2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

I've seen the highlights, and read the reviews, but havent seen any games. Jagga sounds like a Walsh/Daicos cross. But is there any risk there is some Andy McGrath thrown in?
No.

Someone mentioned Farren Ray, so you should gain some comfort from that........

I don't know what matches your watching ,but Sims is a nice player,he should be crashing packs ,laying big tackles ,imposing himself around the ground .
He is a big lad in the u18's ,should be doing a lot more .

I don't think the NGA rules have changed yet ,someone mentioned it in the media,and they all ran with it .

Yeah he has some area to work on for sure.

But he is also (ILO) the most likely to be elite overhead. It ain't everything but that will take him a long way, especially if he starts to learn to use his body - which can often come later.

Reckon his ceiling is a lot higher than someone like Faull. Who has a better all ground game, but looks to lack any standout quality. At very best he might make a Mihocek (who's a damn good footballer but no star).

Depends what you value in that type really.

Re: NGA. Not official yet, but clubs have agreed and will be rubber stamped in August.

Normally cant stand Gerard Healy - but he hits the nail on the head here:

Reactions: 3 users
Smillie for me has only 1 question mark

Can he run?

Or actually the question should be , will he develop a tank in the next 3 years and be a two way runner at least as good as Cripps is?

He is a massive unit, who will furnish, and is tall enough to rest up forward, he is as good a clearance p[layer as anyone in this draft pool, with the most upside.

The only thing that will stop him being pick 1, is if recruiters think he won't work hard enough, which I doubt.

Smillie averages 31 disposals, and 1.8 goals a game playing for Eastern this year

Yeah he has some area to work on for sure.

But he is also (ILO) the most likely to be elite overhead. It ain't everything but that will take him a long way, especially if he starts to learn to use his body - which can often come later.

Reckon his ceiling is a lot higher than someone like Faull. Who has a better all ground game, but looks to lack any standout quality. At very best he might make a Mihocek (who's a damn good footballer but no star).

Depends what you value in that type really.

Re: NGA. Not official yet, but clubs have agreed and will be rubber stamped in August.

Normally cant stand Gerard Healy - but he hits the nail on the head here:

Faull and Sims are different player's ,Faull gets up and down the ground ,tackles,pressure ,and is aggressive in his approach ,has really good endurance,good football nous..
If you aren't aggressive now ,it gets harder to teach at the next level .

Reactions: 1 user
Such a tough year. A club with pick 5 could easily end up with a better player than a club with pick 1.
I reckon we have to spread the risk and split our pick 1.
I’d take Lalor and Reid/Langford over Smith any day of the week.

Last edited:
That terrifies me, I can't have it.
What you really should be terrified by, is the fact that the leader of the Dunces of Doom is plumping for Jags. Now THAT's terrifying.

Get on the phone to Bocce Toce and inform him of this critical information so that we can avoid another McBean, Ryan Simpson, Andrew Collins et al situation.

• Haha

Can he run?

Or actually the question should be , will he develop a tank in the next 3 years and be a two way runner at least as good as Cripps is?

He is a massive unit, who will furnish, and is tall enough to rest up forward, he is as good a clearance p[layer as anyone in this draft pool, with the most upside.

The only thing that will stop him being pick 1, is if recruiters think he won't work hard enough, which I doubt.

Smillie averages 31 disposals, and 1.8 goals a game playing for Eastern this year

Reckon he has another question mark - Despite his frame he's not an inside beast, or even an elite inside player - yet.

Would dispute he's the best clearance player in the pool. There are a number either alongside or ahead ILO. Definitely Jagga and Draper. Lalor, Langford, Lombard, Ashcroft, FoS, even Reid are in that conversation.

He's currently primarily a link player with a big body ILO. What his fans are banking on is him furnishing his puppy fat into a strong chiseled bull, then learning to use it, turning his ferocity on the ball up a notch and becoming a true inside/out footballer.

If he does, yeah he could be elite. If he doesn't, he will turn out pretty frustrating for whoever drafts him. Reckon could go either way and can see both arguments. But he does have the above critical area to improve.

Reactions: 3 users
What you really should be confident with, is the fact that the leader of the Princes of Prediction is plumping for Jags. Now THAT's gravitas.

Get on the phone to Bocce Toce and inform him of this critical information so that we can get another Mac Andrew, Josh Treacy, Kane Lambert et al situation.

Thanks mate. Too kind.

What you really should be terrified by, is the fact that the leader of the Dunces of Doom is plumping for Jags. Now THAT's terrifying.

Get on the phone to Bocce Toce and inform him of this critical information so that we can avoid another McBean, Ryan Simpson, Andrew Collins et al situation.
First stiff drink of the day. *CHUG*

Can he run?

Thanks for posting something positive about Smillie niko.
This guy seems a real quandary to me. Clearly he's got something and people who know about this stuff have been watching him from a long way out, but in the vision i've seen he looks a bit lackluster.

Any idea why his recent form has been a bit average?

Personally think if we want a big bodied mid Langford carries a lot less risk.
Racks up the ball at will, beautiful kick, great mark and endurance.
Probably not a number 1 pick but i wouldnt be disappointed.
Be great if we could get another pick inside the top 8 and get Smith and Langford

Reactions: 6 users
Personally think if we want a big bodied mid Langford carries a lot less risk.
Racks up the ball at will, beautiful kick, great mark and endurance.
Probably not a number 1 pick but i wouldnt be disappointed.
Be great if we could get another pick inside the top 8 and get Smith and Langford

Yeah. If I was looking at a player of that ilk (i.e. big bodied mid) I'd go Langford at 6-10 v Big Willie Smillie at something potentially more costly.

If they're rated about the same, then I think I'm still going Langford. Langford has proven his tank. Not sure Smillie has. Langford has proven his ability to take a mark (often really heavy ones too). Not sure Smillie has.

Yeah. If I was looking at a player of that ilk (i.e. big bodied mid) I'd go Langford at 6-10 v Big Willie Smillie at something potentially more costly.

If they're rated about the same, then I think I'm still going Langford. Langford has proven his tank. Not sure Smillie has. Langford has proven his ability to take a mark (often really heavy ones too). Not sure Smillie has.
Smillie is a horrible kick and a very average mark. If we are looking for kicking skills he aint it.

Reactions: 1 users
Reckon he has another question mark - Despite his frame he's not an inside beast, or even an elite inside player - yet.

Would dispute he's the best clearance player in the pool. There are a number either alongside or ahead ILO. Definitely Jagga and Draper. Lalor, Langford, Lombard, Ashcroft, FoS, even Reid are in that conversation.

He's currently primarily a link player with a big body ILO. What his fans are banking on is him furnishing his puppy fat into a strong chiseled bull, then learning to use it, turning his ferocity on the ball up a notch and becoming a true inside/out footballer.

If he does, yeah he could be elite. If he doesn't, he will turn out pretty frustrating for whoever drafts him. Reckon could go either way and can see both arguments. But he does have the above critical area to improve.
Not sure I agree with the bolded part

In the national championships of 2024, only Jagga and Langford had more clearances, But interestingly almost a 1/3 of all Smillie possessions where clearances

Smillie is a horrible kick and a very average mark. If we are looking for kicking skills he aint it.
Other than that and having no endurance and getting very little of the ball, he’s a great player.
Do you have the number of his publicist?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Big Willie Smillie isn't a bad kick. His last game wasn't reflective of that but I've seen plenty where he's been ok.

He has a very good technique which allows him to kick a drop punt a mile. Can kick goals from outside 50 with ease.

Thanks for posting something positive about Smillie niko.
This guy seems a real quandary to me. Clearly he's got something and people who know about this stuff have been watching him from a long way out, but in the vision i've seen he looks a bit lackluster.

Any idea why his recent form has been a bit average?

not sure, someone mentioned he had a niggle