2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

1,6,11 and 12 would likely translate to

Jagga/Draper
Lalor/Langford
Berry and
The best KPF in the pool.

that would be some turbo charge

the first 3 could line up round 1
The first 3 could line up in round 1.
And would have to.
As we'd have traded out Baker, Rioli, Graham. Maybe Bolton.
Our best 22 would look like a northern startup or the arden st ammos. Shinbaggers.

Its.great to have new toys, we gotta balance it with seasoned pros - hard running and hard training.
I'm concerned of we keeping too many crocs like Hops and Dion who dont shine on the training track

Reactions: 1 users
The first 3 could line up in round 1.
And would have to.
As we'd have traded out Baker, Rioli, Graham. Maybe Bolton.
Our best 22 would look like a northern startup or the arden st ammos. Shinbaggers.

Its.great to have new toys, we gotta balance it with seasoned pros - hard running and hard training.
I'm concerned of we keeping too many crocs like Hops and Dion who dont shine on the training track
Agree

If we do go nuclear this draft,

It will be aimed at the 2029/30 flags,

So anyone currently 27 or over, likey wont be there.

Which adds a lot of weight, to the already weighty school,

Of retaining $hai.

going nuclear, like all things, is a spectrum

Reactions: 2 users
Agree

If we do go nuclear this draft,

It will be aimed at the 2029/30 flags,

So anyone currently 27 or over, likey wont be there.

Which adds a lot of weight, to the already weighty school,

Of retaining $hai.

going nuclear, like all things, is a spectrum
The Tigers where right into JUH,l can't see there initial intentions being the 29-30 premierships .
I look at Geelong they retained as many of there premiership player's as they could ,brought in role player's be it older types ,and got Cameron to keep the score board ticking over.
We really need good key forwards ,that would change our fortunes quickly .

Hawthorn are the flavour of the month ,next it will be North ,but are these two the examples of how to rebuild a premiership team ?
I would of thought Geelong would be the example ,keep competitive keep the crowds coming in,make the recruiters and list manager earn there money ,play finals.

Reactions: 4 users
The Tigers where right into JUH,l can't see there initial intentions being the 29-30 premierships .
I look at Geelong they retained as many of there premiership player's as they could ,brought in role player's be it older types ,and got Cameron to keep the score board ticking over.

Hawthorn are the flavour of the month ,next it will be North ,but are these two the examples of how to rebuild a premiership team ?
I would have thought Geelong would be the example ,keep competitive keep the crowds coming in,make the recruiters and list manager earn there money ,play finals.
I agree but perhaps Tassie’s entry has likely impacted their strategy…. and it’s not like we haven’t attempted to poach a key forward from another club. We’ve apparently had a crack at plenty. Adding to that, we have a pretty good key forward, who can’t get on the park whom we’re paying a lot due to back ending if his deal… and I have no problem with the money we’re paying lunch but it’s not easy to extract key forwards from other clubs… and money talks.

Reactions: 1 user

2024 NATIONAL DRAFT COMBINE LIST

VIC COUNTRY
Jasper Alger (Oakleigh Chargers)
James Barrat (Bendigo Pioneers)
Joe Berry (Murray Bushrangers)
Floyd Burmeister (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Harry Charleson (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Archer Day-Wicks (Bendigo Pioneers)
Jonty Faull (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Cooper Hynes (Dandenong Stingrays)
Lachie Jaques (Geelong Falcons)
Sam Lalor (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Harvey Langford (Dandenong Stingrays)
Xavier Lindsay (Gippsland Power)
Noah Mraz (Dandenong Stingrays)
Finn O'Sullivan (Oakleigh Chargers)
Jack Ough (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Alix Tauru (Gippsland Power)
Tobie Travaglia (Vic Country)
Rhys Unwin (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Oliver Warburton (Murray Bushrangers)
Jack Whitlock (Murray Bushrangers)
Matt Whitlock (Murray Bushrangers)

VIC METRO
Cody Anderson (Eastern Ranges)
Harry Armstrong (Sandringham Dragons)
Levi Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons)
Adrian Cole (Sandringham Dragons)
Jesse Dattoli (Northern Knights)
Josh Dolan (Sandringham Dragons)
Tom Gross (Oakleigh Chargers)
Taj Hotton (Sandringham Dragons)
Isaac Kako (Calder Cannons)
Christian Moraes (Eastern Ranges)
Harry O'Farrell (Calder Cannons)
Harrison Oliver (Sandringham Dragons)
Murphy Reid (Sandringham Dragons)
Thomas Sims (Northern Knights)
Josh Smillie (Eastern Ranges)
Jagga Smith (Oakleigh Chargers)
Gabriel Stumpf (Northern Knights)
Luke Trainor (Sandringham Dragons)

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Ned Bowman (Norwood)
Ben Camporeale (Glenelg)
Lucas Camporeale (Glenelg)
Angus Clarke (Glenelg)
Alex Dodson (Sturt)
Sid Draper (South Adelaide)
Phoenix Hargrave (South Adelaide)
Jacob Newton (Norwood)
Charlie Nicholls (Central District)
Charlie West (Woodville-West Torrens)

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Bo Allan (Peel Thunder)
Cody Angove (Claremont)
Jaxon Artemis (South Fremantle)
Malakai Champion (Subiaco)
Hamish Davis (Claremont)
Clancy Dennis (Claremont)
Kayle Gerreyn (West Perth)
Will Hayes (Claremont)
Aiden Riddle (Claremont)
Luke Urquhart (East Fremantle)

QUEENSLAND
Leo Lombard (Gold Coast Academy)
Sam Marshall (Brisbane Academy)

NEW SOUTH WALES-ACT

Cooper Bell (Giants Academy)
Joel Cochran (Sydney Academy)
Jobe Shanahan (Bendigo Pioneers)
Logan Smith (GWS Academy)

FIRST INTAKE 2024 STATE COMBINE LIST

Benny Barrett (South Adelaide/SA)
Hugh Boxshall (Claremont/WA)
Evan Bradley (North Adelaide/SA)
Charlie Burke (Subiaco/WA)
Zane Cochrane (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Sam Davidson (Richmond VFL/Vic Metro)
Oliver Dean (Tasmania Devils/North Launceston)
Josaia Delana (Giants Academy/NSW-ACT)
Asher Eastham (Gippsland Power/Vic Country)
Tom Gillett (Brisbane Academy/QLD)
Lucca Grego (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
Kade Herbert (Woodville-West Torrens/SA)
Lennox Hofmann (Sandringham/Vic Metro)
Damon Hollow (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
Lucas Impey (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
Xavier Ivisic (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
Zak Johnson (Northern Knights/Vic Metro)
Ben Kennedy (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
Nash King (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
Thomas McKay (Glenelg/South Australia)
Ricky Mentha (Gippsland Power/NT)
Josh Murphy (Murray Bushrangers/NSW-ACT)
Jayden Nguyen (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
Harrison Ramm (Glenelg/South Australia)
Tyler Welsh (Adelaide/South Australia)

I would of thought Geelong would be the example ,keep competitive keep the crowds coming in,make the recruiters and list manager earn there money ,play finals.
We can't exactly follow that model because we've dipped so far. Geelong never bottom all the way out, we are stone cold last. By a long way.

The Eagles model of not moving on players is what we need to avoid and we have fallen into some of those traps already (McIntosh, Pickett & Grimes all shoulve gone last year), we need the hard rest fast to avoid a prolonged Eagles dip. We need to hit this draft really hard, somehow make the Gibcus, Brown, Banks,Clarke and Sonsie class produce three core footballers and get back to smart free agents and trades. The best outcome for 2025 would be a competitive 8 wins. I don't see us bouncing back into the 8 right away.

Reactions: 4 users
We can't exactly follow that model because we've dipped so far. Geelong never bottom all the way out, we are stone cold last. By a long way.

The Eagles model of not moving on players is what we need to avoid and we have fallen into some of those traps already (McIntosh, Pickett & Grimes all shoulve gone last year), we need the hard rest fast to avoid a prolonged Eagles dip. We need to hit this draft really hard, somehow make the Gibcus, Brown, Banks,Clarke and Sonsie class produce three core footballers and get back to smart free agents and trades. The best outcome for 2025 would be a competitive 8 wins. I don't see us bouncing back into the 8 right away.
It really depends on a very fit Lynch in 2025. Lynch plays every game we are a chance to rise up the ladder.

Yeah unfortunately we don't have Stephen Wells to keep the conveyor of talent continuing in through the door.

To keep challenging, we needed the 21' class (uber hunks) to now be driving the resurgence. Yes there's been bad luck, but primarily through some poor picks by Clarke (Sonsie - yuck) we have a dearth of talented youngsters.

Fun fact - Listening to Daniel Hoyne from CD during the week - Geelong have the second most under 23's this year performing above expectation - Holmes, Humphries, De Koning, Dempsey (who will win rising star) etc etc.

I don't think it's in Blairs plan to bottom out ,you won't attract the player's you want unless you pay mass overs .
I still think we win more matches this year ,if we had minimal injuries .
If a young player can do a better job than one of our older premiership player's ,move them on, if not they stay .
I don't see many of our young player's pushing player's out .

Fun fact - Listening to Daniel Hoyne from CD during the week - Geelong have the second most under 23's this year performing above expectation - Holmes, Humphries, De Koning, Dempsey (who will win rising star) etc etc.
Disagree. That's not fun at all.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
It really depends on a very fit Lynch in 2025. Lynch plays every game we are a chance to rise up the ladder.
Plus the 10-12 guys we have been missing most rounds this year. Our position on the ladder is almost 100% due to injuries and resulting in lack of team continutiy and cohesion.

Reactions: 6 users

Sydney and geelong start the year on 12 wins

If Rioli goes it must be for picks 6 and 11, even if we have to pay some of his salary or give them a future second (don't worry, we'll be flush with future picks).

Baker for the Barrass pick would be as good as we could hope. That's Hawthorn's first? Pick 12-16 the way they're heading. About right.

Compo of pick 22 for Graham if we're lucky, otherwise pick 40ish. Let's say 40.

Bundle picks for Brisbane's 17.

A hand of 1, 6, 11, 12, 17, 21. Any leftover picks we shift into next year.

FOS, Lalor, Hotton, Berry, Allan, Sims. Maybe one fewer small and get Armstrong as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Where going nuclear with draft picks v the Geelong/Swans "gradual evolution" model is concerned, we're in a jam either way.

Nuclear = years in the wilderness and ultimately, is no guarantee. Gradual evolution, we don't have enough quality in our 2nd to 5th year (or so) players and neither do we have the health reliability with them, nor or our mature players e.g. Lynch, Hopper, Graham, Short etc.

Whether we go very young, very quick or we go gradual re-build (and say end up keeping Shai and Daniel), its gonna be a long and painful period no matter what, I think.

The incredibly bad health of our overall list is a massive, massive issue for mine. Its making things really difficult for us. Much more than it ordinarily would be for a club 4 years out of its last premiership.

Last edited:
If Rioli goes it must be for picks 6 and 11, even if we have to pay some of his salary or give them a future second (don't worry, we'll be flush with future picks).

Baker for the Barrass pick would be as good as we could hope. That's Hawthorn's first? Pick 12-16 the way they're heading. About right.

Compo of pick 22 for Graham if we're lucky, otherwise pick 40ish. Let's say 40.

Bundle picks for Brisbane's 17.

A hand of 1, 6, 11, 12, 17, 21. Any leftover picks we shift into next year.

FOS, Lalor, Hotton, Berry, Allan, Sims. Maybe one fewer small and get Armstrong as well.
No Jagga???

Where going nuclear with draft picks v the Geelong/Swans "gradual evolution" model is concerned, we're in a jam either way.

Nuclear = years in the wilderness and ultimately, is no guarantee. Gradual evolution, we don't have enough quality in our 2nd to 5th year (or so) players and neither do we have the health reliability with them, nor or our mature players e.g. Lynch, Hopper, Graham, Short etc.

Whether we go very young, very quick or we go gradual re-build (and say end up keeping Shai and Daniel), its gonna be a long and painful period no matter what, I think.

The incredibly bad health of our overall list is a massive, massive issue for mine. Its making things really difficult for us. Much more than it ordinarily would be for a club 4 years out of its last premiership.
Going for the Draft this year will free up our cap space from next year after Lynch's contract finishes.
We will be flush with cap space.

Reactions: 1 user
Reading that Ricky Mentha had 22 touches and 7 rebound 50's from a back flank. If Rioli goes (Heck even if he stays), I'd be punting on Mentha with a pick after 30 as a rebounding defender. Has pace, and incredible agility and kicks the ball so well. Moving him into my late gets.

Also Reading that Tom Sims had extended time in the ruck (24 hitouts, only 8 touches but 3 goals), that's a huge tick. Give me a key forward that can ruck part time.

Last edited: