2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Our second round pick - currently pick 21 will draft out to around 26 or so you'd think come draft night.

Will believe Graham will get the sort of offer to trigger that compo when see it. Can't see it happening.

He's probably somewhere between a Band 3 and Band 4 IMO.

Last 2 drafts:

Band 3 - 2nd round - 2022 - Karl Amon, Dan McStay - none in 2023
Band 4 - End of 2nd - none in 2022 - James Jordan, Matt Flynn
Band 5 - 3rd round - 2022 - Jayden Hunt, Liam Jones, none in 2023

I'd say he's better than Band 5 (remember age comes into it with Jones), probably better than the 2 in Band 4 (he's a first team regular with us unlike the other 2), but not quite as valuable as those in Band 3, but to get him over the line if clubs have salary cap availability, they may pay that much more to make it Band 3.

When Reid and Horne-Francis were put as the number 1 kid.
We offered north 3-4 picks for Horne-Francis
And clubs were offering similar for Reid.

What's the chances we get the same and if we did what would the offers be???
Will depend on whether a club sees a player as a clear standout and desperately want him at number 1.
I’d say Draper would be such a player but every club has an opinion and their own intel.
We just need to go fishing if we don’t believe there’s a clear standout.
But because from afar there is an even pool this year, our picks coming back won’t resemble those offered for Reid or JHF.

Reactions: 1 user
GC can already match Lombard with the points they have. They don't need more points this year.

I know that, thats why I'm saying that they can also trade their pick 20 out.

If you look at their later picks after 20 they amount to 1,537 points, so they probably need a bit more to be sure to be able to match a Lombard pick, as that could match upto Pick 5, so depends where they see him going. Those late picks would help get them into a position to match upto about Pick 3 I think.

Thats assuming they trade their 6 with us as I suggested, and then trade whatever the Dogs pick becomes for a future 1st, they could then do the same for their Pick 20, it would probably get a late future 1st from someone.

They go in with a massive arsenal for next year when I understand they have more academy players than this year.

I know that, thats why I'm saying that they can also trade their pick 20 out.

If you look at their later picks after 20 they amount to 1,537 points, so they probably need a bit more to be sure to be able to match a Lombard pick, as that could match upto Pick 5, so depends where they see him going. Those late picks would help get them into a position to match upto about Pick 3 I think.

Thats assuming they trade their 6 with us as I suggested, and then trade whatever the Dogs pick becomes for a future 1st, they could then do the same for their Pick 20, it would probably get a late future 1st from someone.

They go in with a massive arsenal for next year when I understand they have more academy players than this year.
I would be amazed if they traded their early picks for points. Can't see it.

When Jagga last tested he went 2.99 sec for 20m.

Will get his agility and other results.

2.99 sec not elite but right on the Lachie Neale number, will be interesting to compare his other results.

Lachie's testing at the state combine was impressive across the board. His standing VJ of 73 and RVJ of 95 is elite. His 8.24 agility, 14.2 beep and 3.00 sprint are all very good times as well.

• Wow
I would be amazed if they traded their early picks for points. Can't see it.

Future points. They will either trade it for players or for future picks. Thats pretty much what their MO has been for the last few years, depending on where their academy players are coming in. They will do the same again, they will either want players with picks or they will take future picks. Other than Dan Rioli I don't see them linked with anyone that would be worth their Pick 6, so I think they will aim to trade it into next year and I'm not sure many will be that open to trading the future top 10 picks. They would get very good value out of a trade with us like that, and they can either retain their Dogs pick for a player thats not as good as Rioli, or trade it into next year.

What we know with GC is they will be flexible with whatever they do, but what we also know is they won't be keeping at least their 1st 2 picks, and possibly their 1st 3.

Reactions: 1 users
Rioli will get us 6 if GC want him.

What do you think Shai is getting you? From Freo, whose earliest pick will end up around 10 by the time it's used?

That's why I asked you what picks you wanted and what players you were targeting in the draft. Otherwise you're just saying, "I want seven magic beans, not five, and three of them better be red!"

I know what Freo has, clearly I would expect them to get a little creative. bundle up, future picks, whatever. there are pathways. Freo still has some very nice draft capital to play with.

should be obvious, no? your sensitivity to the bolton trade is odd.

The AFL show gettable is reporting g that the suns have put an offer to Richmond of pick 11 & 20 for D. Rioli

Reactions: 2 users
West Coast pick 3 for Baker and Pick 21
I think 12 on its own is optimistic for Bakes. If he chooses Freo it's more likely we get pick 16. If he chooses West Coast I'm afraid we might have to accept a pair of early second-rounders (2024 and 2025). I don't see them splitting what will be pick 2. I think the most likely scenario for Bakes is pick 22 and West Coast's 2025 second-rounder.

The good news is Goggles Cleary is reporting we're a good chance to get Band 3 compo for Graham. That's pick 22. (So we get 23 in the Bakes deal.)

Gold Coast's first is currently at 6 but could be 8 by the end of the year, and 11 by the time it's used on draft night. But let's say 6 and 20 for Rioli for now.

Carlton won't trade their first as a Camporeale bid won't come until after it.

Brisbane might have to match a bid at 2 for Ashcroft - that's just over 2000 points. If they gave us pick 17 (1025) and a future second (500ish) we'd have to give them all of 36, 39, 41, 54, 57, 63, 68 = 1933. I don't know if that works in terms of how many picks they can take to the draft - @mrposhman might?

So after all that, we'd have 1, 6, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, and two extra second-rounders for next year. We would almost certainly trade at least one of the 20s picks for a 2025 first-rounder.

And that's how you go hard at the draft without trading out prime Shai Bolton @Carter @Baron Samedi Or is that too conservative?
West Coast wont cough up pick 3 for Bakes. But we wont accept 2nd round picks either.

We will get whatever West Coast get for Barrass.

Reactions: 1 users
The AFL show gettable is reporting g that the suns have put an offer to Richmond of pick 11 & 20 for D. Rioli
Good first offer. Plenty of wiggle room. It's on.

And there is no way Gold Coast would be talking to Richmond about the price if Daniel wasn't ok with it and aware of it.

Reactions: 6 users
He's probably somewhere between a Band 3 and Band 4 IMO.

Last 2 drafts:

Band 3 - 2nd round - 2022 - Karl Amon, Dan McStay - none in 2023
Band 4 - End of 2nd - none in 2022 - James Jordan, Matt Flynn
Band 5 - 3rd round - 2022 - Jayden Hunt, Liam Jones, none in 2023

I'd say he's better than Band 5 (remember age comes into it with Jones), probably better than the 2 in Band 4 (he's a first team regular with us unlike the other 2), but not quite as valuable as those in Band 3, but to get him over the line if clubs have salary cap availability, they may pay that much more to make it Band 3.

Be amazed if he can get a contract similar to what McStay and Amon got.

Amon is reported to be on $650K (4 years) and McStay $600K (5 years).

Add how wages have gone up and AFL are tightening free agency compo - reckon a free agent would need to be offered closer to $800K (certainly more than $700K) over min 4 years to trigger that band now.

Graham ain't getting that.

We will possibly get band 4 - But that's not going to give us a lot - somewhere in the 40's.

Be amazed if he can get a contract similar to what McStay and Amon got.

Amon is reported to be on $650K (4 years) and McStay $600K (5 years).

Add how wages have gone up and AFL are tightening free agency compo - reckon a free agent would need to be offered closer to $800K (certainly more than $700K) over min 4 years to trigger that band now.

Graham ain't getting that.

We will possibly get band 4 - But that's not going to give us a lot - somewhere in the 40's.

Bands 4 and 5 are basically the same for us. The only way I could see it maybe happen with a Band 3, is if Baker goes to West Coast and Graham goes there too. West Coast may be tempted to offer Graham more of their cap (especially if Barass leaves, he'll open a lot of cap up) in order to get Baker for lower consideration. Ie. we let both go, and get better compensation cumulatively than we would if we dealt with the 2 independently. The AFL say that they don't allow this, but they will.

Essentially, rort the system, we get better picks cumulatively for the 2, West Coast hold onto more than they would have paid, and the AFL makes up the difference.

Other than that I probably agree with you, as I say I reckon he's in between those players that have got Band 3 and Band 4 in the past, which probably means he'd slide into Band 4, but if the above scenario occurs then the compo could slide up.

26?

I can see it moving back two spots for Lombard and Ashcroft, and a third if the Saints lose Battle. I don't reckon any other bids are coming before then. If they are, they're for Marshall or Camporeale, and who cares.

Yeah, the free agents moving have dropped so mightn't push out that high.

You can probably add Kako, and maybe Champion and Perryman.

So 21 likely becomes 25, with small chance of going out maybe one more.

What a class act Finn O'Sullivan is.
His interview on Gettable is a great insight into his attitude and leadership quality. Related to Sam Walsh from Carlton.
Has leadership skills and a great attitude.