2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Smillie is a horrible kick and a very average mark. If we are looking for kicking skills he aint it.

As Dudford said, Big Willie's kicking is fine. It's actually a bit of a strength. long kick and reckon he generally weights them pretty well.

Just shows old Senileford gets things right occasionally.

As Dudford said, Big Willie's kicking is fine. It's actually a bit of a strength. long kick and reckon he generally weights them pretty well.

Just shows old Senileford gets things right occasionally.
Uh oh. Somebody at Greenacres has given Nobets too much Valium again.

Big Willie Smillie isn't a bad kick. His last game wasn't reflective of that but I've seen plenty where he's been ok.

He has a very good technique which allows him to kick a drop punt a mile. Can kick goals from outside 50 with ease.
This. I’ve seen him take a mark turn and kick darts that move fast over 40-45.

We keep pick 1 unless the offer is to good to refuse, like overs, which as we know rarely happens.

A lot of hypotheticals but If Rioli decides he wants to join GC then 6 & 11 must be handed over. Yes, it's overs but he's contracted.
Baker if he nominates WC then they must split pick 3 (no *smile* 2nd rounders). Maybe do a deal with Freo ;) they acquire pick 3 and the Coker's get 12 and 16. Pick 12 comes to us. Eagles get baker and still have a first rounder (16).
Eagles may offer a future first instead which is very likely to be a top 5 pick.

If eagles are pussy footing around then one would hope Freo would enter the Frey and they had over Pick 12.

Picks, 1, 6, 11 & 12 and another first rounder from one club needing points for FS/Academy (say brissy)
That would leave us with 1, 6, 11, 12 & 17. Talk about turbo boosting our rebuild.

points.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
We keep pick 1 unless the offer is to good to refuse, like overs, which as we know rarely happens.

A lot of hypotheticals but If Rioli decides he wants to join GC then 6 & 11 must be handed over. Yes, it's overs but he's contracted.
Baker if he nominates WC then they must split pick 3 (no *smile* 2nd rounders). Maybe do a deal with Freo ;) they acquire pick 3 and the Coker's get 12 and 16. Pick 12 comes to us. Eagles get baker and still have a first rounder (16).
Eagles may offer a future first instead which is very likely to be a top 5 pick.

If eagles are pussy footing around then one would hope Freo would enter the Frey and they had over Pick 12.

Picks, 1, 6, 11 & 12 and another first rounder from one club needing points for FS/Academy (say brissy)
That would leave us with 1, 6, 11, 12 & 17. Talk about turbo boosting our rebuild.

View attachment 23644
Splitting pick 1 doesn’t necessarily need to be overs. Just an opportunity to pick up another very good player.
Give Suns pick 1 for their 6&11 and grabbing Lalor and Langton could be a distinct possibility.
This year there seems no guarantee that Lalor won’t be better than Smith, FOS, Smillie or Draper.
And we don’t lose Rioli but gain Langton as a bonus

Reactions: 1 user
on a current rough order

1. jagga
2. Trainor
(Ashcroft) (Lombard)
3. Draper
4. FOS
5. Lalor
6. langford
7 Reid
8. Berry
9. lindsay
10. Smilie

Jagga and Sims for Lalor and Berry?

tough one.

if I could trade back into the second round and grab one of Sims, Armstrong or J. Whitlock, Id pull the trigger.
We should do better.Brisbane needs points.
Pick 16ish

Say we can get this

Baker 12 & 25 send something back.
Rioli 6 & 20.
15 from Carlton for Points or 17 from Brissy for points.

1, 6, 12,17, 20, 21 25.

If we do all that, then you don't need to split one.

And the only teams that really have enough draft capital in this years draft to split pick 1 with are Freo and GC a we are dealing with both already, supposedly.

If Bakes picks West Coast, then it's up to them to find a way to split 3 and 25 to get value.

Then maybe you can spilt with Freo. The Baker to West Coast path is harder.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

1,6,11 and 12 would likely translate to

Jagga/Draper
Lalor/Langford
Berry and
The best KPF in the pool.

that would be some turbo charge

the first 3 could line up round 1

Reactions: 3 users
Personally think if we want a big bodied mid Langford carries a lot less risk.
Racks up the ball at will, beautiful kick, great mark and endurance.
Probably not a number 1 pick but i wouldnt be disappointed.
Be great if we could get another pick inside the top 8 and get Smith and Langford

Honestly i'd take Langford over Smillie.

Wouldn’t be unhappy with pick 2 or 3 as it takes all that pressure off that the number 1 pick gets , considering the evenness of the talent

Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn’t be unhappy with pick 2 or 3 as it takes all that pressure off that the number 1 pick gets , considering the evenness of the talent

easy for us to take the pressure off this year by bidding on Lombard

*smile* up GC and make our man No.2.

dont think we'd do it, but I'd be fun

I hope we bid on Malachi Champion (WC NGA) in the 20's too (after we take the best available KPF).

The little Champ kicked 3.0 on league debut Saturday.

hes a ripper. lightening quick, kick all sorts of goals; front and square classic rover goals, burning off opponents back to goal, winning frees i50.

He's pure small forward. He's a 10 possession/2-3 goals a week type and what you see is what he'll be.

Berry Sims Champion would bring a lot of excitement for a long time I reckon

Last edited:
1, 6, 12,17, 20, 21, 25.
If I had this haul I'd get funky.

1. Jagga or Fos
6. Langford or Lalor
12. Taj Hotton or Joe Berry
17 Xavier Lindsay
20 Tom Simms or Jack Whitlock
21 One of the above or Matt Whitlock
25 Bo Allan

• Love
Say we can get this

Baker 12 & 25 send something back.
Rioli 6 & 20.
15 from Carlton for Points or 17 from Brissy for points.

1, 6, 12,17, 20, 21 25.

If we do all that, then you don't need to split one.

And the only teams that really have enough draft capital in this years draft to split pick 1 with are Freo and GC a we are dealing with both already, supposedly.

If Bakes picks West Coast, then it's up to them to find a way to split 3 and 25 to get value.

Then maybe you can spilt with Freo. The Baker to West Coast path is harder.
I think 12 on its own is optimistic for Bakes. If he chooses Freo it's more likely we get pick 16. If he chooses West Coast I'm afraid we might have to accept a pair of early second-rounders (2024 and 2025). I don't see them splitting what will be pick 2. I think the most likely scenario for Bakes is pick 22 and West Coast's 2025 second-rounder.

The good news is Goggles Cleary is reporting we're a good chance to get Band 3 compo for Graham. That's pick 22. (So we get 23 in the Bakes deal.)

Gold Coast's first is currently at 6 but could be 8 by the end of the year, and 11 by the time it's used on draft night. But let's say 6 and 20 for Rioli for now.

Carlton won't trade their first as a Camporeale bid won't come until after it.

Brisbane might have to match a bid at 2 for Ashcroft - that's just over 2000 points. If they gave us pick 17 (1025) and a future second (500ish) we'd have to give them all of 36, 39, 41, 54, 57, 63, 68 = 1933. I don't know if that works in terms of how many picks they can take to the draft - @mrposhman might?

So after all that, we'd have 1, 6, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, and two extra second-rounders for next year. We would almost certainly trade at least one of the 20s picks for a 2025 first-rounder.

And that's how you go hard at the draft without trading out prime Shai Bolton @Carter @Baron Samedi Or is that too conservative?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users