Taj Hotton (Sandringham Dragons)
Isaac Kako (Calder Cannons)
Christian Moraes (Eastern Ranges)
Harry O'Farrell (Calder Cannons)
Harrison Oliver (Sandringham Dragons)
Murphy Reid (Sandringham Dragons)
Thomas Sims (Northern Knights)
Josh Smillie (Eastern Ranges)
Jagga Smith (Oakleigh Chargers)
Gabriel Stumpf (Northern Knights)
Luke Trainor (Sandringham Dragons)

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Ned Bowman (Norwood)
Ben Camporeale (Glenelg)
Lucas Camporeale (Glenelg)
Angus Clarke (Glenelg)
Alex Dodson (Sturt)
Sid Draper (South Adelaide)
Phoenix Hargrave (South Adelaide)
Jacob Newton (Norwood)
Charlie Nicholls (Central District)
Charlie West (Woodville-West Torrens)

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Bo Allan (Peel Thunder)
Cody Angove (Claremont)
Jaxon Artemis (South Fremantle)
Malakai Champion (Subiaco)
Hamish Davis (Claremont)
Clancy Dennis (Claremont)
Kayle Gerreyn (West Perth)
Will Hayes (Claremont)
Aiden Riddle (Claremont)
Luke Urquhart (East Fremantle)

QUEENSLAND
Leo Lombard (Gold Coast Academy)
Sam Marshall (Brisbane Academy)

NEW SOUTH WALES-ACT
Cooper Bell (Giants Academy)
Joel Cochran (Sydney Academy)
Jobe Shanahan (Bendigo Pioneers)
Logan Smith (GWS Academy)

quite strange that Leo Lombard and Levi Ashcroft would go?

my understanding is clubs fill out a finite list of players they want tested,

and a player needs 2 or more noms to be invited.

why would clubs waste a spot on Ashcroft or Lombard?

The Tigers where right into JUH,l can't see there initial intentions being the 29-30 premierships .
I look at Geelong they retained as many of there premiership player's as they could ,brought in role player's be it older types ,and got Cameron to keep the score board ticking over.
We really need good key forwards ,that would change our fortunes quickly .

Hawthorn are the flavour of the month ,next it will be North ,but are these two the examples of how to rebuild a premiership team ?
I would of thought Geelong would be the example ,keep competitive keep the crowds coming in,make the recruiters and list manager earn there money ,play finals.
We have gone down the Cats path, injuries have destroyed our last 3 seasons. Lynch is the best key forward in the game but cannot get on the park. Lefau & Balta may have been the other foil. Gibcus may have been the key defender we are missing. Hopper hasn't had a great run at it, nor Prestia. We did exactly what the Cats have done, unfortunately our injuries have been to our most important players. Grimes fell off a cliff. It would be a very optimistic supporter who thought we will get 20 plus games out of each of Lynch/Prestia/Hopper/Gibcus/Nank. Our best 22 could have threatened this year. But thinking we can somehow challenge in the next 2-3 years is pretty optimistic IMO.
Hawks look on track, they need to upgrade a few spots. Again, a few injuries and they will struggle.

Injuries are everything. The Pies are Top 4 material (probably Top 2), the Swans form bump coincides with injuries, Melb the same.

No side has won a premiership in recent memory whilst missing key players.

You cannot plan for injuries but I think we have to accept we are not challenging in the short-term.

Reactions: 9 users
quite strange that Leo Lombard and Levi Ashcroft would go?

my understanding is clubs fill out a finite list of players they want tested,

and a player needs 2 or more noms to be invited.

why would clubs waste a spot on Ashcroft or Lombard?
I think clubs pick who might be in there top 50,,The combine to me is a load of rubbish ,you can see what a player can do with your eyes.
Recruiters would of spoken to most player's already ,l guess it might be good for medico's to get current info ,and some coaches for a meet and greet.

Reactions: 1 user
We have gone down the Cats path, injuries have destroyed our last 3 seasons. Lynch is the best key forward in the game but cannot get on the park. Lefau & Balta may have been the other foil. Gibcus may have been the key defender we are missing. Hopper hasn't had a great run at it, nor Prestia. We did exactly what the Cats have done, unfortunately our injuries have been to our most important players. Grimes fell off a cliff. It would be a very optimistic supporter who thought we will get 20 plus games out of each of Lynch/Prestia/Hopper/Gibcus/Nank. Our best 22 could have threatened this year. But thinking we can somehow challenge in the next 2-3 years is pretty optimistic IMO.
Hawks look on track, they need to upgrade a few spots. Again, a few injuries and they will struggle.

Injuries are everything. The Pies are Top 4 material (probably Top 2), the Swans form bump coincides with injuries, Melb the same.

You cannot plan for injuries but I think we have to accept we are not challenging in the short-term.

I agree with this 100%. Had injuries been different, we'd have looked at the last 2 years very differently IMO, but we are where we are at and I don't think anyone seriously think we will be challenging in the next 2-3 years, and our plan was always that we were going to be regenerating through the draft through these years, we are probably just that little bit closer to the bottom of the ladder than we probably would have expected due to the raft of injuries that we've had. To basically lose the entire spine of our team through the early mid part of the season has been critical to where we are now.

Reactions: 2 users
The Cats path is a hard one to replicate. You need a Stephen Wells type recruiter who can consistently get gun footballers outside the top ten. Frank had a similar record to Wells for a few years there. They both had their first round misses Corey Ellis, Ben Lennon, Jackson Thurlow and Darcy Lang. Frank nailed Jack, Shedda, Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Broad, Danny, Lambo and Shai among others outside the top ten. You don't always know what you have got till it's gone. I wonder where we would be if Frank kept going like Wells has at the Cats.

Reactions: 1 users
The Cats path is a hard one to replicate. You need a Stephen Wells type recruiter who can consistently get gun footballers outside the top ten. Frank had a similar record to Wells for a few years there. They both had their first round misses Corey Ellis, Ben Lennon, Jackson Thurlow and Darcy Lang. Frank nailed Jack, Shedda, Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Broad, Danny, Lambo and Shai among others outside the top ten. You don't always know what you have got till it's gone. I wonder where we would be if Frank kept going like Wells has at the Cats.

Frank is still going, just not heading recruiting up (as we know).

The biggest thing they had in common - they both were willing to back their eye in and take players on limited stats/experience. Reckon there is almost too much over analysis these days.

They could draft champions. We haven't had that ability for many years now.

How would Wells be looked at on here on draft days? Imagine he if we took guys from reserves WAFL footy like Humphries last year ha! Or trade a future first rounder on draft night then pick Max Holmes who was on no-ones radar.

I agree but perhaps Tassie’s entry has likely impacted their strategy…. and it’s not like we haven’t attempted to poach a key forward from another club. We’ve apparently had a crack at plenty. Adding to that, we have a pretty good key forward, who can’t get on the park whom we’re paying a lot due to back ending if his deal… and I have no problem with the money we’re paying lunch but it’s not easy to extract key forwards from other clubs… and money talks.
Apologies but juh in 29-30 is 27,28 years and about to hit a age where most modern power forwards reach their peak .

I hope FJ has some influence in this draft ,so we stop taking nice types and get some hard physical types .

The biggest thing they had in common - they both were willing to back their eye in and take players on limited stats/experience. Reckon there is almost too much over analysis these days.

How would Wells be looked at on here on draft days? Imagine he if we took guys from reserves WAFL footy like Humphries last year ha! Or trade a future first rounder on draft night then pick Max Holmes who was on no-ones radar.
The thing that really pissed me off about Clarke was how arrogant or up himself he is.
When he took over from FJ, he said that FJ style was outdated ,and we needed a different approach ,l wonder what Clarke was thinking when we won the 2017 cup ,of course he gets the credit being in the top job ,same as Dodo in 2000.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
1. Richmond - FOS
2. Brisbane (match bid) - Ashcroft
3. GC (match bid) - Lombard
4. WC - Draper
5. Norf - Trainor
6. Adelaide - Smillie
7. St Kilda - Jagga
8. Richmond - Lalor
Lalor too late,and Lombard too early

Enough of this maturity. These are Web forums. We'll have none of this shenanigans!

Maybe right for Lalor. It's my ideal scenario, not a prediction.

Disagree on Lombard. He's as good as Draper.
Lombard wasn't as good against better opposition .
Lalor brings other's into the game ,and makes them work into space ,Gazza jnr used to do that .

And I got told that he was no good!!!!!!

• Haha
  • Wow
1. Richmond - FOS
2. Brisbane (match bid) - Ashcroft
3. GC (match bid) - Lombard
4. WC - Draper
5. Norf - Trainor
6. Adelaide - Smillie
7. St Kilda - Jagga
8. Richmond - Lalor
St Kilda will have another pick after 7.

If we took FOS on exposed form right now, it would be madness.

Adelaide will trade up to get Draper I reckon.

Reactions: 3 users

Wells is the best but let’s not overstate the difference between the best and the rest in pure talent spotting. Holmes was his first successful 1st rounder since Harry Taylor in 2007. Even the best recruiters are going at say 50% success (just for example) whereas the average might be 40%. Just as important is strategy to keep turning over list and getting as many shots as possible to overcome the random nature of drafting.

How would Wells be looked at on here on draft days? Imagine he if we took guys from reserves WAFL footy like Humphries last year ha! Or trade a future first rounder on draft night then pick Max Holmes who was on no-ones raradar.

I tell ya what, if we did that, we'd need a few more mods and not just on draft night.

There's several folks, who because we picked X over y, almost spontaneous combust at player x's selection or a mistake on game day by that player, and these players aren't duds, just someone who wasn't preferred. Picking someone out of obscurity? Omg. I can only imagine the emotional trauma...

• Haha