2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

So after all that, we'd have 1, 6, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23,

any other year, thats a very good hand.

this year its a great hand.

go to sleep after Day 1 with 3 very good players

dreaming of the pick of some very good players, several >195cm, on Day 2

would be exciting indeed

Reactions: 1 user
any other year, thats a very good hand.

this year its a great hand.

go to sleep after Day 1 with 3 very good players

dreaming of the pick of some very good players, several >195cm, on Day 2

would be exciting indeed
Corner the market day 2.lol

I think 12 on its own is optimistic for Bakes. If he chooses Freo it's more likely we get pick 16. If he chooses West Coast I'm afraid we might have to accept a pair of early second-rounders (2024 and 2025). I don't see them splitting what will be pick 2. I think the most likely scenario for Bakes is pick 22 and West Coast's 2025 second-rounder.

The good news is Goggles Cleary is reporting we're a good chance to get Band 3 compo for Graham. That's pick 22. (So we get 23 in the Bakes deal.)

Gold Coast's first is currently at 6 but could be 8 by the end of the year, and 11 by the time it's used on draft night. But let's say 6 and 20 for Rioli for now.

Carlton won't trade their first as a Camporeale bid won't come until after it.

Brisbane might have to match a bid at 2 for Ashcroft - that's just over 2000 points. If they gave us pick 17 (1025) and a future second (500ish) we'd have to give them all of 36, 39, 41, 54, 57, 63, 68 = 1933. I don't know if that works in terms of how many picks they can take to the draft - @mrposhman might?

So after all that, we'd have 1, 6, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, and two extra second-rounders for next year. We would almost certainly trade at least one of the 20s picks for a 2025 first-rounder.

And that's how you go hard at the draft without trading out prime Shai Bolton @Carter @Baron Samedi Or is that too conservative?

1st paragraphs we are on the same page and I'd rather WC in that aspect. 2 2nds, even giving something back is a good appraoch.

Thats great news on Graham, was expecting Band 4 or 5 which will essentially be the same for us.
I just wouldn't have us trading Rioli. The only way I do it is if Dan says he wants to leave and GC give us both of their early 1st rounders, and we'll give them something back either this year or next, but I'm not banking on that.

My theoretical trades had us finishing with 1, 6, 17, 21 and a couple of late ones to match a bid on Lockwood, that was without any Graham compo, so if we got Pick 22 as compo then thats a great deal and makes our hand even stronger.

1, 6, 17, 21 and 22 gets us a great mix of players, heck we might even be able to convince someone around 9-10 to trade that for 17 and 22 if that worked for both partie, and we get to keep Rioli and Bolton. Certainly prefer that sort of a deal than trading those 2 as well.

BTW - no idea on the number of picks. I know they tightened it up, then seemed to relax it again, so who knows now with the AFL, I'm not sure they even know.

Reactions: 2 users
Sid Drapers 7.80 agility test is top 5 most agile ever recorded, best ever is 7.70 ,and his endurance is already at AFL level,also is quick.
This has to be our man has a player getting out of traffic and carrying the ball trumps 35 -40 touches .

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I think 12 on its own is optimistic for Bakes. If he chooses Freo it's more likely we get pick 16. If he chooses West Coast I'm afraid we might have to accept a pair of early second-rounders (2024 and 2025). I don't see them splitting what will be pick 2. I think the most likely scenario for Bakes is pick 22 and West Coast's 2025 second-rounder.

The good news is Goggles Cleary is reporting we're a good chance to get Band 3 compo for Graham. That's pick 22. (So we get 23 in the Bakes deal.)

Gold Coast's first is currently at 6 but could be 8 by the end of the year, and 11 by the time it's used on draft night. But let's say 6 and 20 for Rioli for now.

Carlton won't trade their first as a Camporeale bid won't come until after it.

Brisbane might have to match a bid at 2 for Ashcroft - that's just over 2000 points. If they gave us pick 17 (1025) and a future second (500ish) we'd have to give them all of 36, 39, 41, 54, 57, 63, 68 = 1933. I don't know if that works in terms of how many picks they can take to the draft - @mrposhman might?

So after all that, we'd have 1, 6, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, and two extra second-rounders for next year. We would almost certainly trade at least one of the 20s picks for a 2025 first-rounder.

And that's how you go hard at the draft without trading out prime Shai Bolton @Carter @Baron Samedi Or is that too conservative?

I like your work here but the Brisbane stuff is, whilst certainly possible, of course reliant on them dealing with us (we do have the picks, yes).

I still don't think this sucks the marrow out of the draft like I would like us to do. we need very high picks for the next midfield. bolton (not a true mid) potentially gives us access to the top in a more direct, reliable way.

dunno about rioli netting us a 6 either

Thats great news but where did you read or watch that Spook? Do you have a link?
No link sorry, AT. Someone told me they heard it.

1st paragraphs we are on the same page and I'd rather WC in that aspect. 2 2nds, even giving something back is a good appraoch.

Thats great news on Graham, was expecting Band 4 or 5 which will essentially be the same for us.
I just wouldn't have us trading Rioli. The only way I do it is if Dan says he wants to leave and GC give us both of their early 1st rounders, and we'll give them something back either this year or next, but I'm not banking on that.

My theoretical trades had us finishing with 1, 6, 17, 21 and a couple of late ones to match a bid on Lockwood, that was without any Graham compo, so if we got Pick 22 as compo then thats a great deal and makes our hand even stronger.

1, 6, 17, 21 and 22 gets us a great mix of players, heck we might even be able to convince someone around 9-10 to trade that for 17 and 22 if that worked for both partie, and we get to keep Rioli and Bolton. Certainly prefer that sort of a deal than trading those 2 as well.

BTW - no idea on the number of picks. I know they tightened it up, then seemed to relax it again, so who knows now with the AFL, I'm not sure they even know.
How are you getting pick 6 without trading Rioli? Gold Coast don't need to trade it for points, they're stacked.

I like your work here but the Brisbane stuff is, whilst certainly possible, of course reliant on them dealing with us (we do have the picks, yes).

I still don't think this sucks the marrow out of the draft like I would like us to do. we need very high picks for the next midfield. bolton (not a true mid) potentially gives us access to the top in a more direct, reliable way.

dunno about rioli netting us a 6 either
Rioli will get us 6 if GC want him.

What do you think Shai is getting you? From Freo, whose earliest pick will end up around 10 by the time it's used?

That's why I asked you what picks you wanted and what players you were targeting in the draft. Otherwise you're just saying, "I want seven magic beans, not five, and three of them better be red!"

Such a tough year. A club with pick 5 could easily end up with a better player than a club with pick 1.
I reckon we have to spread the risk and split our pick 1.
I’d take Lalor and Reid/Langford over Smith any day of the week.
When Reid and Horne-Francis were put as the number 1 kid.
We offered north 3-4 picks for Horne-Francis
And clubs were offering similar for Reid.

What's the chances we get the same and if we did what would the offers be???

• Haha
Sid Drapers 7.80 agility test is top 5 most agile ever recorded, best ever is 7.70 ,and his endurance is already at AFL level,also is quick.
This has to be our man has a player getting out of traffic and carrying the ball trumps 35 -40 touches .

jaggies agility and tank will be very similar.

Its a really tough choice

I know you are only quoting Cleary but who really believes Graham is worth a start of 2nd compensation pick? He will be 27 at the start of next season, only played 10 games this season due continual soft tissue injuries and when he did play he was pretty average, maybe because of his injuries.
Who is lining up for him? granted he has leadership and some grunt but can't see anyone giving him more than a 3 year deal and on less money than he his now, (not sure where that rates on the compensation scale).
If we do get start of 2nd round compensation for Graham it would be highway robbery but I certainly wouldn't be Banking on it.

I know you are only quoting Cleary but who really believes Graham is worth a start of 2nd compensation pick? He will be 27 at the start of next season, only played 10 games this season due continual soft tissue injuries and when he did play he was pretty average, maybe because of his injuries.
Who is lining up for him? granted he has leadership and some grunt but can't see anyone giving him more than a 3 year deal and on less money than he his now, (not sure where that rates on the compensation scale).
If we do get start of 2nd round compensation for Graham it would be highway robbery but I certainly wouldn't be Banking on it.
It wouldn't be start of second round, it would be a pick after our second-rounder. Like with Brando, except that was pick 39 because we'd won the flag.

Reactions: 4 users
No link sorry, AT. Someone told me they heard it.

How are you getting pick 6 without trading Rioli? Gold Coast don't need to trade it for points, they're stacked.

Future picks. This is where I much prefer the Baker option with West Coast, for their 2nd this year and next and we give them their 3rd back this year. Trade our 2nd and WC's 2nd to Gold Coast with a little bit back this year. I had 54 and 57 back to them. Based on the current points index, this gives them a points gain of 477 points on their 1st rounder. I don't think many others would be able to beat that, but obviously if the points index changed, then this might impact on the values of future picks, which might either mean we stump up a bit more, or we get a bit back.

Getting those later 2 picks back, means that GC can also trade their Pick 20 into next year to someone wanting an extra pick in this years draft. They can match Lombard with their picks after that, plus the 2 we give them.

Might also be impacted if Dusty chooses to go to the GC so we might then get something else back as part of the trade.

Its doable, but with Gold Coast they either want players (which they may or may not be able to get) of future picks and this for me is where the trade with West Coast for Baker comes in, 2 early 2nd round picks are valuable to the GC, when they have other academy players in the mix for the 2025 draft.

It wouldn't be start of second round, it would be a pick after our second-rounder. Like with Brando, except that was pick 39 because we'd won the flag.

Our second round pick - currently pick 21 will draft out to around 26 or so you'd think come draft night.

Will believe Graham will get the sort of offer to trigger that compo when see it. Can't see it happening.

Future picks. This is where I much prefer the Baker option with West Coast, for their 2nd this year and next and we give them their 3rd back this year. Trade our 2nd and WC's 2nd to Gold Coast with a little bit back this year. I had 54 and 57 back to them. Based on the current points index, this gives them a points gain of 477 points on their 1st rounder. I don't think many others would be able to beat that, but obviously if the points index changed, then this might impact on the values of future picks, which might either mean we stump up a bit more, or we get a bit back.

Getting those later 2 picks back, means that GC can also trade their Pick 20 into next year to someone wanting an extra pick in this years draft. They can match Lombard with their picks after that, plus the 2 we give them.

Might also be impacted if Dusty chooses to go to the GC so we might then get something else back as part of the trade.

Its doable, but with Gold Coast they either want players (which they may or may not be able to get) of future picks and this for me is where the trade with West Coast for Baker comes in, 2 early 2nd round picks are valuable to the GC, when they have other academy players in the mix for the 2025 draft.
GC can already match Lombard with the points they have. They don't need more points this year.

Brando was 26, got a 5 year deal on purported 500 -550k a year and inflation has only gone up, (or at least that is what the AFL used as an excuse to screw us on Brando:mad: ). Not exactly apples for apples IMO but I hope Cleary is right.

Our second round pick - currently pick 21 will draft out to around 26 or so you'd think come draft night.

Will believe Graham will get the sort of offer to trigger that compo when see it. Can't see it happening.
26?

I can see it moving back two spots for Lombard and Ashcroft, and a third if the Saints lose Battle. I don't reckon any other bids are coming before then. If they are, they're for Marshall or Camporeale, and who cares.